Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

#440

Ratings: 14,290 |  Reviews: 2,545
3.87/5  rDev -11.6%

Big thanks to portia99 for sending this one as part of the Bowl Bash this year. 22 oz. bomber poured into my Cigar City tulip.

A: Slighty cloudy, light orange color. The pour drops a quarter size white head, that receeds to a thin rim and leaves a little stringy lace.

A: Citrusy hop presence with pine resin. Really big pineapple and other acidic citrus fruits. I get a small sweetness from the malts, but it really is overpowered by the massive amounts of hops.

T: Again the citrus shines. More acidic pineapple, orange, tangerine, and even some lemon. It finishes dry and bitter, as expected.

M: Thin, good amount of carbonation. A little crisp for the style. Would have liked this to be a bit smoother.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just above average for the style. I would have liked a little more sweetness. Overall, I liked this beer, I just don't see how it is the top ranked IPA in America. IMHO, there are many better. That being said, I did enjoy this beer, I just didn't find anything that really stood out, solid, just not outstanding. Skal.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Everyone says how ugly this poor fishy is but I kinda like him (or her, I didn't check) in a lovable loser kind of way.

Clear, pale orange color with a thin white head. Head stays as is and rides an elevator down to glass bottom, leaving lacey mosiacs in its wake.

Mango. I beer that smells like mango without any mango, what will they think of next? Pineapple and other tropical fruit, it's like that "all night long," song by Lionel Richie in a glass.

Tastes is, again, mango with pine edges. Some orange liquor in there as well. Not as bitter as I would have imagined: just a lumpy, timid bitter in back. I would have liked more please. Thin,but appropriate, light malt launch pad.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

A- just like an ipa should look like. straw color, bright yellow. 1/2inch head. can tell it is all hops and no emphasis on malt.

S- smells like a fruity/ citrus hop bomb.

T- so smooth, upfront a strait fruit bomb. assortment of tropical flavors- grapefruit, citrus zest. ends with a nice lingering bitterness

m- smooth, creamy

d- drink it all day, all hops/ no malt..true west coast ipa.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a big bottle of this from the good folks at Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, Pa. There was a lot of hype around this brew and I'd had the good fortune of trying Ballast's Big Eye IPA, so I was pretty excited to try this brew.

A: Starts with a light, cloudy amber body and a good thick head which has good lacing.

S: Classic grapefruit and citrus aromas fill the glass in anticipation of a great sip.

T: Opens up with citrus and grapefruit flavors (much more so than Big Eye which has more caramel) then quickly some pine and hoppy bitterness show up on the back end. Has a nice bitter finish, a classic West Coast IPA.

M: Medium body with solid carbonation.

D: Another fantastic brew from Ballast Point, they really did a nice job making this distinctive of Big Eye. Still, I have to say for all the hype associated with this brew, Big Eye is basically on par (I gave it a 4.4). A great beer, well deserving of accolades and one every beer lover should try if they get the chance. Special thanks again to Abe's Cold beer for being such a great supplier of hard ot find brews!

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Awesome Awesome beer! Worth all of the $10.50 I paid for the bomber. Crisp golden color. Foamy white head. If you're looking for a Grapefruity citrus IPA this is your beer. Tough to come across but if you see it, defiantly pick it up. Well hopped but not overly hopped. Has piney notes to it but defiantly a citrusy IPA.
Leaves an great bitter taste on your tongue after a few seconds, which only makes you crave for an other taste. love it!

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Ah, the elusive Sculpin. This fish has eluded my grasp many a time, but I've got him this time! Although I had this on-tap last week, this review will be for the bottle.

Pours a golden orange with a nice fluffy white head, stays the whole time. Leaves great lacing. Many carbonation bubbles floating about.

Smell is pure fruity IPA bliss. Many fruits such as apricot, lemon combine with more expected smells like citrus and pine.

As amazing as the smell is, the taste nearly exceeds it. Almost like eating the entire fruit section of a grocery store in one sip. Citrus, lemon, mango, peach with loads of tingly hops that balance out beautifully. Second pour is a bit more hazy, but I can't see sediment, it just looks like a perfect fuzzy orange. Taste is definitely more of mango/peach towards the end for me, a little alcohol shows through but the drinkability here is excellent. Like usual for any beer, flavors truly shine once it warms.

