Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

#253

Ratings: 14,127 |  Reviews: 2,513
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle received in a trade with funkydelic, thank you so much for getting this gem to me!

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, more towards golden than orange, with a 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and lacing. This looks like my kind of IPA!

Smell: Not the most pungent IPA, but still a fairly impressive array of grapefruit citrus notes and floral hop notes over a pale malt.

Taste: Grapefruit and a slight pine note coupled with grass. Nice amount of hop bitterness without much astringency!

Mouthfeel: I'm not sure on this one. It's a touch chewy, seems a touch undercarbonated, but is fairly spot on.

Drinkability: Fantastic for a brew with so much hop goodness.

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from the big bottle.

A: A deep, honey gold. A little hazy with some good lacing.

S: A ton of pine, but not offensive. Slight citrus. Hops obviously, long before it gets to your nose.

T: I've always been a little hesitant with IPAs, so I was skeptical, but it came highly recommended so I gave it go. I am glad I did. Very refeshing, and it doesn't taste as hoppy as it smells. You get a hint of the malt at the very end. It has a citrusy brightness, and bitterness, too. It mellows out over time though.

M: Light and doesn't linger. But still satisfying.

D: I was impressed with how easy this was to drink given how much you smell the hops.

I also had this on tap at the Khyber, and it was even smoother then. Give it a try.

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Clear yellow-gold. Pours with a big, foamy head that reduces to about 1/4" or so.

S: Pale malts and light citrus.

T: Mild malts with a mild bitterness. Grapefruit and some pine. Finishes sweet.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: When I first popped this bottle and started drinking this beer, I was more than a bit disappointed. For all the hype that surrounds this beer, I found it to be lacking in both aroma and flavor. However, as the beer warmed, it began to show a lot more character, with more pine and citrus showing though. Apparently, it's character is in subtlety. This is a balanced beer that resides on the lighter side for an IPA. . While this beer did regain some respect, this was not the exceptional beer I was expecting.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a fresh bomber into a 16oz pint glass. Slightly hazy, pale orange color. Very little head. Looked very viscous for an IPA. No sediment.

S: Very, very tasty smell. I almost did a little dance. Sweet, citrusy scent is booming out of the bottle even before I poured it. Candied grapefruit, orange, sweet floral scents, and honey. My mouth is watering.

T: So incredibly well rounded. My wife thinks it's far too bitter, but I think the malt and hops are in perfect proportion. Citrus flavors (mostly grapefruit and orange, probably in equal proportion) are the most prominent. Some herbal hop bitterness afterward. Then lemon zest in the aftertaste.

M: Very little carbonation, but wonderful overall mouthfeel. Very dense and tasty with little alcohol flavor. The bitterness may built up on some palates, depending on your preferences.

D: Very drinkable. I'll finish this bomber and wish I had more. Then again, there's a Dorado Double IPA in the fridge...

On cask at Verdugo bar last night. The dude at Verdugo said all the places that got casks yesterday had a different type of hops. Ours had amarillo hops which he said made it a little dryer.

I'm not gonna be able to do a proper review, but let me just say this beer was stupidly delicious. Off the charts. Best brew I have tasted yet. Granted I am still a semi-newbie, but still, everybody there was drooling over this brew.

Appearance was awesome. Just what to expect out of the cask. Cloudy with a super thick sticky head. Smell was hoppy with citrus and floral. Taste was amazing, every drink was a pleasure. Mouthfeel was perfect, a little chewy. Drinkability was superb. I had 5 of them and every penny was well spent. I felt great this morning too, no headache at all.

I drove 1.5 hours for this and it was well worth it. Thanks Verdugo!

4.64/5  rDev +5.7%

What a crazy beer!!
Poured a light pale gold. Looks like its going to be a really weak drink. Body seemed thin to appearance. Very thin white creamy head. Smell was dank. Really strong pine that didnt seem to match its appearance. Smell now makes you think this beer is going to rip you a new one. Taste was citrus, with a little grapefruit. Didnt really get hops out of this. Body is thin in the mouth but full of flavor. Finish is little malty that leaves you wanting more. What a roller coaster this beer was!!! I will definatly be on the lookout to get more of this. This a must try for BA'ers

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Thank Christ I can drink again after a week on meds. Let's break this cold streak with a cold one... and what a cold one! One of my white whales finally come ashore.

A nice golden pour with a big white head. Looks the look.

Tons of citrus hops. Picking up lemon and peachy notes, a little honey perhaps.

