Watermelon Dorado

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Watermelon DoradoWatermelon Dorado
Notes:
Reviews: 242 | Ratings: 947 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Cotton_27:
Cotton_27 from Michigan

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Mar 01, 2016
TooGood from Minnesota

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

Not a good beer at all. Smells like fresh green vegetables, tastes like bitter watermelon rind. Extremely disappointed in this beer and am kicking myself for buying a whole 6 pack, the rest shall be left at some unsuspecting friends house for them to enjoy, yeah that's the ticket.

Feb 15, 2016
HunterSBeerson from California

2.86/5  rDev -18.5%

Wow, this was really disappointing. This tastes like watermelon juice, which to me, doesn't pair well with beer. Doesn't really resemble Dorado at all.

Dec 09, 2015
CNoj012 from New York

2.08/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most disgusting fruited beer I've ever had. To be honest it is probably the worst beer that I've ever had overall. The watermelon in the smell is kind of like a jolly rancher and the hop flavors make themselves known, but the taste is straight up watermelon flavored cough syrup if such a thing even exists. I'm not a huge fan of Ballast Point to begin with, but I thought the Pineapple Sculpin was great and I was starting to come around until this. If I was damned to Hell for eternity and could only drink this or Bud Light Lime, I would take the Bud Light hands down every time. How did the make it past QC and into distro?

May 26, 2016
Stooven from Illinois

2.78/5  rDev -20.8%

Fortunate to find a 12oz bottle at a supermarket mix-a-six after months of hemming/hawing. Twilight Zone of beers. You can sense a solid DIPA at the root, but the watermelon tastes like hard candy, and unavoidable at that. Mere curiosity does not merit the $15 outlay for a six-pack. Ballast's Mango Even Keel and Pineapple Sculpin are worthy. But this and Habanero Sculpin barely warrant their curio badges.

Aug 16, 2016
BethanyB from New York

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At first the light amber body is swarming with bubbles, but it quickly becomes still and clear once the carbonation accumulates into a rich and creamy head the color of vanilla soy milk. Mountain peaks of lace are deposited on the glass.

The first scents to waft forth are bubblegum and butterscotch, with just a smattering of spicy hops to temper the overt sweetness. The watermelon ultimately breaks through, but the initial sugar bomb has obliterated any fresh fruit potential at this point, resulting in an aroma more akin to an old watermelon jolly rancher.

The watermelon feels more real in the flavor, but the high alcohol content and the earthy hoppiness of this DIPA produce a dark, jalapeño cocktail-like veil. The combination works at first, with added notes of peppercorn and lemongrass producing a savory take on a watermelon salad. But then, right in the middle of each sip, there's that sugar bomb again, as if a bubble of fresh gum were popping in your mouth in the midst of each bite. It doesn't quite belong, and while the boat isn't completely rocked, it is thrown a tad off course.

The high alcohol content leads to a buttery mouthfeel, but the finish is surprisingly dry, with carbonation tingling on the tongue for a lengthy amount of time. The alcohol warming is long asting as well, settling nicely in the back of the throat.

An intriguing beer with some very good qualities, but the super sweet nature of the watermelon throws the heartier flavors off-kilter. I can see watermelon working better in a regular IPA. In a beer this strong, it seems like a mistake.

Aug 14, 2016
KSOZE from Ohio

2.76/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Simply foul taste. Medicinal in a very, very bad way. I'd be upset if my medicine tasted like this. The malt profile makes it even worse somehow, and comes off like a nasty gimmick beer.

Mar 09, 2016
WunderLlama from Massachusetts

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle poured into a sam Adams glass

Clear amber, solid one finger foam cap, good lacings, a few streams of micro carbonation

Aroma is sweet. Strawberries? Nope, sweet, sweet watermelon. Cloyingly sweet

Taste follows the aroma. A wave of watermelon over beer . Slight bitterness lingers

Light to medium mouthfeel

Meh beer with watermelon , I move on

Jul 29, 2016
ElJacobian from Texas

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer smells excellent - floral with watermelon and grapefruit notes. Very sweet and fruity on the nose. The taste is very sweet too, which masks the high alcohol level. It is also very malty- much more so than the Sculpin or Dorado. People are complaining that this beer is too sweet- I think that's the point. This is a super fruity double IPA- it SHOULD taste like candy. This is my 2nd favorite flavored IPA from Ballast Point behind the Grapefruit Sculpin.

