Victory At Sea - Peanut Butter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea - Peanut ButterVictory At Sea - Peanut Butter

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Imperial Porter

imperial vanilla coffee porter w/ peanut butter

Added by Jason on 12-13-2015

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer pours a deep black with a small head. The aroma is sweet and rich, with quite a lot of chocolate and peanut butter. The flavor is rich and sugary, with loads of peanut butter and milk chocolate, with a roasty coffee finish. The mouthfeel is full with buzzing carbonation. Overall this is a decent beer, though rather sweet and somehwat disjointed, I still rather enjoy it.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a highball glass.

A: Small creamy looking khaki almost chocolate colored head. Body has a nice deep brown black cast with some light escaping.

S: Slight peanut butter a good bit of sweetness some coffee comes in lightly at the end.

T: Fairly sweet some muddled peanut butter flavors like its water down.

M: Medgium bodied decent carbonation pushing toward being thinner.

O: I love Peanut butter beers and this us average at best. It's too thin as far as flavor.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It hurts my heart that BPBC has been suffering slings & arrows lately. Westie Cousin Colby Chandler is their VP & I feel for him. The outcry has been too many & too strange variants especially, followed by a perceived drop in quality. 8=( I am not here to speak to any of that, but if my numbers seem high, it is because blood is thicker than beer.

From the Bottle: "Imperial Porter with Coffee & Natural Flavors".

Well, brevity must count for something. I Pop!ped the cap, if that counts, and began a C-Line pour, as is my wont. The nucleation from the dimpled bottom of the glass caused a pseudo-cascade that eventually settled into three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head with great retention, leaving a load of lacing in its wake. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & mahogany highlights. Nose smelled like Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl ice cream! My parents both liked that flavor when I was a kid, but I rarely eat ice cream as an adult. I'm not into sweets & I think that I have a mild lactose intolerance. I was not getting coffee, at least not on the nose. Mouthfeel was full & creamy, almost like melted ice cream in my mouth & on my tongue. The taste was REALLY sweet, which was not unexpected, nor was it out of spec for the style, but sweet is not my bag. It was very much of milk chocolate & peanut butter, but the coffee was a no-show. Finish remained quite sweet & I came to think of it as a dessert beer. It was good, but it really needed to emphasize the coffee much more strongly, IMHO. YMMV.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no apparent date code.

Pours opaque black with a minimal head or retention. Dark chocolate, espresso, and peanuts in the nose. Full bodied with a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. Rich chocolate with a strong coffee backbone and peanut butter following through on the palate. Finishes with plenty of dark chocolate, coffee, and peanuts.

Great beer, I'm surprised by the relatively low marks.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Ballast Point Brewing Company "Victory At Sea - Peanut Butter"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "PKG03OCT18" and sampled on 02NOV18

Notes via stream of consciousness: Typical appearance with an opaque black body beneath a finger thick head of dark tan. I'm waiting to see if the head will drop and it appears to be holding quite well. Let me give it a minute or two... OK, so it held for another minute before dropping to a very wide collar surrounded by lace rising up along the glass. It could have been better, but not bad. How strong is this? 10% by volume; that'll hurt a head, so not bad. In the aroma I find a quick note of peanut butter that's then mostly overshadowed by coffee only to have it come back into a blend. That's pretty nice, I can't argue with that. It smells like some weird breakfast cereal where you eat it with cold coffee instead of milk. Or maybe both. On to the flavor... well, it's pretty rich, and a bit too intense to get right off the bat so let me take another sip. Not unlike the aroma I'm getting a good mix of the coffee and the peanut butter. They go back and forth as well, sometimes with more PB and sometimes more java. It's got some bitterness to it but it's not too much, it's enough to balance the rich maltiness and then leave just a pinch of bitterness lingering. I'm sure it will dry out more, and linger with more bitterness as I progress through it, but for now it's quite nice. I don't find the alcohol, although that will probably start to show a bit as well later on. It's got a lot of dark chocolate at it's core, and even some graininess, but I'm not finding any yeasty fruitiness - not that that's a bad thing, just noting it. So I've drank about a third of this now and I really like it. I love the rich, roasty, dark and oily coffee bean flavor that has almost a smoky edge to it. I'm not sure how I'll like it at the end, but for now I'm enjoying it. I think I could drink at least another one of these in a row, but I'm not sure I could do another after that, either I'd get bored with it or the alcohol would take me out. So what did I miss? Mouthfeel. Medium-full, or is it full-medium? It's pretty well carbonated but with the dextrinous body it comes out almost creamy. Foamy I guess you'd call it. I think it works well. So that about covers it, I think everything about it works well. The peanut butter is a nice addition to the already good coffee Imperial porter. Worth trying.
Review# 6,320

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark chocolate color with a 1F head in a Stone Imperial pint
glass.
I was expecting a bigger head on the beer- it’s a Porter.

Excellent aroma: mint, PB(?)

Medium-heavy body as fitting to a Porter.

Coffee,PB(?) mint, and coffees taste, roasted malt with warming.

Hoppy finish.

Excellent beer. The taste is first rate. I was expecting a better pour with a larger head.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Not quite as strong a peanut butter flavor as expected but still very good.

Victory At Sea - Peanut Butter from Ballast Point Brewing Company