Victory At Sea - Peanut Butter

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Victory At Sea - Peanut ButterVictory At Sea - Peanut Butter
Notes: imperial vanilla coffee porter w/ peanut butter
Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 377 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
garymuchow from Minnesota

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottom line, I guess I'm not that much of a fan of peanut butter in beer. Now the specifics.
Opened with hardly a sound. I thought it might be completely dead, but it is not. Although, the head is small and moves to a ring only very quickly. Peanut butter aroma right away and stays throughout. There is also some rounding sweet chocolate and coffee included. In whole all right but the pb dominates.
I'm surprised on the bitterness on this. Must be intentional as it is so sharp. It does cut the richness of the other flavors some, so that is good, but my it's very apparent and quite unexpected and hangs on and on. There is complexity to the drink with all the notes identified in the aroma making an appearance clearly. The pb is less distracting in the taste than the aroma.
Body is rich but a little thinner than I expected and more flat, as would be expected based upon the opening. Having said that, I don't mind. Alcohol is not readily apparent, but I'm sure I'll feel a beer this big in time.
I'm a fan of this brewery and the Victory at Sea, in general. But this is not something that rings my bell. Now let's hope the coffee doesn't keep me up tonight.
Thanks Bry.

Jan 01, 2020
GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

2015 vintage; drank 12/29/15 on draft @ Fountainhead.

Black/brown appearance.

Dark tan head; decent lace.

Peanut butter, burnt caramel & vanilla notes in the nose.

Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Cream, vanilla & milk chocolate flavors up front; dry peanut butter & chalk notes on the finish. No booze heat.

Interesting but a bit too sweet for me.

Nov 26, 2019
klarcbarr3

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a nice break from Victory At Sea Coffee and Vanilla Porter, and is quite enjoyable. It is the best peanut butter beer I have ever tasted, by a wide margin. While I enjoy it, sometimes it just makes me want good old plain Victory At Sea. Pleasant, yes! Enjoyable, yes! But there is somehow a reminder when enjoying it, it lacks a bit of the bravado and punch that made the original Victory At Sea a genuine classic American Imperial Porter. OK, that's enough sadness. This is still a damn fine beer.

Oct 02, 2019
chinchill from South Carolina

4.14/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle from the Wall of Beer in Clemson ($2.99).
Good looking body that is clear reddish-brown but so dark that it is nearly opaque. It is topped by a thin tan head that leaves little lacing.
Aroma: roasted peanuts, coffee, dark roasted grains, vanilla, chocolate and alcohol.
Flavor: dark roasted peanuts and coffee dominate but not so much as to prevent a nicely balanced mix. The coffee does build in the aftertaste with repeated sipping while vanilla and toffee are much more subtle.
Full body with near medium carbonation.

Sep 21, 2019
defunksta from Illinois

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a jet black and syrupy consistency. Very mild, tan head, but it lingers.
Aroma: Aromas of chocolate milk and peanuts. More peanuts than peanut butter, as the aroma is not too strong. Some coffee bitterness underneath.
Taste: Strong flavors of chocolate milk. Definitely the original hot chocolate too. Some roasted coffee and molasses. Decent amount of hop bitterness, but ultimately the chocolate malt sweetness wins in the end and lingers on the tongue. Peanut butter isn't very appreciable until it lingers on the tongue.
Feel: Heavy bodied. Syrupy. Mild carbonation. Drinks decently bitter, but the chocolate flavor and sweetness wins out. Balanced though, nonetheless.

Overall: An interesting twist on their original imperial porter. Definitely impressively bitter for a porter. Not overly sweet which is nice. The peanut butter is relatively mild. Drinks like a syrupy, milk chocolate and coffee, with a mild peanut butter ice cream aftertaste.

May 10, 2019
AyatollahGold from Indiana

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%

Pouring from a 12 oz. bottle into a whiskey tumbler glass, this beer pours out dark brown, darker than cola. It forms a thin, khaki colored crown that dissipated quickly.

The nose brings cacao, roasty cold brew coffee and some vanilla. No real peanut butter evident.

The taste offers more of that roasty cold brewed coffee aspect while showing way to a nuttier side. I still don’t know that I would identify it as peanut butter if not told. Sweet layers of chocolate and vanilla. It does have a Reese’s pieces resemblance in there once it warms up a little.

There is some booze showing in this one. It is warm on the back end of things, which I like. Warm on the lips, full bodied and well carbonated. Really smooth coffee, not bitter or acidic.

Overall, I would’ve liked to detect more peanut butter as this is the peanut butter version, but it’s still such a solid beer because of the base. Full bodied and warm for a porter with loads of flavor from coffee, some nuttiness and the sweet layers of chocolate and vanilla.

Feb 22, 2019
kojevergas from Louisiana

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

FORMAT: 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pry-off crown cap.

