Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA
4.39/5
Outstanding
Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

#246

Ratings: 13,970 |  Reviews: 2,497
4.81/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I wish I had written out a full scoresheet when I had this beer. With a group of other folks after a meeting and did not have anything to write on with me. Not even a phone. This is what I remember from two nights ago.

o - Freaking tasty beer! Glad I had it on IPA Day.

Sucks getting old.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another re-review. Last time I had this was when I was new to IPA. Let's see if it holds up to my new, more "refined" palate.

A: Pours that classic orange/copper. Slightly hazy. Two fingers wifebeater head. Large bubbles. Moderate retention. Excellent lacing. Bottle conditioned. Carbonation appears moderate.

S: Boom! Huge, fruity hops erupt from this bad boy. Lots and lots of tropical fruit. Mango and pineapple. Stone fruit underneath that. Citrus pops through. Sweet orange/tangerine. Some grapefruit, but not a grapefruit bomb. Sweet, slightly spicy breadiness is perceptible underneath all the crazy hop aromatics. Very, very aromatic.

T: Big shot of fruit up front. Milled grain and slightly sweet malts are taken over by a fruit orgy of flavor. Tangerine, papaya, mango, peach. The fruitiness of the hops most definitely the star of the show. The bitterness doesn't appear until the finish of the beer, with a brief surge that leaves everything very crisp and dry. Amazingly dry for an IPA. The aftertaste is more of that fruity hop goodiness. Lots of stone fruit, with a peach/nectarine flavor dominating in the aftertaste. Little bit of oily, soapy lemon residue as well.

M: Bottle conditioned. Usually helps. On the lighter side, even for a single tier IPA. However, in no way is this considered watery, thin, or seltzer like. Perfect balance.

O: Man, is this good. Think I may have a new favorite IPA. Reminds me of the Sucks in a lot of (very good) ways.

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 12 oz bottle.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For this popular beer, I wanted to have it a few times before rating, both in bottle and on tap. It's completely possible that the bottles I had were not as fresh, because I didn't like them. However, after visiting San Diego and also had it locally (yeah!) on tap, it changed my perception of it. In other words, it's best when fresh.

Poured from growler, fresh filled. Medium carbonation, just right.

Appearance: Golden amber, looks like the "sticky" type.

Smell: Pine resin, grapefruit.

Taste : Hop bitter, pine, grapefruit, a bit hot.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, clings a bit to your tongue, but it's crisp on the finish.

Overall: A great food beer, I can keep drinking this. It almost feels like a DIPA due to the strong characteristics. I love it fresh!

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally picked up a 6 pack of this after getting a $2 off coupon from Binnys for IPA Day. Ever since Ballast Point arrived in IL I've had this on my want list.

Appearance - Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass with a nice inch white head that settled slowly to leave some nice lacing. It has a fairly clear golden color.

Smell - Great hop aroma with grapefruit and resinous pine making me anxious to take a sip.

Taste - Hops up front, settling into a citrusy/slightly sweet flavor before a crisp, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and carb, but slightly sticky.

Overall - Great IPA but not sure it's worth the cost. Definitely enjoyed it but it's not something I will likely pick up again for $15 when there are plenty of IPA's of similar caliber for $10 a sixer.

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company