Pretty ridiculous price for a single IPA but it just feels great to drink, a bomber is no problem whatsoever. Definitely a favorite IPA of mine, deserves the reputation it has.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Amazing IPA. Golden Orange body with an antique white head. Great lacing leaving thick rocky sheets around the edges of the pint. Smell is heavenly: so much citrus and even moderate pine notes. Big juicy ripe pink grapefruit, pineapple slices, vanilla cake batter and tangerine wedges. Very similar in the taste with a sharp pineapple cake flavor, fresh citrus salad (sweet lemon, mandarin oranges and pink grapefruit). Pine in the background, amazing mouthfeel, unlike any mouthfeel I've every experienced before in this style. Bubbles are ample but not sharp, silky and sudsy coating everything. Very refreshing and extremely drinkable, I will be a happy camper when I move to the San Diego area this year.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle into a half liter stein, and kept topping it off. Looks very yellow color and a clean white head. Looks like it could be a plisner- almost.

Smells of citrus, piney, hoppy goodness all over the place.

Grapefruit, unripe mango, and not quite as bitter as I first thought it would be. Still quite bitter, but it seems like the bulk of the hops were added later in the brewing, so you really get more flavor out of the hops rather than in your face bitterness. And has a very great after taste- still very reminiscent of grapefruit. Over all not very balanced, but that's what I expect in an IPA out of San Diego.

Feels well carbonated and not very viscousy, also somewhat oily feeling from all the hops, but it helps keep those flavors on the tongue longer.

A great beer that I could easily sit and drink most of the night. Bitter, but not to the point of insanity, just the perfect backdrop for showing off the hoppy flavor.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance-
Golden yellow, which isn't my favorite color. I'd like more amber or orange in my IPAs. Could be more clear, but I like the frothy head that others have described: it builds quickly and then dissipates right after you have had time to take it in.

Smell-
Here's an interesting one. I get lots of hops, then some sulfur (rotten eggs, skunk?), along with some grapefruit and other citrus that others have put forth. You might think that would be disgusting, but it is quite interesting as a matter of fact, so high marks.

Taste-
I was a little let down here, but it is still quite good. Thin to me, because the grapefruit and the hops dominate. I don't get the pine that others describe, and that is my favorite characteristic of my favorite IPAs (Lagunitas Maximus, Stone Ruination). A little lemon and apricot later on. Definitely good, but there is not much of a counterbalance in the taste.

Mouthfeel-
Smooth, crisp, very nice. I like the superlingering hops. I'm in full agreement with my raving colleagues.

Drinkability-
Goes down nice and easy. The smooth crispness makes me think I'd have no problem reaching for more, but the taste doesn't blow me away quite enough to not want to try other brews in a pub.

In summary, very good stuff, just not the most balanced IPA ever to me. Like the crisp, strong hops, but I want more pine and caramel.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from bomber to oversized snifter. Thanks to womencantsail for hooking me up with this. Thanks andrew!

Appearance - Pours a beautiful hazy golden orange. Poured with a 2 finger creamy white head that stays and stays. As I drink it forms a beautiful thick lacing down the sides, you can see exactly where the drink level was after each drink.

Smell - Wonderful tropical fruit smells, all sorts of citrusy fruits, lemon, orange, grapefruit all come through. Mango can also be picked out. Grapefruit is the largest smell coming out of this one. Resinous pine can be sniffed on the end, with a small amount of sweet malt.

Taste - Extremely fruity, tons of grapefruit, tons of citrus, grapefruit galore. Wonderful citrusy lemon and apricot can be found, pine dominates the back end. A wonderful taste lingers in your mouth that will not seem to leave, and I don't want it to. It is floral and fruity all in one and awesome. A bit of caramel sweetness somewhere in there, but the hops kick back in and show who's boss. Wonderful bitterness apparent that isn't overpowering but awesome for the beer.

Mouthfeel - Maybe a bit overcarbonated, just a little too fizzy for me, was probably my ginger pour. The body is nice though and it feels about as smooth as a bitter beer like it can get on the tongue and on the way down. Nice and heavy, yet not too much so. Next time I will pour a little harder to get the carbonation out.

Drinkabilty - Amazing drinkability, where has my snifter gone already? I would drink this quite often despite the price if it where available in my area. It isn't too heavy or too thin, and has a perfect amount of bitterness for drinking quite a bit of. Everything I want drinkability wise from an american ipa.

My first from Ballast Point and it was no let down. What a wonderful IPA all around.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Reviewed on NYE at friends house. Shared among 2 people.

Sculpin 22 to pints

A: clear with minimal head that dissipates quickly. Some bubbles moving around.

S: hop bomb, citrus with some pine. Sweet and inviting.

