Red Velvet (Nitro)
Ballast Point Brewing Company

Red Velvet (Nitro)Red Velvet (Nitro)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Red Velvet (Nitro)Red Velvet (Nitro)
Notes: This stout takes the cake.

Our Red Velvet oatmeal stout is a mind-bending beer. Like the cake that inspired it, the deep red color comes from beets, which add a rich, earthy character that complements the chocolate flavor and aroma. The foamy head of the nitro pour is our “icing”, adding a creamy smoothness to the mouthfeel. But this liquid dessert still finishes like a beer – not sweet, but just as satisfying.

Reviews: 139 | Ratings: 477 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

If this was Japan in the 1930's, the company CEO might be wise to force the brand's marketing team to commit hari kari. To call this red velvet cake anything is a complete misnomer despite the color of the beer ... maroon with lighter foam head.

If you read nothing else in this review, know that the beer's color is derived from beet juice ... and the beer unsurprisingly tastes like beets. Most folks don't eat beets for the taste ... why anyone would want to make beet tasting beer solely to give it the color of red velvet cake with none of the taste is beyond me.

When I saw this novelty in the store, I knew I had to try it. I love creative flavored beers and I love red velvet cake. As I drove home from my local liquor store, I wondered how the brewers would get the taste duplicated ... obviously chocolate for the cake portion? (nope ...) the maybe a creamy marshmallow note for the frosting? (nope ...) there is cream cheese in the frosting, so maybe a sour note to offset the chocolatey sweetness? (nope ...)

Spoiler alert, you are left with a beet flavored beer that looks like cherry soda and tastes like carrots and wood chips left to ferment in a cup of water.

If this was marketed as 'vegetable ale' I might respect their creativity slash lunacy enough to give a 3 rating. But the fact this is marketed as the most delicious dessert ever created in red velvet cake and in actuality tastes more like sudsy soup than beer gets it below 2 all day.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 3

A reddish orange color, with a little haze, a little funk, little carbonation, and almost no yellow wish head.

It smells of cherries, and a bit like berries. No beets to me.
It taste bitter, no sweetness, I get vanilla, and a bit of cherry.

Light body with very little carbonation. Not smooth at all!

I think I got a really old bottle as this was packaged on January 18, 2018. I got this in Sacramento and I am drinking it here today on November 25, 2018. Really not loving in this brew from an otherwise great brewery.

4.28/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

With this being a stout, I wasn't sure I'd like it, since I haven't had a stout that I enjoyed. I love red velvet cake so I thought I'd give it a try. Straight from bottle, into nonic pint glass. Nice color, nice steady head. Smelled a good amount of beets.
Didn't taste like red velvet cake, but very smooth. If other oatmeal stouts are like this, I may have found a new style I like.
Overall, pretty good beer. Very easy to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Red velvet cakes are delightful, so I was compelled to partake in this beer. I observed that there is a bottled on date on the side of the label. There is interesting artwork on the label by the way. For a nitro charged beer it does not pour out like one, but oh well looks aren't everything right. Wow! this actually does taste similar to some red velvet cake. There is bitter sourness to the taste that is contrasting with the sweet red velvet cake aspect. I don't think beets & chocolate are a mix up folks. I do a agree with this beer being flat & watery. This beer does have a few flaws so I guess Ballast Point just got half way there with this beer, that's okay for a first try out. I would love to try a 2nd batch of this beer that has worked out these tweaks to make this beer come out better & more balanced because I can see that there is great potential in the Red Velvet (Nitro). Cheers! C

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

See, I want to love this brewery. All these themed beers are really great ideas, and the execution is really quite impressive, but the thing about Ballast Point is that all of their beers feel so restrained and taste so bland to me.

L: The bottle art is vivid and quite pleasing to look at, and I see why they suggest such an aggressive pour. It does produce a lovely array of fall colors in the body as the minimal head rises, leaving a completely transparent red/amber body with a little sediment floating around. Carbonation in this is only a little better than a BA Stout, but the head retention is pretty decent. Not bad lacing either.

S: It actually smells incredibly similar to a red velvet cake. Upon sticking my nose in the pint glass, I am greeted with a heavy, but not overpowering vanilla presence balanced against an equally potent milk chocolate. Within two seconds, the sweetness mostly dissipates, revealing a dry oats aroma just before faint sweet/tart steamed beets join the mix. The chocolate has the most stamina.

T: It does not taste at all like cake. Disappointingly, it really does taste like a thin and watery oatmeal stout with beets and milk chocolate. Almost no roast to speak of at all. The malt is fresh and clean, but plain and boring. Zero hop presence.

F: Just awful. Flat, thin, and watery right out of the bottle. Don't do the hard pour thing. You'll just lose most of the already sparse carbonation. Or just do it with one bottle, if you want to watch the foam show.