Sep 11, 2016
Gregaroo from Pennsylvania

3.81/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

8-14-16 - On tap at The Landing in New Hope, PA. Served in a short snifter (I guess because of 10%) with amber pink color and a little frothy head. Watermelon flavors come through, but not too overwhelming. Enjoyed a couple of these outside on the deck. Nice and refreshing, but won't really be my go-to simmer ale.

Aug 15, 2016
PA-hunter from Pennsylvania

2.67/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 10% abv

Appearance- Pours a medium gold with lofty white head. On the clearer side with clarity.

Smell- Resiny pine and grapefruit with hints of freshly cut watermelon.

Taste- Starts off resionous and piney with a pronounced citris kick. Some sweet malt in there as well. Upon the first swallow lots of watermelon comes in. It comes in as a punch, then goes to a strong bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel- Heavy in body with active carbonation.

Overall- Not keen on watermelo flavor with a hoppy beer. Grapefruit, even pineapple and mango can work. This was not enjoyable in my opinion. Too much of a clash in flavors.

Apr 02, 2016
BradtheGreat7 from Ohio

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle with the usual, but great Ballast Point label. Poured into a tall stemmed tulip glass.

A - golden body with a faded pink hue with some slight haze. Almost what I'd think a watermelon ipa should look like. Head pours large thats white in color leaving loads of stick.

S - wow. Both Interesting and lovely. Some classic Jolly Rancher watermelon hard candy notes up front with fresh citrusy hop whiffs following. This is a beautiful aroma and I applaud the unique twist going on in this Dorado.

T - this is a hop bomb packed with gushing fruit notes and resinous hop oil. The watermelon doesn't taste artifical to me at all and only adds to the complexity of this hop profile. It's hop heavy no doubt with citrus, watermelon and grapefruit notes. Sticky sweet malt does its best to balance this hopped up gem. The finish has a hint of sea salt character to it and never allows me to get bored of its soft watermelon twist. This is like hard candy in liquid form.

M - big bodied and full of flavor. Thickness is as a great big dipa should be. Some booziness and alcohol hits as it warms but still tasty. Sticky texture coats the mouth with all sorts of hop forward flavor and the watermelon reminds me not only of watermelon jolly ranchers, but of a hot summer day beside the ocean.

O - okay, I bought this without reading reviews and admit I was hesitant to even try it even after I bought it. I lIke watermelon and love dipas, but it doesn't mean they work together. Well other opinions aside, I found Watermelon Dorado very enjoyable and a legit brew from such a great brewery's big time arsenal of fine ales. This is unique no question and carries a jolly rancher in a bottle flavor, but it's also so much more than that. This is liquid alchemy at its finest and watermelon isn't something every brewery could pull off, but by gosh Ballast Point did it. I'll buy this again if I see it. Unique and weird, but delicious.

May 22, 2016
Hyptochrons from Massachusetts

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

golden orange with a big head that sticks around, leaving some lace.

pretty pungent smelling. i think the way others have described it - watermelon jolly rancher - is particularly apt. I know this is meant to be a disparaging remark, but I dont actually mind. the rest of the notes on the nose are pine, citrus zest, floral, light crackery malt. I actually think its kinda interesting to have the candied watermelon note overtop of a more conventional bouquet of smells that you would expect.

however on the palate I found the watermelon to be petty nasty. the candied jolly rancheresque flavor combined with a piney bitterness just did not work. not to mention there is definite sweetness from the malt, creating a clusterfuck of flavors that messes with your tastebuds in a not so pleasant way. Overall thought the smell was pretty nice but upon tasting I think its gone way over the top. not that Im a big fan of dorodo anyway, but I dont think this variant improved it at all. I woould recommend not buying this one, and for the sake of the dear lord definitely dont buy a sixer!!