T: bitter citrus, and pine. Not balanced, but I don't care :)

M: medium bodied, nice carb.

D: wish it was local. I'd drink a lot more!!

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip, in a side-by-side tasting with Alesmith IPA.

A: Pours a clear grapefruit-colored body with light carbonation, underneath a one-finger head of white foam. The head disappears pretty quickly, and leaves only a light amount of lace. This one definitely suffers by comparison to the beatifully unfiltered Alesmith, but it certainly wouldn't be getting a much higher score on its own. Pretty boring.

S: All hops (big surprise), with light grapefruit at first, followed by a serious dose of dank, resinous hemp and pine. Not nearly as complex as the Alesmith, but it gets equally high marks for being so powerful and so unique.

T: Wow. I need to have another side-by-side with this and Pliny, which is the only beer that this really reminds me of. Huge piney hops assault, mellowed by a bold grapefruit accompaniment on the tail end. Surprisingly, not quite as bitter a finish as I would expect - the hops still pucker me up, but they're remarkably smooth. World class.

M: Firm medium body (slightly viscous), with a fairly small dose of delicate effervescence. Solid, but can't compete with the bottle-conditioned Alesmith in this regard.

D: As delicious as this beer is, its very intensity works against it in this category. Of the two bombers, Sculpin is definitely going to be the harder one to finish off (not that I'm complaining!).

Notes: Awesome, awesome beer. This an Pliny are neck-and-neck for best-tasting IPAs I've ever had (and if you accept the rather arbitrary DIPA/IPA distinction as separating the brews, then Sculpin becomes the best-tasting single IPA I've encountered), and there's nothing like a good dose of in-your-face hops when they're so well melded. That said, taste was the only category in which it edged out the Alesmith IPA (and there only by a half point), so the Alesmith was the clear winner of the competition (4.65 to 4.3). Both are classic West Coast IPAs, and both are heartily deserving of their places in the Top 100. It was a great pleasure having them side by side. Now to get my hands on another Sculpin and another Pliny...

Cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Clear body with a medium gold color. Thick creamy white colored head was two inches and held a few minutes. Decent amount of slow rising carbonation bubbles. Sticky lace clumps.

Nice strong pine and floral hops aromas leap out of the glass. A few hard to detect sweet malt note is there, but plays second to the hops.

A great balance of sweetness and floral tastes. Malt is stronger on the tongue then in the nose. Hops crispness is perfectly in strength against the grains.

Decent thickness on the tongue and a nice burst of carbonation. A cling of hops flavors continue after swallow.

A great brew. Would work well with lemon pepper chicken. This is one that is best enjoyed nice and fresh. If you see it, grab and enjoy.

3.67/5  rDev -16.2%

A - transparent straw, pilsener color, with almost two fingers of white head that reduces to half of a finger quickly, moderate amounts of active visible carbonation

S - super citrine aroma, some serious grapefruit bitterness notes with a great piney side, the fruit aromas continue with some peach and apricot aromas, as the label suggests, though i dont pick up on the mango it refers to

T - wow, whered the fruit go. in the taste, the hops are completely piney, some background dark sweetness, like a bit of brown sugar, theres a sense of a cloying fruitiness, but it never arrives, just hop bitterness throughout the entire taste

M&D - you need to be a hophead to enjoy this, not because its huge on the hops, but that its only characteristic is a superb hop profile, maybe this one sat too long, (only a week in my cabinet) as a pervious reviewer mentions, the supreme quality of this brew is its linger-osity, you can feel/taste the hops for minutes after each sip

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got the word from aglose45 that Abe's has a few of these stashed behind the counter. Thanks for the heads-up Adam!

Appearance: With my impatience mounting, I cracked open the bottle and gently poured this delicious nectar into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. I am immediately greeted with a clear, golden colored brew with a generous amount of white, bubbly head. Thanks to the laser etching on the bottom of the glass, I can see a vigorous and steady stream of bubbles shooting up from the depths of the glass. All the while the ample head slowly dissipates leaving behind plenty of thick, sticky lacing.

Smell: A big whiff of bitter, citrusy hops. There's an interesting, almost spicy smell that is blended in with the citrus that provides some interesting contrast. And hanging out there in the background, like the fat kid picked last in dodge ball, is a little bit of sweetness to provide a wee bit of balance to the nose.