Man is this crisp and refreshing! Mother of shit... this only gets better as you venture along. Mango, peach, orange, grapefruit, floral notes. It's all here.

It's a tad light bodied, but that makes it all the more drinkable. This is amazing stuff and more than lives up to any hype. I only wish there wasn't a 2 bottle limit where I purchased this because I should have a fridge full of this at all times. Bully Ballast Point! Bully!

Enjoying this thanks to JoeySchlitz. Pours clear gold with a white tan head. Smells and tastes of grapefruit and more grapefruit. But the flavor is fairly well balanced with malts. So not a hop bomb. Body is medium thickness, as is carbonation. Fairly drinkable for an IPA. Good, but not memorable. Not sure how this is so high in the BA stratosphere.

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

poured a clear gold with orange highlights, last bit cloudy but no big sediment. white diminishing head. aroma is tropical fruit, citrus, and honeyed floral notes. nice sweet bready malts are cleared out by the big smooth hop bitterness. smells and tastes like a dipa but a bit lighter in body. frothy, prickly mouthfeel with a smooth bitter drying finish. very nice overall.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a slightly hazy light golden with a 2-finger creamy white head that has very good lasting power. Tons of tiny carb rising. Nice lacing.

Aroma of grapefruit, floral, nectarine and apricot.

Taste is of grapefruit, ligtly floral, nectarine, peach. Sweet and crisp.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and cleansing.

Overall, not your typical hop-bomb...which is nice. Good brew that is drinkable and refreshing. More balanced than many IPAs.

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Bright golden color with a big white head that left patchy, sticky lace.

S- Amazing! Citrus hops and tropical fruit. Specifically mango and some lemon. Really really great smell. It traveled out into the room after I opened the bottle and my mom even asked what it was when she walked by.

T- Very fresh bright taste. Opens up with tropical fruit, mango, and lemon which is quickly followed by a blast of citrus hops and a bitter finish. The hops are not overpowering or harsh. Its a pretty balanced taste.

M- For a big flavorful IPA the body is on the lighter side and very smooth, crisp, fresh.

D- The lighter body and refreshing flavor give this exceptional drinkability.

I love mango and I got my fill from this amazing beer. I was able to get my hands on two bombers, but they didn't last long at all. If this beer wasn't a limited release it would be in my fridge at all times.

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good looking clear golden body with a soft fluffy head. The head lingers forever and leaves a load of lacing down the entire glass.

The smell is in-your-face pungent. Loads of citrus grapefruit hops followed by pine and just a little touch of sweetness. It smells fresh.

Tastes fresh, too. This is a hop beast. The citrus hops dominate by far and is predominantly grapefruit then a little tangerine. The pine comes in on the back end and it's all balanced (relatively) with a light sweetness. The taste just screams quality ingredients and brewing.

The mouthfeel is crisp and clean. The carbonation is moderate and refreshing. It has a slightly oily body and leaves a nice dry finish. This is bitter, but there's just the right amount of sweetness to keep it from being mouth-puckering. It walks that line, though.

Drinkability is no problem. This is one of the best tasting IPAs out there, it's got great mouthfeel, and the abv allows you to keep going.

This is one of the beers that lives up to it's reputation and deserves to be brought up when the "best IPA" conversation comes up. I wish it was more accessable to me but I definitely won't pass up the chance to stock up whenever I get the chance. Well done.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

22 oz. bomber (no freshness) poured into sweetwater pint glass...

crystal clear golden body with a pillowy three finger head of slick and sticky goodness...decent lacing and good retention.

citrus nose dominates...tangerine and pineapple run the floral boquet with a modest hit of malt and slight hop spiciness, but mostly sweet goodness...

hippity hop bitterness!! melds quite nicely with the citrusy sweetness...extremely balanced. malt is very subtle but helps keep the bitterness in check almost perfectly...

slick and oily with good carbonation...

this defines drinkability...i love this beer, as i've begun worrying if my love of ipas was beginning to fade, but thank god i had this! i feel so reignited!

*i don't care what anyone says, it still doesn't overtake my love for Blind Pig!*

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a pretty clear golden yellow color with a huge white head. Head has great retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Smells of piney, citrus, and floral hops. Pretty much all hops here. Maybe a touch of malts in there as well but I might be dreaming.

T- Citrus, pine, and floral pretty much like the bottle descriped. A nice malt base in there too. Turns out to be well balanced and great.

M- Medium-light in body holds and a bit lower than expected in carbonation.

D- A very solid brew for sure. Easy to drink and great balance.

