Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pumpkin Down | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Some might think we’re out of our gourd for making a pumpkin ale, but our Pumpkin Down is not like the others. The caramel and toffee maltiness of our Piper Down Scottish ale is the perfect backdrop for a boatload of roasted pumpkin. Just before bottling, we add a subtle amount of spice to complement, but not overwhelm, the earthy flavor. It was a smash at the brewery, and we think you’ll agree.

Added by DoubleJ on 10-31-2013

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.58/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

9/10/17...dark caramel brown with almost no foa. Nutty bready pumpkin nose. Sweet. Soft vanilla nutmegged pumpkin flavor. Some earthiness balanced by sweetness. Light carbonation, almost like a bock. Just ok.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty dark auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pumpkin, light sweetness. Taste is pumpkin, cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer, with less spices than many pumpkin beers.

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with a small tan head, which soon fades to a dusting of foam, with excellent rings about the glass walls.

Aroma: Lots of pumpkin spice and dark caramel dominate the aroma. Rather like pumpkin pie, even with crust aromas.

Taste: Opens with lots of dark caramel and pumpkin spice, and even pie crust. The pumpkin pie vibe is there from start to finish, The Scotch Ale plays well against the pumpkin pie, the spices complimenting the earthy notes quite well.At an ABV of 5.8%, the alcohol is not tasted, though there may be a slight warming sensation. There is no discernible hop presence at all. Finishes with a lingering wave of pumpkin pie spices.

Mouth feel: Very full and smooth, with just a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Really nice, very festive and drinkable.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown bottle, with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at World Market in Austin, Texas for $8.99 plus tax.

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +6%

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Despite only rating it 3.5 across the board... I liked this beer enough to go back for a second six pack. I like that it was not overpowering with spices. I found it easy to drink and smooth. I wasn't expecting much because I think they felt the need to join the Pop-Pumkin crowd, but it exceeded my expectations for what I invested. I would buy another six pack next year in the spirit of the season only.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-Scottish ale with pumpkin served in tulip.

A: Sandy khaki head is thin and quick to dissipate over a rustic orange colored body that appears more burgundy in the vessel. Effervesce is hard to pick up.

S: Scotchy-caramel and crystal malt sweetness. Some cinnamon, nutmeg spices along with pumpkin bread aroma. Strength is moderate with final scents of caramel syrup, toasted cereal grains and baked dough crust.

T: Flavor was sweet caramel and cinnamon spicing upfront. Pumpkin pie spicing, but kept well in check, without being obnoxious or intrusive. Spicing of nutmeg, toasted munich malt sweetness along with toasted apple peel. Some toffee and pie crust with a bit of cola and slight smoky caramel, and dry spicing occuring on the finish.

M: Edgy carbonation, spicy malt base, medium body depth, slighty slick in texture.

O: I liked how this was presented. The pumpkin spice was kept to a minimal in influence and it retained its natural scotch ale appeal. Good accents of the pumpkin blend well with the scotch ale flavor, and spicy sweet caramel malts.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper, clear. White foam, diminishing. Spare lacing. Aroma of chocolate brownie, some fruity esters. Medium sweet, malty bready flavor. Pumpkin notes. Medium hoppy flavor. Light body. Watery and slick. Dry finish, medium lasting.

Different.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I went to a blind tasting of pumpkin beers and out of the five we tried I liked this one the most. I concluded I'm not a pumpkin beer fan. The clove overtakes everything for me.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Okay...Here it is. My first review. Wow. I'm so excited.
Look, I'm not a major beer aficionado or super knowledgable, but I do like and drink several types of beers, and for all the pumpkin beers I've had - this one made me finally sign-up on this site. To me, this is a seasonal 'flavored' beer that can be enjoyed by both purists and those that enjoy the 'fruity/other' category of beers (my beer lingo no bueno - sorry).

Great on the nose. Maybe a tad thinner and/or less 'punchy' in the mouth than the nose would indicate, but I think that's a good thing. This is a very drinkable pumpkin beer and not overpowering like some can be (I didn't feel like I was sucking on my pumpkin pie spice shaker).
It still drinks and tastes like a nice fall season beer while it delivers a balanced amount of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkinny goodness.
....How'd I do on my new zoo review???

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%