Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Ratings: 13,843 |  Reviews: 2,489

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

Acquired via trade...thanks Dan! 22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. No bottling info is given and comes in at 7%.

A-Pours a really nice golden amber that is extremely clear. Has a nice foamy one finger white head that deflates into a frothy layer of film that sticks around. Lots of lace is left after each sip.

S-Super fresh West Coast nose. Pine and tons of citrus are abundant. Definite notes of mango, pineapple, and some lemon zest.

T-The pine and fruits come first. The perfect amount of sweet malt comes in the middle before the fruit flavor, particularly orange peel and grapefruit, comes back at the end. Not a huge level of bitterness is in this one.

M-A tad lighter in the body than I prefer in an IPA. The level of carbonation is perfect and results in a very crisp and refreshing beer. The hops also do a great job of coating my mouth with a nice oily, resiny feel.

D-Amazingly good. The 7% is nowhere to be found.

This is one that I have been waiting a while to try. I always seem to miss it when Southbay had it and I am glad I was able to acquire it as part of a larger trade. This is one that I would love to see on a regular basis and deserves all of the praise it receives in the single IPA category.

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

22 oz bottle purchased at the Charleston Beer Exchange. Special thanks to those guys for letting me buy this relatively scarce brew since I can not get it in GA. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip.

A: A very nice looking brew. A light clear orange color with a pillowy white large bubble head. The head does settle just a little, but it never completely disappears. Each sip leaves nice lines of lace.

S: As soon as I started pouring the beer, I started smelling a huge grapefruit and other citric fruit aromas. Just an absolutely amazing aroma.

T: Not surprisingly, the taste is loads of citrus fruit just like the nose hinted at. There really is not much in the way of malt pressence at all. However, the hops are done well and are not just thrown in to create a bitter beer. They create an excellent flavor to the beer. It certainly doesn't hurt that your nose gets to take in the wonderful aroma with each sip as well. This one competes with Dreadnaught, Hopslam, and Furious as the best tasting IPAs that I have had. It is a real treat to be able to drink this brew.

M: Very nice carbonation level gives what is a bit of a thin bodied beer a bit more character.

D: The excellent hop flavor that is by no means overly bitter makes this one disappear faster than I would like. There really is nothing that is objectionable in the feel or flavor to make this one a slow go.

What a great beer! Ballast Point makes some good beer, but this one is a home run.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a hazy orange with a thick 3 finger head. Nice lacing. Aroma is incredible, citrus and floral hops. Light to medium body. Light to medium carbonation. Good mix of grapefruit, mango and pine. Very drinkable. This just might be my favorite IPA yet.

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

Alright, this one lives up to the hype. Finally snagged a bottle of one of these beers. Hard to believe it took this long, considering I live in the same city its brewed. On to the review:

Smell instantly stunned me. I would give it an 8 if I could. A huge bouquet of citrus sweetness. Tangerine, orange, grapefruit, maybe even a little melon and honey. Taste was equally amazing. All the same citrus flavors(and the melon), with a touch of hoppy bitterness on the end. No pine to speak of though, which is a good thing for my preferences.

A little more of a slick mouthfeel than I was expecting, but still very acceptable. Perfect drinkability and delicious, what more could you want in an IPA? If I found this at a bar, I don't think I would leave until the keg was tapped.

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Golden, a little hazy, nice lacing which remains all along the glass.

S: Hops, hops, hops. Piney and citrusy. Someone should look into making this into an air freshener - I wouldn't mind smelling this everyday for the rest of my life.

T: Again, hops and more hops. Nice and dry, exactly what an IPA should be.

M: Nice carbonation, dry - leaves you wanting another sip as soon as the last one ends.

D: Perfect drinkability. I wish I could find this all the time because I would have no problem drinking one after the other all night long. Might kill my wallet, but I think it would be worth it.

One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Not to be missed.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

best ipa I have ever had.
I translated the "born on" date on their website , I forgot the method.
the beer was about 20-23 days old as I remember.
pretty fresh.

A-this is a darker type of ipa , yet has a beautiful frothy head.
I usually like a lighter , lower abv ipa.

S-tropical explosion of fruits and a little boozy.
heavy on the grapefruit, pineapple, peach ,and mango.

T-once it hits your mouth it sooo good!
its a perfect balance leaning on the more bitter and crisp side.
it also has a great finish.

M-medium bodied ,and finishes crisp and clean leaving you wanting more.

O- possibly the best ipa I have ever fathomed.
I have never had pliny though.

for 14.99 a sixer at total wine in naples fl

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very nice IPA. Aroma mellow citrus fruits, well balanced but not screaming pine like some good IPAs. Slight passion fruit. No head retention, not that pretty. Light amber. Very well balanced with sharp but quickly fading citrus fruit. Beautiful bitterness it finish with a sharp tang at the end. Great mouth feel. Coats your mouth. Overall very nice, not the best IPA in the world anymore but still up there.

4.86/5  rDev +11.2%

This is amazing. I am just getting into IPA's now and such. And this is AMAZING. One of the best beers I've had. Period. Fruity and mildly bitter that doesn't linger on the tongue. I'll definitely be buying more. I wish the ABV was a little lower so I could session out on it more but the 6 I drank in one sitting was fine lol.

4.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

a- pours a golden somewhat cloudy color. magnificent head that lingers with fantastic lacing.

s-not your typical hoppy ipa scent. a sweet orangey/tangerine like scent with an emphasis on sweet smelling

m-wow. delicious. sweet tasting hops characterized by orange and pineapple. no trace of malt really. a little heat from the alcohol but really nothing major

t-full body with a refreshing finish.

o-here's an IPA that i will be coming back to. fantastic

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company