"Imperial porter." "Porter with coffee & natural flavors."

From their website: "We took our trademark robust porter brewed with Caffè Calabria coffee and vanilla and added peanut butter, adding another level to this roasty, flavorful beer!" 10% ABV. 65 IBUs.

APPEARANCE: ~3cm head height. Khaki in colour. Somewhat creamy, somewhat frothy. ~6+ minute retention.

Body is an opaque cola black. No yeast/lees are visible within.

AROMA: PB2 (that peanut butter powder product), chocolate malt, artificial peanut paste, dark malt sweetness, vanillin, and a hint of coffee roast (but no actual java/coffee aromatics).

Seems artificial, which is off-putting. Suggests a cloyingly sweet beer riddled with additives.

Aromatic intensity is average. Not hoppy, yeasty, or boozy.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Tastes as the aroma suggested, which is to say it's overly sweet, tastes artificial, and is more additive-dominant than beer-like. Chocolate malts and dark malts take a backseat to artificial peanut butter flavour, vanillin/imitation vanilla extract, and a hint of coffee. Lacks any overt hoppy or yeasty notes. Imbalanced given the lack of any bittering ingredients to tackle all the additive and malt-derived sweetness.

Heavy and thick on the palate, rendering it unrefreshing. Smooth, wet, viscous. Not warm or boozy, which is a plus, but a silkier feel and a more medium-bodied mouthfeel would help it aid flavour delivery.

OVERALL: Adding fake peanut butter flavoring to Victory At Sea doesn't improve it, it destroys it. I'm fatigued with these additive-laden high calorie monster stouts & porters, and I can't see how others aren't also. At a minimum, I'd expect a peanut butter beer to deliver genuine peanut butter flavour, but this reeks of artifice and lacks basic balance. I'll manage to finish the bottle in one sitting to my dentist's chagrin, but as a big fan of the base beer I can't recommend this to anyone.

C / AVERAGE

Feb 17, 2019
Nass from Florida

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Some scary looking bottle artwork. I do like the regular Victory At Sea so let's see how this variant goes & I am a fan of peanut butter so I have some good expectations for this. I am getting the peanut butter, it's very sweet, but I am not getting much coffee, I am getting roasted malts, but the main thing is some peanut butter sweetness, BUT is ist peanut butter or JUST peanut butter flavor because there is a lot of sweetness going on. I agree it's not much better than the regular victory at sea, I don't know what they are going for with this beer but it's not knocking my socks off too artificial. Cheers! B

Feb 03, 2019
CanConPhilly from Pennsylvania

3.87/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L - 1-finger hazelnut head atop a dark brown body.

S - peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar.

T - lots of pb and milk chocolate. Vanilla and burnt coffee. Some metallic harshness on the finish. Moderate-low bitterness. Low sweetness. Low booziness.

F - medium body and carb.

O - the abrasive, metallic finish detracts greatly.

Jan 05, 2019
Reef from South Carolina

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. no packaging date
Opaque ebony hue with scant tan head
Prominent peanut butter, vanilla,milk chocolate, molasses scents
Tastes like coffee, peanut butter, light nuttiness. Astringency when cold mellows as the glass warms.
Medium mouthfeel, sweet initially changing to a bitter finish.
No off notes but not an improvement over original VAS.

Dec 28, 2018
SawDog505 from New Hampshire

3.79/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 16 oz can shaped pint glass not sure when it was bottled. Pours a very dark near pitch black with a 2 plus finger light brown head that leaves some attractive thin wisps of lace behind, as it slowly settles and ABV is 10% now. 4

Smell is big vanilla, some coffee, molasses, and peanut butter and chocolate.3.75

Taste follows vanilla, coffee, cocoa, molasses, and some peanut butter and some hints of boozyness come in the bold finish. 3.75

Mouthfeel is a big medium, gentle carbonation, a tad dry, and at 10% ABV goes down pretty darn easy. 4

Overall this is a solid brew, not earth shattering by any stretch and not close to my favorite of the many variants they have, but pretty nice. 3.75

Dec 16, 2018
Czequershuus from Minnesota

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer pours a deep black with a small head. The aroma is sweet and rich, with quite a lot of chocolate and peanut butter. The flavor is rich and sugary, with loads of peanut butter and milk chocolate, with a roasty coffee finish. The mouthfeel is full with buzzing carbonation. Overall this is a decent beer, though rather sweet and somehwat disjointed, I still rather enjoy it.

Dec 08, 2018
SomethingClever from Ohio

3.67/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a highball glass.

A: Small creamy looking khaki almost chocolate colored head. Body has a nice deep brown black cast with some light escaping.

S: Slight peanut butter a good bit of sweetness some coffee comes in lightly at the end.

T: Fairly sweet some muddled peanut butter flavors like its water down.

M: Medgium bodied decent carbonation pushing toward being thinner.

