Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Ratings: 13,857 |  Reviews: 2,491

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Lots of carbonation bubbles up inside the pint with a color of orange sturdy head.
S - Lots of hops, pine
T - Fresh hops that are primarily pine with hints of citrus and resin. Just the right amount of sweetness and malt
M - Medium body and really balanced as it goes down.
O - A remarkably balanced IPA. This one showcases the Pine Flavors.

4.19/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Murky, deep orange (almost brown) body. Pours with a thick white head that dwindles down to a pencil thin ring leaving plenty of lacing behind. Fine sediment stuck in suspension and very light carbonation.

Aroma:
Hop city! Pine notes pierce first followed by a delightful bouquet of fruity hops. Pineapple and grapefruit are dominant with faint traces of kiwi.

Taste:
Nice palette of citrusy flavors, but overpowered by heavy oak and pine notes. Boozy.

Mouthfeel:
Very dry. Light - medium body with no real noticeable carbonation. Grassy aftertaste.

Overall:
A solid IPA. While this is not my favorite style, I appreciate it and any fan would be remiss to not seek this one out.

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%

I've had this in the bottle and on tap. Outstanding IPA!! I Kept seeing and hearing great things about this beer. I stumbled upon it at some tiny little craft beer/DIY brewing store in Port Jefferson NY. I wish I remembered the name because it was a great little store with a great selection and good help. Anyway, the beer caught my eye, and I said "Finally!!" Snagged it off the shelf and back to my hotel room I go! Fantastic taste and mouthfeel. I had it around room temperature so I could really get a feel of this beer. And it delivered! Since then I've purchased it several times as well as had it on tap. I think I prefer it from the bottle to a glass myself. But either way, get on this beer if you already haven't!

3.96/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is pale to orange amber in color and crystal clear. Thin white head. Beautiful and distinct hop aroma (Galena? Amarillo?). Floral, rich, and delicious. Flavor is aggressively hop forward. Big on bitterness but also very enjoyable. Toasty and malty flavors bring just a tad of sweetness to make me coming back for more of this 70 IBU beast.

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company