Unfiltered Sculpin Extra Hopped India Pale Ale | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Unfiltered Sculpin Extra Hopped India Pale AleUnfiltered Sculpin Extra Hopped India Pale Ale

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Our Unfiltered Sculpin IPA packs extra hops into every sip, enhancing the classic Sculpin notes of fresh apricot, peach, mango and lemon with a slight haze and less bitterness. Freshness is key to every beer, but especially true for this extra-hopped IPA—store cold and drink soon.

Added by smutty33 on 02-15-2017

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%

3.62/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color with nice head and tremendous clingy lacing. Good citrus on the nose and a good balance with the hops and citrus flavors. Finish is good with a pretty hop bitterness and some grapefruit and pith tastes.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

4.16/5  rDev +4.5%

Very tasty, hoppy IPA. The unfiltered thing is very trendy right now, which makes me wary of beers like this, but Ballast Point pulls off another good IPA in their Unfiltered Sculpin.

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

4.02/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had Sculpin in Beta at my cousin's duplex back in early 2002 & I remain excited by all of the Sculpin variants that have appeared since those salad days. I am very curious to see what this latest variation on the theme will bring.

From the bottle: "Limited Release"; "Dedicated to the Craft".

I Pop!ped the cap, but for the first time in a while, I was unhindered in my pour. Not only was it a fresh bottle, but it was even labeled as "unfiltered"! Man, did I let fly with my pour. I produced three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, tawny head with great retention that left nice, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a lightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9), but I would have like to see a greater haziness, perhaps even bordering on cloudiness. Oh well. Nose had the original swoon-inducing smell of tropical fruit salad, including mango, papaya & guava, setting my mouth to watering & my heart to palpitating. Mouthfeel was medium, which was okay, but I wish that the unfiltered nature would have added something to the mouthfeel. Taste was classic Sculpin, very fruity & almost sweet, but with just enough bitterness to get the point across. Finish was semi-dry, but just what this hophead needed. My thing with this one is that unless the lack of filtration truly adds something to it, I will stick with standard Sculpin. If they increase the amount of particulate, I'd revisit this one, but otherwise, I am satiated.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holding this less than 2 week old brew on Easter Sunday in a tulip with the sunlight shining upon it reveals a beautiful late hazy summer sunshine like, glowing peach color that invited the eye like a woman who you've been dying to hang out with that tells you to finally come over. Smell permiates the nostrils. Succulent peach, tangerine, apricots. Feel is a touch fuller than normal sculpin as expected, no complaints here. Taste is much like the aroma, full bouquet of aromatic fruits. Kinda like a can of fruit cocktail. Welcoming semi dry after bite. Overall, I know Sculpin gets knocked nowadays for being too pricey and I wish it was cheaper myself, but for a treat and being really fresh I have to applaud this unfiltered version.

Cheers All....

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy (but not opaque) gold with a finger of creamy white head that quickly settled

Smells of peach, mango, some grapefruit.

Taste is also tropical, but with some pineiness added.

Moderately carbonated, a fair malt backbone.

Overall excellent. I much prefer versus standard sculpin. This is more tropical

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, no distinguishable date:
Pours hazy as expected from the unfiltered description)m, but includes fairly easily discernible though small particles in suspension. Body is a yellow-orange andvthere us a nice head that sustains easily in the nucleated glass.

Nose is a lightly bittered tropical juice blend. There is an acidic nature to the fruitiness, but it doesn't come across as citrus to me, more like apricot or tart nectarine. Some pineapple and mango scents get in there with a green fruit skin bitterness accompanying them.

Taste initially was a bit tart with a bit of a thin feel. The beer wasn't too cold, but additional warmth did quell that a bit. The bitterness in this beer - a combined grassy/light pine needle and peppery flavor - invades the opening tropical note (more mango to me) quite early. From there the bitterness steadily becomes a larger part of the taste.

The feel isn't as clean as your regular IPA, but also not nearly as soft as some of the newer versions out there. It's not mentioned on the brewer's web page, but I doubt this beer had additional oat or wheat malt additions (though extra presumed dry-hopping and no filtering are involved).

Touted as a less bitter version of the Sculpin beer, I still find this quite bitter (68 IBUs according to BP). I do find the opening much more fruity than regular Sculpin, but this comes at the expense of a cleaner feel to me. To work for me, this might use either a bit less bitterness or a little more smoothness. The fruit and bitterness clash a little for me.

4.3/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.66/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle

Pours hazy amber-gold with a creamy white foam head. Smells like peaches, mango, orange citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, papaya, some bready caramelized malt, with dank peppery floral resinous earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like caramelized bready malt, peach, mango, orange citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, papaya, with dank peppery floral resinous earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy with moderate low carbonation. Overall a nice unfiltered IPA.

4.29/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a growler, pours a mostly clear orange-gold. Big 2+-finger head leaves lots of lacing. Great-looking beer.

Smell is a little muted, but there's a nice fresh pine sap, along with citrus. Taste is the same, with some light candied fruits as well. Good mouthfeel, perfect carbonation. Soft bitterness.

Not sure what the unfiltered part is, but it's a good beer for sure.

4.19/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 17094 into a tulip glass.

L: Pours ever so slightly hazy bronze with a finger of medium density white head with limited retention and left streaked lacing.
S: Typical Sculpin citrus heavy, perhaps some very subtle floral and pine notes. A bit less dynamic than usual.
T: Follows the nose, but again a bit less dynamic than typical Sculpin. Finishes with moderate bitterness, and some lingering astringency.
F: Medium bodied, carbonation on the higher side, slick/silky mouthfeel.
O: While I enjoyed the beer, I feel that the unfiltered approach soften the edges on the original Sculpin which were always one of the things I loved about that beer. If I catch it on draft I'll likely grab a pint, but not something I'm grabbing a 6er of for my preferences.

Unfiltered Sculpin Extra Hopped India Pale Ale from Ballast Point Brewing Company