Dorado Double IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by drewbage on 06-14-2003

Reviews: 666 | Ratings: 2,822
3.21/5  rDev -22.1%

I picked up a bottle of Ballast Point's Dorado Double IPA last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this brewery for a while and I'm interested to see how their Double IPA is, so lets see how it goes. Fresh 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes great with the name and it's eye catching. It poured a golden amber color that took on more of an amber orange color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of creamy and bubbly off white head that died down to a thing ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking DIPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the hops being the frst to show up and they impart a mixture of citrus rinds, tropival fruit and green hops aromas with the fruitiness sticking out the most and it's followed by the sweet malts that give it candied fruit aroma. Towards the end comes a little bit of alcohol with some pale malts coming through in the background. This beer has a nice aroma, but it's a little too sweet.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a good amount lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart just a little bit of the aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time it's mainly a generic hoppy taste sticking out the most. Up next comes some noticeable alcohol that's a little warming and it's followed by the malts which impart some pale malt, sweet malt and light grainy like flavors. On the finish t here's higher amount of medium bitterness with some alcohol and hoppy flavors showing up in the aftertaste. This beer was just Ok, it didn't have much complexity at all and the hop profile was a let down.

M- Not smooth, a little boozy, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it was smoother and not as boozy.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, it didn't have anything that made it standout for the style and when it came down to it almost every single aspect had some aspects that ended up holding this beer back from being as good as it could be. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, one is enough for me, I wouldn't want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance aroma, those two things were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it, I just don't think it's a great DIPA. All in all I wasn't impressed with this one and it just wasn't what I want from a good DIPA, the hop profile in the taste could use a good amount of work. It didn't make for a good first impression for this brewery, but I'm still interested to see what else they have and it's average at best for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

3.21/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I drank this while on a ski vacation -- bought a bottle from a local store. This might have been a freshness issue, but it just didn't taste like what I expected -- I usually like Ballast Point IPA's.

3.22/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Clear red-orange. Bone white head originally stands about an inch high, but dies quickly. Minimal lacing, just a thin, whispy ring.

S: A burst of tropical hop flavors atop a biscuity malt base with hints of caramel. Honeydew melon, kiwi, tangerine, passion fruit, peach, pineapple juice. Subtle hints of broken pine needles. Tame tropical esters in the background. A very good nose, just a bit understated.

T: Playful tropical notes of tangerine, pineapple, peach, and honeydew melon flit about on the tongue for a brief moment. Resin and hemp seed provide more of a bitter bite than the nose implied. The bitterness builds and becomes quite sharp and acute. Oily and peppery. Intensely bitter ruby red grapefruit. The biscuity malt base is all but snuffed out. Alcohol strays and becomes a bit hot and solventy. Gripping oily bitterness never releases its choke hold on the palate, even into the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a creamy firmness. Low carbonation. Alcohol lends warmth in the swallow.

O: Dorado rubs my taste buds the wrong way. It's mainly the alcohol. This is coming in far too hot for my liking.

3.24/5  rDev -21.4%

Is there something a bit heavy and... syrupy in the flavor here? Hops profile isn't what I'd expected. There's just... bitterness and more bitterness. None of the resiny aromatics that I'd expect.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

For a double IPA, this was probably the least amazing I've tried so far. The brew lacked any head and an interesting color, but was an ok light amber with some slight lacing. The smell was malt intensive and the hops weren't impressive. The taste was alright, but the flavor was subdued by the bitter quality of the hops. Piney hoppiness and not so rich malt flavor were abundant in an unfortunate way. The mouthfeel was overly bitter, but I found the body to be heft enough to carry the amount of alcohol. I was able to complete a pint, but it is not so drinkable, and will not be trying this brew again.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance is amber with a non-sticky white head. Aroma is buttered popcorn with a slight backing of herbs.

