Pumpkin Down | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Some might think we’re out of our gourd for making a pumpkin ale, but our Pumpkin Down is not like the others. The caramel and toffee maltiness of our Piper Down Scottish ale is the perfect backdrop for a boatload of roasted pumpkin. Just before bottling, we add a subtle amount of spice to complement, but not overwhelm, the earthy flavor. It was a smash at the brewery, and we think you’ll agree.

Added by DoubleJ on 10-31-2013

I truly loved this beer it was a great surprise and on my top 3 pumpkins for sure.
Look: it was a nice amber color which is a little light for a scotch ale.
Smell: Nice vanilla and nice pumpkin pie smell. everything pumpking and punkin wish they were
Taste: the smell totally comes through to taste. not over powering and delicate
Feel: Nice and light and delicate
Overall: amazing pumpkin, needs to be slightly warm to open up and not feel to thin

4.81/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I found this 6-pack while it lasted at my local Trader Joe's.

With a straight mahogany color, it has a nicely balanced taste with some warm spices like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon (like a German ginger cookie or the Dutch Spekulaas!) in the aroma. Finishes with a nice, balanced pumpkin taste that doesn’t overpower the beer itself. IMO, this is better than the original Piper Down! After this beer, another good pumpkin beer is the Pumpkin Ale from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee.

4.8/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this beer in a 12oz bottle.
L: Beer looks great, a nice, rich mahogany color. Frothy, two finger head. Good Lacing.
S: Wonderful aromas of nutmeg, cinnamon, and malts
T: Excellent front end with notes of cinnamon. Well balanced, with notes of toasted malts and a solid hop finish. Pumpkin comes through well here but doesn't overpower.
F: Great feel, smooth, good carbonation. Best served cold.
O: I was very impressed with this beer. Excellent balance, careful attention paid to the inclusion of pumpkin and cinnamon flavors while maintaining the Scottish ale characteristics. Awesome!

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ballast Point Pumpkin Down Scottish ale has a great pumpkin aroma, not too strong. Pours good with nice head. Dark color to it, like a deep red. Good mouth feel, not to malty, better drank cold. Darker flavor to it with a really nicely balanced pumpkin flavor, not that sweet at all, I recommend this beer to anyone who loves pumpkin beers that aren't overly sweet

4.66/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look:
Pours a dark reddish brown that lets a little bit of light through. The head retention is decent with a 2-finger head of khaki colored foam.

Smell:
Strong smells of dark roasted caramel malts, chocolate, and toasted nuts. There is a slight fruit/vegetable note soon afterwards. There are also hints of spices.

Taste:
At first there is a blast of pumpkin, sweet caramel, and spices. A little evidence of bittering hops in there also. Once the spices die out, there is still an herbal, vegetable, and toffee flavor. This is s great dessert beer that's rich and sweet throughout. At the end, you are left with a smokey wood and roasted malt after taste.

Feel:
Full bodied and quite thick. Remains effervescent throughout and finishes sweet and syrupy.

Overall:
I really liked this one. It is unique in the sense that it is a Scottish Ale - Styled Pumpkin Beer. I prefer Darker Pumpkin beers like this one and Pumpkin Porters. Many Pumpkin Ales are brewed with too many spices and are too sweet. Many of these overly sweet Pumpkin beers taste fake and like there is just a flavored syrup added. I highly recommend this one if you are sick of the same 'ol pumpkin beers year after year!

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

-dark. Deep brown almost black
-sweet dry malts, tiny bit of toffee, nice fall spices, roasted pumpkin
-Sweet caramelized sugars, very nice pumpkin, dark fruits, roasted smoky malts
-A bit thin, but its nice its not super heavy, carbonation is light, dryness is perfect

-One of the best pumpkin beers ive ever had if not the best. Holy shit it was that good.

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer balances pumpkin notes and what tastes like gingerbread notes really well. The pumpkin isn't too much and the rest of what you'd associate with a Scottish ale is readily apparent and it all combines nicely to make a really smooth beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. This is a clear dark red amber colored beer with a small off-white head. The aroma is a nice fresh blend of pumpkin and cinnamon. The flavor matches the aroma. An outstanding pumpkin ale.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Nice Pumpkin / Scottish Ale blend!!

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not a fan of most pumpkin beers. Typically one and done. This one is different. The Carmel maltyness of the scotch ale is the perfect compliment to the pumpkin flavor. Very session able at 5% ABV. Could become a new fall fav.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am a sucker for a good pumpkin beer. I am also a huge, huge sucker for Scottish ales and wee heavies.

This beer is like the idyllic crossroads of the two. Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale is not. I could taste the difference from memory alone, and with one bottle, Ballast Point has replaced Schlafly's as my go-to guys for pumpkin beer. And I still love the latter.

The look, as far as the bottle goes, is great. A Scottish Skeleton pipe regiment in the middle of a disaster or slipfoot accident or something. I actually don't know what's going on, but it's lovely, and that's partly why I tried this beer without reading any reviews first. (I drank this straight from the bottle, as I do every beer. I have no word on the pour, but I'm sure it can be achieved.)

This beer smells like pumpkin beer, with hints of the obvious Scottish ale. If you like pumpkin beer, like I do, you will probably like smelling this. Maybe you'll put it in front of your vehicle's airvents and let it tantalize your appreciative nostrils, it's your call.

The taste is fantastic, I say more so than Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. It has a malty, biscuity, undertone that reminds me of my favorite "standard" beer, Belhaven Scottish Ale. It does feel and taste much smoother than a Belhaven (perhaps, less of a "sharp" bite), and leaves the palate more satisfied in one sip. It goes without saying that the pumpkin taste is present here, though I would say it's less so than in a Schlafly's, probably because the folks at Ballast Point wanted to balance out the primary tastes at play here. Whatever combinations they threw in to make this is a hit on the nail's head.

I wish I would go out and get more, because I really like this beer, and I'm ready for this 80-100 degree weather to die to the season where things die. This beer introduces the warm, biscuity tones of a Scottish ale and the seasonal joy of pumpkin ale to each other. This beer is that lasting friendship.

9 / 10.

Put it in your mouth after you buy one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great pumpkin ale with deep malty notes.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Okay...Here it is. My first review. Wow. I'm so excited.
Look, I'm not a major beer aficionado or super knowledgable, but I do like and drink several types of beers, and for all the pumpkin beers I've had - this one made me finally sign-up on this site. To me, this is a seasonal 'flavored' beer that can be enjoyed by both purists and those that enjoy the 'fruity/other' category of beers (my beer lingo no bueno - sorry).

Great on the nose. Maybe a tad thinner and/or less 'punchy' in the mouth than the nose would indicate, but I think that's a good thing. This is a very drinkable pumpkin beer and not overpowering like some can be (I didn't feel like I was sucking on my pumpkin pie spice shaker).
It still drinks and tastes like a nice fall season beer while it delivers a balanced amount of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkinny goodness.
....How'd I do on my new zoo review???

4.46/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pumpkin Down from Ballast Point Brewing Company