O: I usually love oatmeal stouts, so I thought this had a chance, but honestly, this is one of BP's wider misses. Even the Moscow Mule Ale was better than this. D-

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%

L - Hazy pinkish, reddish, orange with some clarity around the edges with a medium off-white head that sticks around and leaves some lacing behind. The fact that this is a stout and is this color is pretty amusing though.
S - Slight notes of chocolate, oats, barely, and some earth - the smell is pretty faint however.
T - Pretty much follows the nose with notes of chocolate, oats, and barely followed by notes of earth - probably from the beets. Somewhat of a mineraly, watery, finish. Sweet, but definitely, not getting the red velvet vibes I was hoping for.
F - Not really creamy for a nitro stout with only a very slight hint of creaminess - light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp and somewhat thin for a stout - not very stout like at all. I'll admit, I probably did not pour this one quite as vigorously as I should have to get the most out of the nitro...
O - As far as stouts go, this is just ok. It's good, but not great, and definitely not amazing. Honestly, if it weren't for the gimmicky marketing, experimental style, and awesome artwork, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this beer half as much as I did. Overall, a nice try from Ballast Point, and worth a try to anyone looking to try something new and different.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

Turns out I liked the idea of this beer more than I actually liked the taste of it. It was definitely sweeter than I was hoping for, but creative and fun to try something new.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great artwork catches the eye immediately. Smells strongly of the titular red velvet and beets. Goes down very smooth, creamy, somewhat thin. Otherwise a solid oatmeal stout.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A pleasant surprise. Outside of the creamy nitro head, it's not much to look at and will have you thinking "shitty raspberry flavored malt liquor". Smells pretty fantastic, though; some chocolate and lots of sweet, earthy beets. The taste follows, with an incredibly smooth finish. Maybe a little thin, if I had to nitpick, but this is a good beer. Killer artwork on the label too. Looks like something out of a drug-fucked late 70s Dungeon Master's Guide.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. Bottle
PKG: 18JAN18

Pours a nice clean/clear reddish color, pretty nice carbonation, with a quick/foamy/creamy small off-white head, which leaves minimal sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some beets, chocolate, maple. The taste is malty, beets, chocolate, maple. Medium body, ABV is hidden pretty nicely. Overall, tasty.

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Incredible chocolate oatmeal stout with beets for coloring and a slight flavoring to truly bring out that red velvet flavor. Pour fast into a tall glass to truly enjoy, needs fast pouring to bring out the carbonation.

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

Not good. Do not seek this brew out.

Thought I would make it simple for you... I can not see anyone enjoying this brew. Only enjoyable factor for this beer is the look.

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Had 2/28/17.

Pours a vivid red, mostly clear, with a half inch head and some chalky lacing. Poured it right, but it just doesn’t look like a nitro. Not much of an aroma at first. Some white chocolate- much more as it warms, light yeast, earthy, cream ale, a light spicy aroma. The taste loses much of the nose- cream ale, some white chocolate, light malt and spices, a little bitterness up front and at the finish. Earthy. Just doesn’t feel like a nitro. Smooth, a thin watery body, under carbonated.

I don’t write reviews like this often. This has no direction and is a poor example of a nitro. Only the chocolate worked. I like beets, so that’s not the issue.

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I thought this was quite an enjoyable offering minus the "Nitro". It's just TOO flat, even for a Nitro. Pours a light pinkish/red It could be in my head, but I really think this has aromas close to Red Velvet Cake - vanilla. Taste is also very vanilla-isa. Feel is just very very flat with minimal carbonation. Overall, the flatness of this is a huge turnoff, but I can't let it influence all of the good things happening elsewhere with this beer.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This bottle from an a cellared example purchased in 2016 (could find but not read/interpret the "bottled on" date).

Pours a murky reddish amber heavy with particulates producing almost 2 fingers of beige, somewhat lasting, frothy head that leaves a nice surface cap & collar but little lacing on the glass. Aroma is bready, spicy, earthy, heavy to beets with hints of cocoa, vanilla & faint molasses. Taste spicy & clove (?) like, earthy beets, cake like chocolate, vanillia & cream. The finish exhibits a burnt, unsweetened cocoa & beet like earthiness. Aftertaste is dry, chalky, bitter, cocoa & beets. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderate carbonation, oat creamy & astringent with a peppery bite. Wildly different and unusual but not something I would consider exceptional. Hopefully this was not a product of the cellaring.

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep red color with a fingers worth of head that sticks around for a good while

S: Chocolate, vanilla, some fruitiness (or maybe the beets), and malt sweetness up front. Surprisingly pretty close to cake...