Flavor comes is ultra perfumey, with a butter aftertaste. Tastes almost like German Tetts (or maybe fuggles?). Pretty bizarre.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is alright. This beer is not the immediate lovefest you might expect after tasting the Sculpin, a beer where they used more accessible flavor and aroma hops. This beer is not my thing but definitely sets itself apart from other DIPAs. By the way, every time I burp I taste buttered popcorn.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had an off smell after pouring. I can only describe it as funky. Very boozy tasting with an initial sweetness that wasn't expected. I can see the appeal but it wasn't for me

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appears light, translucent copper with visible carbonation. Nice lacing. Looks malty.

Sweet fruit and floral hops combine with a mandarin citrus component. The malt is definitely apparent with hints of caramel and grain.

Taste starts with hoppy, slightly dry bitterness, moves to malty sweet, then finishes bitter and stays bitter on the palate for a long time through the finish. The bitterness is sort of one-dimensional in that it is there, but not particularly exciting or changing. The bitter note just sort of carries on for a while until it fades. Long but not particularly exciting.

This beer feels like it should. Not heavy but definitely beyond medium in terms of body. That is crucial for this beer coming in at such a high ABV.

Overall, this is a good but not great beer. I want it to be closer to 9 ABV and a little less malty. I want to be kept honest with such a high ABV, and this beer doesn't really slow me down. More importantly for the style, the hop profile is a little one-dimensional. Although the body isn't light by any means, the beer is too drinkable for the ABV. I want less malt and slightly less ABV. Not bad.

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a huge white head into my glass. I didn't realize that Ballast Point had something stronger than Sculpin.

Piney hops followed by a strong alcohol bite. I can also detect some citrus. Seems like a "top-heavy" kind of DIPA. I can get down with that.

A slight citrus edge is also present upfront. It definitely has that unmistakable west coast style. to it.

Woo, that alcohol burn is something else. It overshadows the hops on the tongue.

Nah. I'll take the Sculpin over this anyday.

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Kinda thin for a DIPA. Blondish orange and lighter in color than other examples from this category. Hoppy, citrusy, but no heft. Not too bitter, a little sweet. Left me wondering if the server had poured the wrong selection. After being reassured, I tried to evaluate it fairly, but I couldn't help but feel a little cheated.

3.37/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not sure how this is rated an "outstanding" beer. Just your run of the mill west coast malt bomb to me. Done with ballast point. Too many better beers out there to focus on.

3.39/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Beautiful golden color with a slight haze to it. A wonderful carbonation flows to the top of the glass. It displays a pretty, fluffy head that dissipates into an 1/8" inch alongside splotchy lacing.

S - On the nose there is a lot of pine, grapefruit, and tropical notes. There a loads of hops with a strong malt backbone. Subtle hints of lemon zest, oak, and alcohol reside in the background.

T - Wooo! I didn't expect this to be an alcohol bomb. The hops are nice, but the booze is overpowering! Pine and malt are very dominant, but again, it's hard to get past the alcohol. It ends with a bitter and malty finish.

M - Exceptional mouthfeel with a prickly carbonated feel against the cheeks. Love the feel!

O - Very dissapponting. Extremely disjointed and nthey need to add more of something to balance out flavor and alcohol. It tastes like an very boozy Hoptimum. I hope I had a bad bottle. Still love BP! May need a Sculpin to satisfy my palate.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic glass.

Apprearance: A pretty beautiful hazy copper-yellow color in the glass, with a bright and moderately sticky amount of lacing that's pretty steadfast on the glass.

Smell: This is one of those DIPAs that bugs me slightly because even as I've been sipping on it for a while now, and even as it warms, there's a one-note kind of overtaking husk / grainy note that seems to be shrouding everything a little too much, which is not what I was expecting. To me, this reads as 1) Way too much hops, and 2) Too unbalanced. It's happened with a lot of breweries that try their hand at a double-digit ABV DIPA, and I didn't expect it from BP. Yes: some citrus, some floral, but not a lot I can get that's making me keep going back. Balance isn't here, and it's hurting the beer.