Taste: Gloriously bitter, but far from a simple hop bomb. The taste of citrusy grapefruit is first, followed by an interesting earthy sort of raw spice. The subtle sweetness that I picked up in the nose is no where to be found. However, the most unique part of this beer is the lingering effects of the hops. Several seconds after I swallow each mouth full, the bitterness and spice from the hops lingers on the tongue, slowly dissipating into nothingness. Probably the best after-tasting beer I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation and a full body. This beer absolutely makes its presence on your palate known.

Drinkability: An outstanding IPA. Plenty of hop character and complexity, great appearance and mouthfeel, and top notch drinkability. This is a beer I will absolutely look forward to enjoying again. I am regretting only picking up one bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a pint glass. The body on this IPA is a clear peach color with a big sticky white head that reduces quite a bit in the first minute, but then manages to maintain a thin layer across the top during the rest of the session. Some light lacing on the glass.

Lots of sharp, sweet, citrus on the nose, followed by clementines, oranges and peach. Good dosage of floral hops.

The flavor hits you with some sticky slightly bitter hops at first, but is then followed by a wave of fruits like mango and clementines. The malt base is also pretty good on this, but never overwhelms the hops, which is how it should be. The finish is a nice mixture of hoppy bitterness and smooth fruits. There is also a slightly bitter metallic flavor that lingers, but it doesn't seem to be there on every sip.

I thought the mouthfeel was quite good for a regular IPA. Nice sticky texture, coats the mouth well. Very smooth.

Drinkability is also good. I could easily put down a bomber of this. Almost has the robustness of a DIPA, but manages to keep the ABV at 7%, which makes for a flavorful and easy drinking IPA.

Overall, this is one of the best regular IPA's I have ever had. I would probably still put Alesmith's IPA in front of this, but the Sculpin is a close second. If I see any more bottles of this next time I'm at Julio's I'll definitely pick some up.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

First, if I could give extra appearance points for the bottle art, I would. Poured into a pint glass. Body is a clear golden with much bubbling, nice airy white head that foams and bubbles nicely. Kind of like sea foam, but without the sick residues. Some lacing. Smells nice and hoppy with a little hop-metallic tinge. Good bitter citrus smells, like sticking my nose in a handful of pellets. A little fruity, but I wouldn't associate the smell with a light IPA over a fresh-hop.

Tastes very hoppy and bitter up front, with a decent malt character to round it out. This is what I'd think of as a solid IPA: with a hop presence that tastes like they were put in there to preserve the beer. Some savory flavors in there, reminds me a little of soybean or is otherwise a little meaty. Definitely not light in taste. Some lemon, hints of apricot nectar and peach as the tongue acclimates to the bitterness. Very smooth, drinkable mouthfeel. Sweet. Carbonation is there at the beginning, just enough to be enjoyable, walking the line between gentle and assertive.

To be honest, at the first few tastes I didn't think much of this brew. Half a glass down, I was starting to enjoy it. Near the end, I was looking forward to topping it off again. It'd be nice to try this one either fresh or let it sit for awhile. Looking forward to my other Ballast Point acquisitions.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter... starts with a 1/4 inch off white head that disappears leaving some spotted lacing. Beer is a light amber color with next to no activity. Second pour produces a nicer frothy head that disappears leaving a healthier ring of lacing sticking to the glass

S- Smells extremely skunky in good way. Bitter piney, grapefruity hoppiness

T- Not really alot to describe... just tasty bitter hoppiness

M- Light to medium body with little carbonation. Leaves a good subtle hoppy aftertaste lingering

D- One of the best IPAs I've ever had... say no more

CHEERS!!

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer pours a clear golden copper with a huge white frothy head that leaves great lacing and lasts forever. The smell is a very good and strong aroma of citrus hops,grapefruit,and tangerine. The taste has a bitter first taste,then citrus blast of grapefruit and tangerine. The taste is very crisp with bread yeast and alcohol and a smooth finish. The m/f is medium with all the flavors mixing very well. A great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to masterhombrewer for making the trade

22oz bomber poured into my mug

Pours a very light orange color with a 2 1/2 inch head. The head is dense and is of slightly off-white color. Great head retention that stays afloat on top of the beer. Soapy lacing is scattered throughout the sides of my glass.

Smell is that of citrus flavors with some floral characteristics lurking behind. Sweet citrus smells of grapefruit, tangerines, and lemon. Some smell of honey and candy like bubblegum is also present.

Sweet citrus flavors upfront with grapefruit and tangerines that last until it intertwines with a medium pine like bitterness. Malts on this one are really not noticeable really to me in the background.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Clean and crisp refreshing taste.