At long last, nepotism rears its ugly head on The CANQuest (TM)! For those not in the know, I write for Ale Street News (and others) while my cousin, Colby Chandler, is the specialty brewer at Ballast Point B.C.

Re. my earlier review of Big Eye IPA, flash forward about six months to March (?)/April (?) 2002 when I flew out to LA for the annual Black & Gold Brigade Banquet. My brother, Young Gefe, picked me up at LAX and we quickly tooled down to San Diego to hook up with the majority of the then-extant Chandler clan, especially at where Colby's late father, my Uncle Rick, referred to as "The Chandler Compound". Six Chandlers in one place at the same time?!? We are lucky that the universe did not implode. After a gathering at the Home Brew Mart, we repaired to the compound for a barbecue cookout and Colby brought out what we now refer to as "Sculpin in Beta", the original recipe that eventually became Sculpin f'real, f'real. He described it as a "new, hoppy beer with which [he] was experimenting." I remember that first sip as the heavens burst open and angels descended to sing in mine ears. I was instantly rendered insensate and Aunt Carol began to panic and dial 9-1-1 until Uncle Rick remembered that I could become catatonic upon being introduced to a new, highly hopped beer. I soon came to my senses and we ate dinner, but that was a near-orgasmic experience that I have yet to re-create. I remain a big fan of this beer and am equally elated to see it in a CAN!

From the CAN: "Handcrafted & CANned in San Diego, California"; "Dedicated to the Craft"; "A Trophy Beer That's a Testament to Our Homebrew Roots"; "our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold medal-winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting. Just like a Sculpin."

On the Crack, the puppy once again jumped out for a friendly lick of my face. The inverted Glug was just what the doctor ordered. Following the pseudo-cascading action, I was left with a finger of soapy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity and I CANnot stop thinking of my future 50th birthday in 2015, to be celebrated in Lincoln, NE with my Old Lady and Val MidWest. What a gas! Speaking of gases, the nose off-gassed a sensual smell of tropical fruits and mango was chief among them. My mouth was absolutely watering from the nose and I could not wait for that first sip. I tasted the hops just dominating my senses with their earthy, tropical fruit flavors and I thought, "F**k triple hopped Miller Lite! Quintuple-hopping is the way to go!" The finish was so mellow that I just laid back and allowed the sensuousness of the hops to take charge. If Big Eye was in your face, this was an iron fist gloved in velvet. You CAN try to get some of my sixer, but I'll give up the Big Eye before this, if you catch my drift.

The following is my original, on-tap review dtd 07-26-2009.

On tap at the Home Brew Mart facility where my cousin is the brewer! Primo Colby told me that it is being made in a bi-monthly rotation with Dorado because of the plethora of hops that are involved in each beer. He also told me that he could tell me all of the hops varieties that went into Sculpin, but he would have to kill me afterwards. Ancient Colby secret, eh? His wife and I agreed that my need-to-know was not that great.

I had some of this last summer while visiting Cuz Colby and it was an epiphanic moment! Right after I came to, he laid the bad news on me that it was being (temporarily) discontinued due to the hops shortage. Once his wife and my brother got my fingers freed from his neck, he reassured me that it would be back. Oakle doakle!

A finger of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose was uniquely fruity - mango, apricot, peach, orange zest. Seven or eight different hops varieties, depending on the batch, four kinds of malt and a Cali yeast strain combine to create the Tropical IPA flavor that trips my trigger each and every time. Coarse filtration to remove the dry-hopping solids resulted in a deep golden-yellow color with NE-quality clarity. BTW, Cuz Colby was forthcoming with some info and asked that his assistance be recognized. Mouthfeel was medium with a uniquely tart/fruity flavor that reminded me of popping an entire roll of Tropical Friut Life Savers (papaya, mango, apricot, peach) in my mouth. The finish was dry, orangish, yummy. Try some today!

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at Toronado.

Bright gold with amber tint. 1 finger white head. Looks good again.

Beautiful smell of citrus, pine, peach, and apricot. Hoppy and inviting.

Terrific as always. Balanced hops and malt, but the hops are the star. That bruised peach/ apricot flavor is a great foil for the bitter hops.

Great medium bodied weight and nice carbonation. Finishes long and bitter, but not too much so.

Said it before, and will say it again: This is the BEST west coast IPA, in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split with ThePeskyDingo

Poured into Sierra Nevada Tulip Pint Glass

Pours almost 1 finger of white thin head. Color is a clear golden orange. A medium level of carbonation bubbles. Head fades down to a thin layer, but leaves some great lace. Nice full walls.