Taste: Same with the mouthfeel. Why does it need to be hopped three separate times if it's at the expense of harmonious and balanced malt characteristics? One thing it's absolutely not is sweet in any way, so OK, I guess that's a plus. But it becomes too bitter, bone-dry, and only slightly lingering on the tongue with, again, that husk and grain, and too-bitter fruit rinds and hop oils that are WAY too in your face. I can take it, folks, but I just expected more here.

Mouthfeel: Nicely medium-bodied for the ABV, with moderate yet bright and crisp carbonation. When the mouthfeel and look of a beer are its shining points, that's good, but overall not the best thing in the end.

Drinkability: For the QPR (I forget how much it was, but in the end, I paid way too much for it), I'm pretty disappointed. Ballast Point seems to keep reminding me of Trent Richardson's current Fantasy Football season: I always start him hoping for a lot of good things, but I "paid" too much for something that can't get above what a similar 5th round pick could do for another team with a worse offensive line. I won't give up -- and on the whole this isn't a bad beer in any way really in the grand scheme of things -- but man, this didn't hit the mark at all for me when it comes to what I expected, and I won't be going back to it.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: A slightly hazy dark gold with a thick white head. Dissapates and leaves a nice healthy white ring.
S: Grapefruit, Pine and candied orange peel
T: Malt, Alcohol and mild citrus up front. Quite a bit of bitter, piney, resiny hop on the back.
M: Thick, almost syrupy
O: Compated to other 10% IIPA's I'd say its decent but certainly not great.

3.42/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on-tap at Final Gravity in Roseville, CA

Appearance - A relatively clear golden orange, served up with a white, razor thin head in a 10 ounce snifter. Spotty lacing.

Smell - Juicy, fruity hop aroma hits first. Mango, grapefruit. Pine resin becomes more noticeable as the beer warms. Slight spice.

Taste - Considerably more pine on the tongue than on the nose. Lots of resin upfront and throughout. Hints of mango mid-taste, but are nearly drowned out between the strong pine presence and the grapefruit pith bitterness that peaks through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied. Sticky; near syrupy. Low carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall - I'm not a big fan of pine-forward IPAs, and this is one of the stronger "pInePAs" I've had. So much potential for a multi-layered flavor profile, stifled by the sheer dominance of the pine character. This is a well-crafted beer, but it's not my bag.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

A: Golden color, mostly clear look. Head dissapates quickly and al that remains is a outside ring of foam around the edge.

S: Smells of strong citrus/grapefruit and most of all, pine

T: Taste floral/grapefruit hops with a little bit of bready malt to balance. Then comes the strong pine pine taste that is over the top for me. Finishes with a burning pine after taste. Dry finish.

M: Crisp carbonated taste mouthfeel. If there is a standard DIPA mouthfeel this would be it.

D: If you like hop bombs, this is your drinkable DIPA. Makes me think of the DIPA version of Blind Pig, even though this is two different brewers. If you enjoy the more balanced DIPA such as PtE like myself, this probably won't make your favorite list.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass, best by 6/25/13.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color capped with three fingers of off-white head. It billows to fill the tulip, then recedes into a thin collar around the edges of the beer.

S: Standard West Coast DIPA notes: citrus (grapefruit, orange) with a touch of pine, some malt sweetness.

T: Citrus and pine up front, but there is substantial residual bitterness and a spicy accent to it. A small heat in the finish with the spice gives me the impression of onions, and I'm suddenly afraid this was brewed with Summit.

M: Medium-bodied with appropriate carbonation. Medium+ bitterness; this isn't a total tongue-bruiser, but it makes you stand up and take notice. Light booziness that is accentuated by what appears to be some sort of spicy hop (Summit?).

O: Getting bored of Ballast Point beers at $9. They don't stand out enough to justify the price now that so many others have stepped up their own offerings. This would have been more exciting and justifiable at the price point 3 years ago.