O: I love Peanut butter beers and this us average at best. It's too thin as far as flavor.

Nov 21, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.91/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It hurts my heart that BPBC has been suffering slings & arrows lately. Westie Cousin Colby Chandler is their VP & I feel for him. The outcry has been too many & too strange variants especially, followed by a perceived drop in quality. 8=( I am not here to speak to any of that, but if my numbers seem high, it is because blood is thicker than beer.

From the Bottle: "Imperial Porter with Coffee & Natural Flavors".

Well, brevity must count for something. I Pop!ped the cap, if that counts, and began a C-Line pour, as is my wont. The nucleation from the dimpled bottom of the glass caused a pseudo-cascade that eventually settled into three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head with great retention, leaving a load of lacing in its wake. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & mahogany highlights. Nose smelled like Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl ice cream! My parents both liked that flavor when I was a kid, but I rarely eat ice cream as an adult. I'm not into sweets & I think that I have a mild lactose intolerance. I was not getting coffee, at least not on the nose. Mouthfeel was full & creamy, almost like melted ice cream in my mouth & on my tongue. The taste was REALLY sweet, which was not unexpected, nor was it out of spec for the style, but sweet is not my bag. It was very much of milk chocolate & peanut butter, but the coffee was a no-show. Finish remained quite sweet & I came to think of it as a dessert beer. It was good, but it really needed to emphasize the coffee much more strongly, IMHO. YMMV.

Nov 13, 2018
brewandbbq from New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no apparent date code.

Pours opaque black with a minimal head or retention. Dark chocolate, espresso, and peanuts in the nose. Full bodied with a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. Rich chocolate with a strong coffee backbone and peanut butter following through on the palate. Finishes with plenty of dark chocolate, coffee, and peanuts.

Great beer, I'm surprised by the relatively low marks.

Nov 06, 2018
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%

Ballast Point Brewing Company "Victory At Sea - Peanut Butter"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "PKG03OCT18" and sampled on 02NOV18

Notes via stream of consciousness: Typical appearance with an opaque black body beneath a finger thick head of dark tan. I'm waiting to see if the head will drop and it appears to be holding quite well. Let me give it a minute or two... OK, so it held for another minute before dropping to a very wide collar surrounded by lace rising up along the glass. It could have been better, but not bad. How strong is this? 10% by volume; that'll hurt a head, so not bad. In the aroma I find a quick note of peanut butter that's then mostly overshadowed by coffee only to have it come back into a blend. That's pretty nice, I can't argue with that. It smells like some weird breakfast cereal where you eat it with cold coffee instead of milk. Or maybe both. On to the flavor... well, it's pretty rich, and a bit too intense to get right off the bat so let me take another sip. Not unlike the aroma I'm getting a good mix of the coffee and the peanut butter. They go back and forth as well, sometimes with more PB and sometimes more java. It's got some bitterness to it but it's not too much, it's enough to balance the rich maltiness and then leave just a pinch of bitterness lingering. I'm sure it will dry out more, and linger with more bitterness as I progress through it, but for now it's quite nice. I don't find the alcohol, although that will probably start to show a bit as well later on. It's got a lot of dark chocolate at it's core, and even some graininess, but I'm not finding any yeasty fruitiness - not that that's a bad thing, just noting it. So I've drank about a third of this now and I really like it. I love the rich, roasty, dark and oily coffee bean flavor that has almost a smoky edge to it. I'm not sure how I'll like it at the end, but for now I'm enjoying it. I think I could drink at least another one of these in a row, but I'm not sure I could do another after that, either I'd get bored with it or the alcohol would take me out. So what did I miss? Mouthfeel. Medium-full, or is it full-medium? It's pretty well carbonated but with the dextrinous body it comes out almost creamy. Foamy I guess you'd call it. I think it works well. So that about covers it, I think everything about it works well. The peanut butter is a nice addition to the already good coffee Imperial porter. Worth trying.
Review# 6,320

Nov 02, 2018
brureview from Massachusetts

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark chocolate color with a 1F head in a Stone Imperial pint
glass.
I was expecting a bigger head on the beer- it’s a Porter.

Excellent aroma: mint, PB(?)

Medium-heavy body as fitting to a Porter.

Coffee,PB(?) mint, and coffees taste, roasted malt with warming.

Hoppy finish.

Excellent beer. The taste is first rate. I was expecting a better pour with a larger head.

Oct 22, 2018
Lahey from Michigan

This is a pretty good peanut butter stout. Doesn't have a very intense peanut butter taste, but theres a hint there. Coffee seems a bit more muted than the bse Victory at sea. I think I like the original more, but this is an enjoyable beer.