Aroma: Damn this is a fruity ipa. Everything the bottle has listed is here: apricots, peaches, mangoes, and lemon. Big hop aroma: floral and earthy. One of the best smelling ipas I have smelt.

Taste: Very bready initially, then comes all the same fruits that are in the smell. A ton of hop and citrus flavors blend together. Big floral taste all around.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but a little smooth. A nice bite for an IPA. Medium bodied. Good level of carbonation. Ends with a nice hoppy, only slight dry aftertaste. This is pretty much how an IPA should be for mouthfeel.

Overall, this is a very impressive ipa. Easy drinking and a ton of great fruit flavors. One of my favorite ipas. If I can get more fresh, I probably will. I can see why it is one of the top IPAs.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was so pumped to see bottles of this at my local store. Whenever a beer has this high of a rating, I wonder if it really is that good. This lives up to the hype incredibly.

Poured this into my tulip glass. Pours a dark orange with a good inch-sized ivory head on top. Decent retention, but little lacing. The scent on this brew is phenomenal! Huge orange, tangerine, pineapple, lemon scents all over this. Absolutely wonderful smell.

The mouth is crisp and wonderfully bubbly. Excellent for gulping. Flavor is big citrusy notes with some bitter grapefruit, sweet oranges, and tangy lemons. Finishes bitter and a bit on the drying side. There's some sweet notes in there that balance this out well. The alcohol is pretty well hidden but makes itself known near the end of the bottle. Oh yes. I could drink this all night. This isn't as bold and in your face as I was expecting. This is just an unbelievably good IPA. Freaking highly recommend.

3.62/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle, with no apparent dating on the bottle, into a Burgundy Schott Zwiesel glass.

Cloudy orange color with paper white head, about 1/4 inch thick after a vigorous "straight down the middle" pour. A pleasing color but a surprising lack of head for an IPA, that same lacking head dissipates quickly and leaves little behind. Sure there is minimal lacing around the edge of the beer as it sits in the glass and also some spotty pea sized dots from rim to liquid but this thing should be clinging on for dear life.

A great freshness to the nose with prickly, sappy, orange pith, dried evergreen, sage, rosemary and clove notes. A touch of malt comes through in the nose as well giving a more bass toned note of vanilla and cocoa nibs. A solid but somewhat four-square nose, nothing to set it apart from many others but well done nonetheless.

This is just exactly what you'd expect and not much else on the palate with a nice hop driven attack and just enough malt, sweet fruit character and carbonation to keep it from becoming burdensome. Sure the flavors are plenty tasty with the dry, earth side of the hops coming forth showing collard greens-like bitterness, grapefruit rind and a nice stony lace to the forest-y flavors, but there just isn't much depth here. Everything seems to be only on the surface.

In the mouth this sits a bit heavy and cumbersome, not from a cloying sweetness or over carbonation but from lack of a driving force or direction. It seems just sort of lifeless, without energy or verve, something just floating by aimlessly.

Because of the reasonable ABV level here this is more drinkable than most "modern" IPAs I've had, but when I want to go this route it is usually because I want to have a one or two beer night. I'm not worried about my palate being stepped on and treated like a rag doll; I know what I'm in for. But this seems to be drinkable for lack of any original character rather than impeccable balance or interesting, complex flavors.

Honestly IPAs are not really high up on my personal fave list but I've had many that are way better than this. I think my expectations were a bit too high here or the hype machine on this was just a bit too out of control. Either way it is something that I wouldn't necessarily want to buy again.

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a very pale straw color - nice and clear. Kind of a light orange. With a vigorous pour, you get quite a head, a less vigorous pour will yield a nice dense little pad of carbonation. It leaves just a bit of lacing, and has decent retention. A little lighter than I'd expect, but very nice looking. Upfront, the nose is very leafy and grassy. Just like fresh hops. But then you start to smell some grapefruit, some peach and mango, a little lemon, then just pure powdery, polleny resins. A brilliant hop profile. If you can smell any malt, it's light and powdery. The taste follows suit pretty well. Comes up with some sticky, resinous hops at first. You move from grassy and floral, kind of herbal, actually very herbal for a moment, then to a bit of citrus, then really leafy and resinous in the finish. Nice hop profile. The malt is a little sticky, but overall, this is a very dry beer. There isn't much breadiness, but there is a slight crackery taste. The malt profile is a bit tough to judge when this one is fresh, but I kind of like it like that. Very nice body. About medium, with the perfect level of dryness. Not quite puckering, but definitely no sweetness to block out the hops. Pretty good. A bit thinner than a really great IPA though, and it's a little sticky feeling. It actually was kind of slow starting, I just wanted to relax and savor every little sip, and I really did. I loved it. Overall, one of the best IPAs out there. It almost borders on DIPA, but its still a bit different. A great beer, and if you can find it, but it immediately.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle Pours a clear golden with a frothy white head. The head lasts well and produces spotty lacing. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce, citrus, peaches, and some bread. Has a good carbonation. The flavor is real good. Mild bitterness, with good hoppy kick. Real smooth mouthfeel. Blended very well. Has a medium body. The texture is a touch oily. Has a good solid finish with an excellent aftertaste. I waited for this one for a while. Too bad the store only sold one to a customer

