Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

#250
Liked:
4.39/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 13,880 |  Reviews: 2,491
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

12 oz can poured a a beautiful bright golden elixir that omits a a finger or two of fluffy off-white head that is quick to dissipate however leaves a delicate foam lacing in the glass. The aroma is captivating with scents of citrus and hops and slight spice at the back of the nose. While the aroma is captivating the taste is addictive, a magnificent blend of bitter hops, citrus, bready malts, and a earthy over tone make for a fantastic beer. The beer has just the right mix of medium body and carbonation to enjoy from beginning to end. Overall I wish this was readily available to me on the east coast, but for now I will enjoy it often during my 6 weeks in beautiful sunny Southern California.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

3.9/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can, coded on bottom 13357, which I assume means this was canned about five weeks ago.

Appearance: copper golden color, pretty clear. Good head which quickly disappears, leaving some lacing.

Smell: wonderful grapefruity and floral hop aroma. The best thing about this beer.

Taste: To me, this beer is less balanced than my favorite IPAs or DIPAs. It's hoppy, but the overall flavor is heavily bitter, and less fruity/floral than my favorites of the style. Starts bitter, finishes bitter. I wish the taste were more like the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, and a bit on the thin side, which is fine by me.

Overall: I get why this beer is popular and highly rated, but it doesn't quite work for me in the same way. My personal favorite IPAs have more maltiness, and an overall better balance. If you like your IPAs bitter and then more bitter, you'll probably like this a bit more than I did.

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%