Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

#247

Ratings: 14,014 |  Reviews: 2,502

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful light orange color, with an equally beautiful nose with notes of orange zest, lemon and hops. Flavors of ripe apricot, lemon, and orange blossom balance out the persistent hop bitterness throughout the palate, even if it does finish rather quickly. The lack of depth with this ale is the major reason keeping it from being perfect in our opinion.

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

3.25/5  rDev -26%

3.5/5  rDev -20.3%

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev -26%

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a great beer, but between this and the longfin IPA I'd take the longfin.
This has an aftertaste I can't exactly make out but it seems to be an excessive bitterness from the hops. Regardless of the aftertaste it starts off great and goes down smooth.
Ballast Point remains my most favorite brewery from SD.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Slightly hazy, deep orange color. 1/2 finger creamy head with awesome lacing.

Smell: Ruby Red Grapefruit, orange, citrus rind, and a touch of pine. Hints of tropical fruit. Pineapple makes a big appearance as it warms. Just a slight touch of booze. Very inviting.

Taste: Lots of sweet grapefruit up front, but remains present throughout. Wave of hop bitterness and big pine comes next, with a finish that reminds me of biting into bitter grapefruit rind. Oily bitterness and dryness lingers afterward.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy with light, almost effervescent, carbonation. Finish is oily and dry.

Overall: Very well balanced with many of the typical West Coast IPA characteristics being present. Grapefruit is definitely the theme of this beer, but all the features of the fruit are being presented at their finest.

4.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled late September, but I heard she falls of quickly so I am working through my 6er pretty quick as it tastes great right now!

Pours a clear tangerine, half finger of white head, a lot of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

Smell is pine, citrus, rind, citrus peels, bright juicy blast, grapefruit, lime

Taste is nice, really bitter, bright citrus peals, grapefruit, lemon, sweet malt(but not much), in your face bitterness in the end.

Mouthfeel is slick medium crispness, very dry.

Ya this is west coast all the way, way more bitter then most the IPAs I drink, I am more a Midwest coaster myself, while I do prefer the likes of Two Hearted and Ale Asylums IPAs which lean more towards hop flavor then bitterness. I still appreciate a good West Coast style IPA and this one is up there with my favorites Racer 5 and GF WC IPA, that being said I will enjoy this 6er but after that I will stick to my Racer 5 for my west coast needs, I like it a little better and it is a lot cheaper.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company