Sculpin IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Reviews: 2,422 | Ratings: 13,371
3.4/5  rDev -22.4%

Reviewed 12/28/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear golden amber colored body. Big foamy white head, rocky with good lacing. Bubbly. Very piney citrusy aroma, grapefruit. Dry smelling. Watery body, malty taste, some nuttiness. Dry grapefruit aftertaste. Carbonated and drying aftertaste. More hoppy and bitter with only some balancing nutty sweetness. More balanced as it warms up.

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure if this was an old bottle or not but was extremely disappointed with this one. Malt bomb with a strange aftertaste. The grapefruit version is a step up. I wish ballast point put bottling dates since I can't be completely sure. At any rate, wouldn't spend my money on this again.

3.41/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a tulip glass. poured an orange color with about a half inch of white foam. The smell was not noticeable. The beer did not have a particularly notable taste or mouth feel. The beer did leave a lacing on the glass. Overall I was disappointed. Was really looking forward to this since I found the strong hoppy flavor of Big Eye to be an incredibly enjoyable beer. I won't be buying Sculpin again buy will continue to try Balladt Point based on my experience with Big Eye.

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass:

First off this was a little dissapointing to me as i had been anticipating this being tremendous. I had a flower power prior to this and the flower power outshined this guy.

Pours a crystal clear, amber orange color with a big fluffy head and leaves soapy residue lacing. Tastes a touch flat to me, has a big hop bitterness with a lacking malt backbone, typical west coast style. Really this is a hoppy IPA, but its lacking balance. Mouthfeel is off as its too flat for me, dense bubbles leave the palate battered with the austere hop characteristics. drinkability is high on this as its got a realatively moderate ABV and would be nice on a hot summer day. not the best IPA i have ever had but still worthy by all means. not worth the 9.99 price tag though.

3.44/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22-ounce brown glass bottle poured into a tulip glass. Served at approximately 40-45 degrees F.

Pours a beautiful deep golden hue, strikingly clear and with a fat frothy cap of white foam that leisurely settles to a thick crown that holds firmly to the walls of the glass, leaving behind a nice residue of lattice-like lacing.

After such a spectacular start, the nose fails to meet the promise that the looks seem to hold. A bit of pine, a touch of grapefruit, a hint of apricot and mango and the faintest biscuit -- but all of it subdued and boring.

Medium-bodied with a light-to-moderate carbonation, the feel is fine, but the flavors are just as subdued as the olfactory glands suggest. A touch of sweetish, slightly biscuity malt opens up to a palate that, despite touches of mango and papaya and swirls of grapefruit peel and flesh, is largely masked by an overriding harsh hop bitterness that is pervasive and extremely drying, almost puckering in nature. It dominates all, leaving behind a finish that is dryer than dust, leaving behind a lingering hint of bitter grapefruit pith.

For those interested in extreme bitterness or hyper-West Coast-style IPAs, this would likely hit the spot. Sadly, though, all of the greatness I've heard about this IPA is just not there, and that includes descriptions filled with rich fruity characteristics that, at least to this palate, simply do not exist to the extent that others have claimed. Perhaps this is a different beast when fresh, but right now it strikes me as just that -- a beast, and a bitter one at that. If you're looking for extreme bitterness in your brews, then by all means, this is sure to hit the spot. But if you seek nuance or big, bold flavor, look elsewhere.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Looking forward to this tasting... although IPA's aren't my thing... this one seems to be considered one of the benchmarks

Looks great in a glass... nice head that nice and white... its' head maintains itself for quite awhile... beer is clear and golden/honey in color

Love the nose... sweet and orangey... a bit of pine... smells very fresh and clean

Sits great in the mouth but then finishes a bit too dry and hoppy for my liking... which is my personal issue with IPA's. I do like the mouth... and understand why its one of the most loved IPA's. The nose and taste are very similar... no surprises... I taste orange and a bit of honey... bitterness like a grapefruit... very clean

Very active in the mouth... carbonation is very noticeable and mad more apparent by the grapefruit bitterness in taste

Overall... I respect it and understand the great reviews... but since I am not partial to IPA's, it's hard for me to love it... but I do get why its praised

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Enjoy by date 9/27/13.

Appearance: Light honey golden with great clarity. Thin off-white head.

Aroma: Big blast of orangey citrus and caramel malt.