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Shared a bomber at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA for $14. Totally worth it. This is easily one of the best IPA's I've had in sometime. Reminds me in terms of quality of the pint of Town Hall Masala Mama I had last week. The hops jump out of the glass once the beer is poured - I love when that happens. The hops are a mix of spicy citrus that are juicy, but dry and drinkable. There are also tasty notes of apricot, white grape, and orange peel.The aftertaste just doesn't go away. I had to go out of my way to find an even bigger beer to follow this up, otherwise this beer would have still been hanging on my palate.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a rather pale orange color, with a huge two finger, white head. Just some stray carbonation in the brew; excellent clarity. Heads sticks around a while, and leaves a little lacing. Great work on the aroma hop additions, as this may be one of the most delicious smelling IPAs. There must be some combination of Cascade, Amarillo, Simcoe and the like, as it is an excellent citrus hop aroma (my personal favorite). There is a mix of sweet mango and tart grapefruit, I just love it. Taste is not as pronounced as the aroma, but is certainly an excellent IPA. A slightly more earthy hop flavor is in the taste, but still retains the citrus characteristics I love. Near perfectly balanced, as the hop flavor is there, prominent, without being overwhelming. Light and crisp in your mouth, and just a little hop slickness left in your mouth after a sip. The balanced hop profile makes this quite an easy sipper, no rough edges at all. I love some "hop bombs," and this IPA certainly has hops, but you have to appreciate the balance coming from a beer with this amount of hop aroma and flavor.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Yellow, almost straw-colored (great to see an IPA of this magnitude that's actually a pale ale). A rather thin white head settles in a moderate pace.

S: Massive hop aromas. Plenty of exotic fruits, but not so dominated by grapefruits as many other hop forward beers are. Instead here are generous amounts of mango and passion fruits (along with the grapefruit of course). Here is also a very pleasant smell of elder flowers. Some pine needles and hop resins. Biscuity malts are present as well.

T: Replicates the smell with very fresh hop flavors all around. Exotic fruits (grapefruit, mango, passion fruit) mix with elder flowers and hop resins. A semi-sweet crisp and biscuity malty backbone. The finish is really bitter with notes of pine-needles and, citric notes and grassy hop notes.

M: Medium to semi-full body, nice sticky mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation.

D: This is a great IPA with a massive and very tasty hop profile. Still, it manages to stay very balanced. The malts are almost perfectly suited for the hop centered flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this out of a bomber today that I'd been saving for a special occasion, and turns out HBO's Sunday Lineup was that occasion. Poured into a pint glass and away we go.

Appearance: Pours with just a slight head and kind-of yellowish with less carbonation than I was expecting. Laces decently, but overall just a little lower than expected.

Smell: Where the look lets down, the smell refuses to. Awesome, unique, and for a lack of better words, perfect. Not your traditional IPA to say the least, as the hops aren't that floral or piny with say Centennials or Chinook types, but huge notes of grapefruit, pear, mango, and just general citrus that is out of this world. Hands down, I have never smelled a beer quite as diverse and aromatically pleasing as this one. God damn.

Taste: Whew, very much like the smell, with citrus upfront and malty balance on the back-end. Superbly balanced overall, but I really wanted just a bit more bitterness, since for as hoppy as this is, it's really not super-bitter. That's okay though, this is just at 7% and not a DIPA, but the flavor is fantastic and fruity hops. Fantastic and near-perfect, but it ain't quite there.

Mouthfeel: Dry and resiny at the same time. Tastes more crisp than the carbonation lets on, and terrifically smooth. Loved it.

Drinkability: It's been said, but I can drink this all day, no problem. Such an awesome beer, comes highly recommended, and I'm going to spring for 2-3 more of these to hold on to for the next few months, but as the sadness of poor aging hoppy beers goes, I suppose I'll have to enjoy these sooner than later. What a shame eh?

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company