Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Ratings: 13,837 |  Reviews: 2,489

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

4.5/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle purchased from CJ's Doghouse in Lansdale, PA for $3.25. No bottle date. normally I wouldn't buy an IPA without some sort of date, but I haven't had this yet and decided to roll the dice. poured it into a Sam Adams glass just for the hell of it.

Appearance-nice golden color with a slight chill haze. lighter than I expected, but looks very refreshing. steady bubbles rising throughout. no lacing, but decent head retention.

Aroma-citrus and grapefruit, but a ton of each. smells great.

Taste-grapefruit, citrus-I get a little of the Fruit Loops flavor others have mentioned, sweet breadiness. I don't get the hops I expected.

Mouthfeel-medium bodied. carbonation is right. smooth

Overall-Few issues. 1 there is no bottle date. this really irritates me, especially on IPA's. 2. I get very little hops in this beer. I don't know if that is how it is intended to be or if they have faded over time. I did enjoy this, but I definitely doesn't live up to the hype. since there is no bottle date I will be reluctant to try it again unless i know it is fresh.

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden color with a bubbly head that is a thumbnails length high. Good lace retention.
Bold but not overpowering citric, grapefruit, mango and peach presence in the nose. This is followed by a biscuityy malt aroma as well as a resiny hops aroma on the back end of the nose.
Big hops forward taste; piny and resiny. as the drink warms, the bready malt backbone is subtle but evident and balances out the hops. The fruity tones, found in the aroma,also become present. Big hoppy, bitter and dry finish. Medium bodied. The moderate carbonation still stings the tongue. This one is very drinkable.
This is a truly delicious IPA. A moderate hop bomb that is intense but simple and subtly balanced.

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

I agree with other reviewers that the aftertaste is too strong (think next morning...) but I'd give this beer a 5.0 rating for cooking. Risotto and American IPA? The perfect match, and my first choice for an "additive" is currently this beer.

This is what IPA's want to be when they grow up. The smell is amazing, the taste is transcendent. This beer comes as close to perfection as humanly possible. I hope I can find it on tap someday.

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%

4.14/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company