Trying this beer was on top priority due to my favorite style being American IPA. Its a good IPA but does not really deserve the hype it gets. I have tasted better IPA's, would put this on my top 5 though.

Recommended to try, but nothing spectacular like I thought it would be.

4.07/5  rDev -7.1%

Served in an imperial pint glass. Pours crystal clear and pale orange with an inch high head of frothy off-white foam that settles out slowly leaving a mogul field of bumped up mounds.

Fresh and bright aroma of citrus - tangerine and grapefruit, some pith and rind.

Big hops flavors right upfront, full of the range of citrus flavors, juicy at first, turning more bitter and finishing piney. Mild honey malt backbone rides beneath, but the hops stay mainly in the forefront. Would prefer just a bit more malt body.

Full and rich mouthfeel, creamy with tingly carbonation. Great beer, very drinkable.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

Served in a nonic pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear golden orange color with a ½" firm, fluffy white head that recedes to leave patches of foam clinging to the sides of the glass, a ring around the liquid and a patch of foam on the surface of the liquid. Sipping leaves some nice lacing. At least some of the foam and lacing persist through out the beer and there are sticky patterns of lacing on the glass even to the end.

Smell: The aroma is dominated by tropical fruits with a lot of pineapple and mango and is simply a pleasure to sniff. There is also some citrus present but it is more tangerine than bitter grapefruit. Underlying the fruits there is a nice touch of light sweet malt.

Taste: The flavors are crisp, clean and are pretty much what is expected from the nose--a citric, pineapple and mango delight. There is no bite from the hops, just a smooth and balanced bitterness that is fruity, citric, piney, bitter and sweet all at once.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth with consistent, persistent moderate carbonation. The finish is medium to long and is one of those where things fade a way so smoothly you just don't notice it happening until they are gone.

Drinkability: This beer is so drinkable that I finished it off in about half the time I would normally take with an IPA of the strength of this one. There is not even a trace of harshness in the hop bitterness. I definitely want another one and expect I'll do so without hesitation next time I have a chance. This IPA is now in my top few for the style and I'd love to be able to do a side-by-side tasting with this one, Bell's Two Hearted, and Founders Centennial.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for trading this one to me.

Pours yellow-orange with a small white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops, lots of peach and mango. Very nice smelling beer. There is good bitterness and hop flavor, with lots of pine and citrus. The pine is mainly evident in the aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. Outstanding beer.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

I must have done something right. Went from no Sculpin to having two different BAs give/trade me a bottle this week. Icing on the cake? My local store just got some in. Wow! Thanks to jlindros and augustgarage!

A- Tangerine, honey yellow, nice attractive head, great lacing. Very good IPA appearance.

S- Floral, lilac/lavender, tangerine zest, lemony goodness. Pineapple? Mango? Maybe... something tropical about this hop bouquet.

T- I can see why this beer is so popular. Fruity beyond belief. Peach? Apple? Lemon? Lime? Hard to place it, but it's fantastic. Little to no malt to get in the way, but just enough to round out the body. Really clean presentation.

M- Crisp, clean, hops are showcased wonderfully. Great carbonation.

D- High. I can see what all the fuss is about. This is some top-notch shit. It's pricey (at least here in RI, about $10 a bomber), but I can see myself buying this again...and again.... and again. Another stellar Cali IPA. Everything I thought it could be and perhaps more.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Served from a 22oz. bottle acquired in a trade from jlindros (Thanks man!) into my Brooklyn snifter at the appropriate temperature.

A: Pours light glowing gold with a creamy one finger off-white head with decent retention and some spotty lacing.

S: Nice scent of citrus, tropical and bitter hops combined with a subtle biscuity malt. I can detect some grapefruit, mango, apricot, and tangerine as well.

T: The hops hit the palate first containing flavors of citrus, tropical fruit, and just a faint hint pine. The flavors really develope as it warms leaving layers of grapefruit, mango, apricot, tangerine, lemon, and orange peel. There is a pleasant bitterness up from followed by a biscuity malt and finished again with lingering bitterness that is in no way harsh.

M: lighter-bodied with creamy moderate carbonation and no trace whatsoever of the 7% abv. A little lighter than I was expecting.

D: Incredibly drinkable as the bitterness is never harsh and the flavors are full yet never over powering. If this were available locally, I would certainly drink my fair share.

Overall this was an exceptional west coast American IPA that pretty much lives up to its hype. I'm glad that I have another in the fridge from another trade and look forward to drinking it soon. Thanks again Jared! Recommended.

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company