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with some baker's chocolate and vanilla cake-like notes and then picks up the beets and bready malt sweetness. Some bitterness present. Finishes with lingering beet notes and the bitterness

M: Nitro body is very light with almost zero carbonation. Quite flat

O: A decent novelty beer that does well in the nose but falls a bit flat elsewhere. Consume at your digression

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into glass. Stamping on bottom of bottle, 'RV 7-N 17009 11:26'.
Red mahogany colored body, slight haze and particles. Persistant white cap, no lacing.
Aroma of sweet milk chocolate/vanilla frosting.
Taste of beet and chocolate cake. No bitterness, very little after taste.
Smooth body.
An experiment in ingredient melding for sure. Description is better than the beer.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Sadly, disappointing. I have hoping for chocolatey, rich red velvet cake. But instead, I got weird, watery, beet juice beer. The beet flavor was overwhelming. I understand the desire for using a "natural" food colorant but the beet flavor kind of wrecked the beer.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Willi Becher glass.
3.25/3.75/3.5/3.5/3.75
A: Little to no head, heavy sediment in a clear pinkish-orange beer with low effervescence.
S: Smells eerily like sour cream icing, rich, sweet, and creamy -- and doughy, chocolate-vanilla cake.
T/M: Huh, I'm initially very into it, but there's a weird smack of an off flavor on the aftertaste. The maintaste is creamy, thin, butter-vanilla-sweet (without being cloying) with a nice beeriness and balance.
O: Interesting, decadent, and dessert-like without being sweet. Weirdly good, but not particularly recommended.

3.23/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Strange looking beer.

Chill hazed really red colored ale with a small tan colored head.

Smells sweet and very malty. Strong scent of chocolate. Scent of cake batter, best way I can describe it.

Starts out sweet and tasting strongly of chocolate and cake. Mild bitterness. Other than that it tastes like Red Velvet cake.

Mouthfeel is thick.

Overall a strange beer indeed. Interesting but I don't think I will be buying this a second time.

4.62/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

wow! my first reaction. What a beautiful off white creamy head, with a nice lacing. A reddish hue, with a slightly sweet but no overwhelming taste. The beet flavour really gives it a unique but shockingly great taste. In my top oatmeal stout list.

3.34/5  rDev -7%

As directed, I poured it hard into a proper pint glass. The beer was almost hot pink in color. As expected, the nitro gave that classic cascading action with a dense 1" head of pink foam (the pink foam was kind of fun.) The Red Velvet Nitro really is a pretty beer. When it came to the nose and taste, it was a bit underwhelming. It smelled and tasted like chocolate. Granted, this isn't inherently bad, but I was expecting something a bit different. The flavor was fairly 1-dimensional.

Ultimately, it was a fun beer to try, but I can't see myself buying a 6-pack anytime soon. I would recommend others try it, too. It was a fun experience.

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

$2.59 for a 12oz bottle at BevCo.
5.5% ABV, 35 IBUs

"Golden oatmeal stout with beets, chocolate and natural flavors added"

Ok, first off, there is no such thing as a golden stout. The very notion of stout is defined by roasted malts like chocolate malt, roasted barley and black patent, which adds color and flavor. So don't call it a stout, because it's not. Pours out to a hazy light pink with lots of fine particulate floating in the beer, forming a small off pink head with ok retention and sparse lacing. They don't quite have the nitro bottle thing down. A very aggressive pour led to a limp head with barely any bubbles or nitro separation. Gotta work on that Ballast Point. Carbonation is very low, perhaps ~1.0 carb or so. The nose is of vanilla and non-descript fruit flavored tea. The mouthfeel is very weird, nitro soft with a medium body but with a weird cinnamon and carrot earthiness/mossiness offset by a weird metallic bitterness. The taste is truly bizarre. Weird earthiness, carrot, vanilla, cinnamon, metallic bitterness with a distant haze of tootsie roll in the aftertaste. Tastes nothing like red velvet cake, just if you're curious.

I can safely say I haven't had a beer like this before, but it's nothing I'd like to drink again. Terrible. Another drain pour.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Super smooth and creamy feeling, it's like milk as it slides down. A really unique flavor that's a mix of chocolate, sweet malt, vegetables, vanilla icing, cake batter and some earthy notes. It does taste like red velvet cake, but has some fake tasting ingredients. Decent beer, just not for me on a regular basis. Glad i tried it, but doubt I'd revisit.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden red. Thick, short, wet, white head lasts shortly.

Smells chocolate, vanilla, light roast and cream soda.

Tastes cream soda, light chocolate, vanilla and a hint of roast malt. Finish is Semi sweet with a light earthy bitterness. Lighter medium body and creamy, velvety lower carbonation.

Red Velvet (Nitro) from Ballast Point Brewing Company