Pumpkin Down | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Pumpkin DownPumpkin Down

Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Some might think we’re out of our gourd for making a pumpkin ale, but our Pumpkin Down is not like the others. The caramel and toffee maltiness of our Piper Down Scottish ale is the perfect backdrop for a boatload of roasted pumpkin. Just before bottling, we add a subtle amount of spice to complement, but not overwhelm, the earthy flavor. It was a smash at the brewery, and we think you’ll agree.

Added by DoubleJ on 10-31-2013

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper, clear. White foam, diminishing. Spare lacing. Aroma of chocolate brownie, some fruity esters. Medium sweet, malty bready flavor. Pumpkin notes. Medium hoppy flavor. Light body. Watery and slick. Dry finish, medium lasting.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I went to a blind tasting of pumpkin beers and out of the five we tried I liked this one the most. I concluded I'm not a pumpkin beer fan. The clove overtakes everything for me.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Okay...Here it is. My first review. Wow. I'm so excited.
Look, I'm not a major beer aficionado or super knowledgable, but I do like and drink several types of beers, and for all the pumpkin beers I've had - this one made me finally sign-up on this site. To me, this is a seasonal 'flavored' beer that can be enjoyed by both purists and those that enjoy the 'fruity/other' category of beers (my beer lingo no bueno - sorry).

Great on the nose. Maybe a tad thinner and/or less 'punchy' in the mouth than the nose would indicate, but I think that's a good thing. This is a very drinkable pumpkin beer and not overpowering like some can be (I didn't feel like I was sucking on my pumpkin pie spice shaker).
It still drinks and tastes like a nice fall season beer while it delivers a balanced amount of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkinny goodness.
....How'd I do on my new zoo review???

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Decided to try a bottle and glad I didn't get more. This beer poured nice and looked good with a decent smell but the taste was very thin. When I drink pumpkin I want something with a little more character not a session beer. With so many other options in this category I won't be looking for more....I do love the IPAs from this brewery and will keep trying their stuff.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pumpkin Down has a thick, beige head, which fizzes away, quickly, a semi-translucent copper appearance, tight bubble streams, and lots of powdery sediment. No glass lacing. Aroma is of pumpkin pie spices and maybe some faint malt. Taste is of mild pumpkin pie spices, light malt, and a touch of background bitterness. Mouthfeel is rather thin, and Pumpkin Down finishes medium dry. RJT

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brilliant amber color and a clear consistency. There was a half inch of off white, foamy head that lasted a below average amount of time. Not much lacing here.

S: A decent, if somewhat underwhelming, aroma of pumpkin, caramel, and some spices.

T: Tasted of a tinge of caramel and toffee (not nearly enough), a fair shot of pumpkin, a bit of malt, a hint of spices (cinnamon and nutmeg, mostly), and a lightly earthy quality. The flavor, like the aroma, is kind of underpowered. None of the ingredients - especially the spices make an impression. Not bad, but it needs a bit of everything.

F: A well-carbonated beer with a vibrant finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This beer is a little disappointing. Not the worst pumpkin ale out there, but far from the best.

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with no date that I can ascertain. Sampled on October 8, 2017.

Attractive looking reddish-amber pour under a modest off-white head that fades.

The aroma brings out cinnamon, sweet toffee malts, and All Spice.

The body is medium-full and smooth.

The taste was a little bit of a letdown as I got a whole lot of cinnamon, a big bitter finish but little in the way of pumpkin. I also get nearly no peat moss, which I expect in a Scotch style.

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

L - Mahogany with a finger of yellowish head

S - Subtle pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Scotch base beer adds sweet malts.

T - Caramel malts are more prominent here, but base beer is hidden in the back. Pumpkin and squash are subtle, but muted.

F - Light/medium body. Calm feel. No alcohol.

O - Not offensive at all, but there's plenty of other pumpkin beers that deliver more on the promised flavor. It's OK.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

With the Indian Summer seemingly coming to a close, October has brought on slightly chillier evenings. Time to pick out those Pumpkin Ales and Marzen. I chose a Scottish Ale/Pumpkin from the wonderful Ballast Point.
Pumpkin Down pours a dark amber and caramel brown color. A quickly dissipating head nevertheless yields a silky white film that retains all the way through.
The nose is dynamic as it goes through several phases. At first it is more cinnamon and nutmeg than pumpkin. Next, its malty backbone is unlocked with bready goodness, amber malt and mild caramel. As the malt aroma develops, so does the pumpkin concurrently. It is redolent of pumpkin pie crust.
Served cold it was rather clean at first. Medium bodied but with a rather thin mouthfeel not consistent with the aroma. However, as the drink warmed it truly began to catch up to the nose. Again, pumpkin was not so much the star of the show as much as the spices. There was even a nice ultra minimalist hops spice and bitterness in the finish. Relatively dry palate with a smooth malt base. Flavors of bread crust, caramel, light butterscotch, along with pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg create a nice hybrid of the Scottish and Pumpkin Ale styles.
I thought this was pretty tasty and a delightful early fall treat. I think it is slightly better than the average aging in here.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Crystal clear burgundy pour - moderate head with wonderful lacing. Lots of bubbles.

Distinct pumpkin smell, little else. Toffee, nutmeg, spice. Sweetness- perhaps a bit too much, making it feel unfinished. Light feel to this. Hefty, overpowering carbonation.

What it lacks in density, this beer makes up in sensible restraint in flavors. The pumpkin pie smell and taste comes thru. A nice entrant in this crowded pumpkin field.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%