3.44/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

DOB on label. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a clear burnt golden; fluffy eggshell white head that fades slowly and leaves great retention and nice lacing. The aromas have a decent amount of grapefruit shining. Lots of bready malts. Some caramel. Some lime zest too. Some soap. Some alcohol notes. Sweet aromas. The flavors have a solid bitterness to it. Tons of pine needles. Lots of sweet grapefruit. Slightly syrupy. Some resin in the mix. Lots of lime juice. It's juicy, but dry at the same time. The alcohol is there in the finish, but it's not hot or boozy. Mouthfeel is nice. It's full-bodied and creamy with active carbonation. Very smooth. Nice beer to relax with.

This is a solid DIPA. It's relatively fresh so it's enjoyable, but nothing too spectacular. It's well crafted for sure, but I'd still take a Sculpin over this any day of the week.

3.46/5  rDev -16%

Pours a light amber color with a white head and looks nice and inviting.

Very light nose, almost nothing, even as it warms up. Nose finally had a very light pineapple, sage/basil spice to it, perhaps some light apple character.

Medium mouthfeel and medium body with some decent creamy character to it.

Simple grapefruit flavors and finish. The beer's entire character is pleasant, nice, and shows good hops but is simple and one dimensional. Would like more hops; would like more of everything.

This beer is certainly drinkable and pleasant; just nothing special. Has a medium/long pine resin finish. This is a good beer but a bit simple all around. Did not meet expectations of a "Robust Series - Limited Release." Candidly, perhaps this is just not the producer for me. I've found Ballast Point brews "acceptable" but I've never been really impressed. Just my opinion.

3.46/5  rDev -16%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a hazy orange with two fingers of off white tight foam head. Head dissipates after a few minutes to a half a finger, leaving a bit of sticky lacing.

Nose is a bit weak. Some grapefruit and orange peel and pine needles, sweeter juicy orange fruit, and biscuit malt sweetness.

Taking a sip, dank herbal and pine hops, sweeter fruits like papaya, orange and grapefruit. Mid tongue, a bit of biscuit and caramel malt sweetness. Finishes dry, with light grapefruit peel lingering on.

Medium body and well carbonated. Easy to drink given its abv. An interesting beer, but not too memorable.

3.46/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very hazy orangish-gold. A thin white head forms but fades quickly. Low visible carbonation.

S: Hmmm…this smells a bit oxidized. Mostly bready and caramel malt sweetness, some citrus rind and resin hops.

T: Orange citrus up front, then caramel sweetness, bready malts with toffee flavors, resin and floral bitterness, with a touch of cardboard oxidation through the whole drink. Mildly bitter in the hang.

M: Medium body, alcohol noticeable but not overdone, and carbonation on the low side.

O: This isn't particularly good, but not terrible objectionable. It does taste kind of old. I'll re-review with a fresher bottle if there are significant changes.

3.47/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Murky, murky, orange. Little to no head.
S: Malty up front, mild hops, but mostly malt
T: Mild orange, biscuit, pine.
M: Heavy body, Nice carbonation.
O: This is a malt bomb. I seriously do not understand what people see in Ballast Point, especially considering the craft game now. It seems outdated with their beers. Malt bomb, mild citrus notes. Refreshing yes, but nothing to brag about. C in my book

3.47/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A very light golden with about a finger of a head.

Aroma: Piney hops up front followed by some fruity notes that I couldn't put my finger on what fruit it was.

Taste: Hoppy up front. This beer drinks somewhat bitter and does not have a lot of smooth citrus qualities to it. The aftertaste tasted a bit nutty to me, almost like a nut brown ale would.

Overall, this is a standard IPA that would be great for beginner drinkers.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a tulip glass a clear orange with a one finger white head that really didn't last long. Minimal lacing. The scent isn't very strong for this style. But what is there is a fresh floral scent. The hop taste isn't very strong either. But the balance with a rather strong sweet malt back end of the palatte. It also leaves a nice sweet layer on the lips

3.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Amber hued with plenty of haziness, to the point that not much light gets through. There's a fingernail of beige resting on top. Moderate lacing. I definitely get a hop aroma but it is subdued. I'm wondering about how fresh this bottle is, though. The taste is fairly piny in the hops realm, but again it seems subdued for the fact it is a double IPA and for the strength. The mouth is a bit chewy and sticky.

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company