Jul 22, 2018
superspak from Michigan

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 10/23/2017. Pours opaque dark brown/black color with a 1-2 finger dense and rocky khaki head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of big milk/dark chocolate, peanut butter, cocoa, coffee, caramel, vanilla, cream, toffee, fudge, brown sugar, and toasted dark/brown bread; with lighter notes of molasses, smoke, char, herbal, grass, pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, peanut butter, coffee, vanilla, and light earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big milk/dark chocolate, peanut butter, cocoa, coffee, caramel, vanilla, cream, toffee, fudge, brown sugar, and toasted dark/brown bread; with lighter notes of molasses, smoke, char, herbal, grass, pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness. Light herbal/grassy/peppery hop and roast/char bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of milk/dark chocolate, peanut butter, cocoa, coffee, caramel, vanilla, cream, toffee, fudge, brown sugar, toasted dark/brown bread, light molasses/smoke/char, herbal, grass, pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, peanut butter, coffee, vanilla, and light earthy hop flavors; with a nice roast/hop bitter/sweet balance, and minimal acrid/astringent flavors after finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering hop/char bitterness. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/bready, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is great. Mildly increasing warmth of 10% after the finish. Overall this is an awesome flavored imperial porter style. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, peanut butter, coffee, vanilla, and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to sip on for the big ABV, with the mellowly bitter/drying finish. Definitely less bitter/drying than the coconut/peppermint were; but I felt similarly about it. Not as impressive as the base/BA version as expected. Awesome balance of rich malts, PB, coffee, and vanilla; with solid earthy hop balance against sweetness. A really enjoyable offering, not overwhelming on any aspect. Glad I aged it first.

Jul 14, 2018
Bitterbill from Wyoming

3.79/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On draught at Frontier Brewing and Taproom.

Pours very dark brown with hues of red, small head of foam, good lacing for having so little foam.

Smells of roasted malt, peanut butter, anise, some lactose.

Taste has tasty peanut butter, roasted malt, bit of anise, some alcohol.

Close to full bodied, smooth, little warming after the swallow.

I am enjoying it.

Jun 28, 2018
Parmesan from Colorado

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a dark brown black with a creamy tan head and no lacing on the glass.

S: Strong note of peanut and peanut butter, chocolate and roasted malt.

T: Peanut butter and bitter peanuts, roasted malt, chocolate.

F: Big body and creamy feel.

May 12, 2018
ChicagoJ from Illinois

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4/29/18: 22 Oz $8.99 + tax purchased 12/3/17 at Whole Foods. Multiple pours into standard pint glass. Off black pour, nominal brown lacing. Malt, coffee, vanilla and peanut butter sweet aroma. Strong roasted malt and coffee taste, peanut butter subdued, nice. Carbonation holds in mouth feel, creamy texture. Overall very good offering.

Apr 29, 2018
stortore from Illinois

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%

22 ounce bottle into a snifter. Had 12/27/17.

Pours a dark brown, mostly opaque, with a half inch quickly dissipating head and spotty, soapy lacing. Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, some peanut butter. The taste is coffee, vanilla, less roasted malt than the nose, peanut butter, chocolate, some caramel, a light bitterness. Smooth, a bit creamy, a solid full body, well carbonated.

Typically solid Victory base, but the peanut butter doesn’t really add much here. Worth a purchase, just temper your expectations.

Mar 25, 2018
LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L - Dark brown - nearly opaque black - with a thick, creamy orangish-tan head that leaves behind a good amount of lacing.
S - Roasted, toasted malt and barley with a sweet hint of peanut butter. Slight notes of caramel, toffee, molasses, and vanilla.
T - Roasted toasted malt and barely up front with sweet peanut butter close behind. Notes of toffee, molasses, and vanilla intermixed throughout.
F - Medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O - A decent porter overall but compared to the Coconut Victory at Sea, this one falls short in my opinion. The peanut butter flavor isn't as present as I would like and somehow the fantastic bitter, burnt/roasty/toastiness that was so prevalent in the Coconut version is missing from this iteration. Maybe it's the savory sweet peanut butter that's possibly overpowering vs the smooth, sweet coconut but again I wish the peanut butter flavor was more pronounced. Again, not a bad porter by any means and definitely worth a try.

Mar 03, 2018
Dewsby from Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L) Pours a lovely dark brown, only around the edge of the snifter is the beer translucent. It has a creamy, khaki head with decent retention.

S) The aroma is dominated by roasty, toasty, peanuts and lovely dark malt.

T) The taste is definitely peanut butter forward, with lovely roasted toffee and dark coffee flavors from the malt, but it also has a smidge of resin hoppiness to it that I think takes a wee bit away from the peanut butter and roast.

F) The body on this beer is quite nice, and is a bit silky, but I do wish it was a bit creamier and less carbonated to really accentuate the peanut butter characteristics.

O) I quite enjoyed this porter. I'm a sucker for PB beers in general, and this one is no exception, I just wish the PB was even further accentuated.

Feb 22, 2018