May 20, 2016
ArrogantB from Colorado

1.92/5  rDev -45.3%

12oz bottle, thank God I bought a single. Looks like regular Dorado, orange, good head. Aroma is artificial watermelon like a jolly rancher, bad. Flavor is more but somehow worse, complete drainpour and one of the worst beers I've had in a long time.

Feb 08, 2016
Briesch from California

3.06/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The watermelon is overpowering. The base beer of Dorado is almost undetectable on this. Tasted like chewing some watermelon chewing gum with alcohol. Couldn't finish the taster.

Jun 29, 2015
bobhits from Kentucky

1.75/5  rDev -50.1%

Look it's an IPA, ok look and body.

Nose has a LOT of watermelon with light white grape fruit and faint crystal malts.

The flavor is a mix of hops, citrus bitter a bit astringent, aspartame is strong, a lot of fake watermelon candy flavor, and some sugar malts...I'm not sure.

Given the odd flavor this one drinks like a nice clean IPA, even at 10%.

This is a pass going forward, I'm not sure what I paid but I'm sure it was too much. This a pass unless you REALLY think watermelon IPA's are a great idea. Otherwise save your money.

Feb 13, 2016
mothman from Minnesota

3.71/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Was surprised to see the low scores for this one.

White head with lace. Golden orange color.

The watermelon definitely dominates here but it's unique and enjoyable. I think this is one of the better variants. Earthy and floral with some citrus flavors. Not too bitter or sticky but a little of both show. A fun beer to try.

Mar 14, 2016
ctbucs from Colorado

I was surprised at the bad reviews. this is one of my favorite IPA's. Classic crisp hoppy taste on the way down and a watermelon aftertaste. Excellent sipping beer.

Jan 30, 2016
kaimiles from California

1.36/5  rDev -61.3%

DO NOT BUY THIS BEER... This is the shittiest, worst beer I have ever tasted in my life... I got a six pack , and it tasted so fucking horrible it actually made me throw up... Don't waste your money on this shit...

Jul 02, 2016
flagmantho from Washington

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: medium orange hue with just the tiniest touch of haze and a lazy effervescence. Head pours a finger of frothy ivory foam; I think it's rather attractive.

Smell: sweet with a lightly fruity hop character and a fresh, not-overpowering juicy watermelon aroma. The watermelon itself is spot on, but I am not quite convinced it belongs in an IPA.

Taste: sweet and watermelony with a bit of a dischordantly bitter finish. It's an interesting beer, but it lacks finesse.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent level of carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: I like watermelon quite a lot, but like I said I'm not convinced it belongs in a double IPA like this. This beer is definitely worth trying, and indeed I can see myself having it again at some point, but I can't see quaffing this on a regular basis.

Mar 26, 2016
dizzylizzy35 from Michigan

1.3/5  rDev -63%

This is one of my top 5 WORST beers. It tastes just like someone slipped a stick of Extra sugar-free Sweet Watermelon gum into my perfectly good beer... Ballast Point should be ashamed. I want my money back.

Jul 27, 2016
Peterock27 from New York

1.89/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Tastes good if you like drinking watermelon jolly rancher with alcohol. Way too over the top for beer IMO...almost tastes more like a mix drink...a really bad one at that.

Nov 16, 2016
jwilcox767 from Ohio

4.17/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It looks like I'm one of the few people that really likes this brew. It's definitely a watermelon-heavy, hoppy, and slightly bitter beer, but it's very well done. Not really sweet, but that's a good thing. Need to get more of it.

Feb 07, 2017
vette2006c5r from Minnesota

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Watermelon Dorado pours a hazy copper color with a small lacing head. A big sweet watermelon like aroma. The taste has a a big sweet candy like, watermelon flavor, then a harsh and unexpected bitter finish. Strong flavors and good body. Overall, it s a not bad beer, but the fruit flavors do not mesh well with the IPA flavors.

Aug 24, 2016