Taste: Immidiate hop bitterness with a slight onion/earthy character (its less apparent later). There is, however, some nice pineapple and tropical fruit notes hidden under the unfavorable hop flavor. The bitterness is nice probably around 80 IBUs and the 7% ABV seems just about right considering the balance that the caramel malt is able to strike with the heavy hopping in this beer. A nice juicy quality that makes it go down real smooth. The flavor is definitely getting better as I get further into the beer. Started too earthy and is becoming more citrusy. Despite the strong bitterness in the taste, the aftertaste is quite calm.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body and almost creamy in its smoothness. Good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I'm a hop head and IPAs are my go-to style but I find myself really dissapointed with this one. Was room temperature when I bought it and don't know how long ago it was bottled but expected better. Would I drink it again? Yes, I'll try to find it on-tap.

3.46/5  rDev -21%

Ok look, I'm not trying to be a beer snob or pile on or anything like that, buttttt I'm sorry this is not a 97 beer. What am I missing? It's easy to drink yes, but very little to offer in terms of smell, barely any hop taste, no bitterness... No way would I spend $15 on this again when I can get captain's daughter and sip for $15... Different style I understand just comparing price point. Maybe it's better on draft I dunno...

3.47/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap poured into a pint glass.

Bright and clear golden wheat pour with a one finger smooth head.

S- huge whiffs of pine and grapefruit. Grassy, earthy pine and all sorts of pink grapefruit. Hoppy indeed, no sweetness to be found.

T/M- follows the nose pretty darn close. Tons of pine and grapefruitey hops running the gamut from slightly floral and sweet, to earthy and bitter. It opens up and reveals a touch of lemon rind and tropical fruit. Really an IPA lovers IPA. Tough to find any sweetness in here. there's a hint of cracker like malt going on, but that's pushing it. I'm not a hophead so I really need more yin to this yang. It's not crazy bitter, but it really lacks any malt backbone.

O- Nice hopmonster if that's your bag, but that's just not my bag. It needs more balance than this.

Sellouts.

Support your local craft brewer. Even if it costs an extra buck or 2 for a 6-pack, it's worth it.

Better ingredients, better beer, better company.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Seemed sorta oxydized, but was disappointed by the lack of substance compared to the outrageous price I paid. For the $$$, way better options locally.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

I know this a very highly rated IPA, but I am not a fan. I have tried this beer on tap and out of a bottle. It pours a beautiful golden color with a rich creamy head , but I find the aftertaste a bit harsh.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

A:pretty foamy head, rich tangerine color
S: a rich, fruity boquet, subtle hint of bitterness in the nose
T: bitterness is present but not overwhelming, sweet and fruity as the nose suggests, tangerine, a little bit of orange
M:creamy, silky at points
O: very enjoyable, a good, fun refreshing beer, there's nothing mindblowing here, nor should there be, it's not overly complex but as stated before it's a good solid palatable beer, a good entry point for IPAs due to it's relatively low bitterness

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Sipping on this one as I type... form a bomber (obtained from foppa78 at DLD - thanks bro!) into my Dogfish Head signature glass.

Pours a mostly clear golden color with a nice fluffy white head. Aroma is solid but doesn't really blow me away. I'm picking up a bitter citrus almost slightly lemon flavor. Bubbly carbonation rules the palate at first with a more gentle smoothness on the finish.

Overall I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this. No doubt it is a great representation of the style, but I just didn't love it as much as I was hoping I would.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

3/11/15 (Draft, revisited) at Lucille's BBQ in Long Beach. Great balance, citrusy smell, hemp/earthy hop underneath. Nice dryi finish. Classic west coast IPA. 4.25

1/25/16 (draft, Legends Sports Bar, Long Beach) Not the first time has the beer disappointed me. Lacking all the elements that make it a great beer. There are some grassy notes I picked up this time. Hoping this is an off batch.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

First beer from Ballast Point.

Pours out a pretty clear, orange with yellow and a 1 finger white head.

Smells of citrus fruits and a slight hint of piney hops.

The taste is pretty standard. There are notes of grapefruit and orange with barely any taste from the malt and a nice dry finish that's pretty bitter. The body is a bit thin and the hops aren't overpowering in the least.

Not a bad beer, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for. Would like to try more from this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - golden color, clear, with good carbonation and about two fingers worth of off-white fluffy foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - lovely hop aroma. A hint of the mango is present as well.

Taste and Mouthfeel - I don't taste much of the "sting", but the hoppy taste is certainly there. There is a bit of a bite toward the end though. Only a little bit of the mango or orange is noticeable. The texture is pretty well balanced, but leans more toward the watery side.

Overall - not a bad brew. Love the hoppiness of it, although it's not terribly perplexing.

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber, not so pale.lightly medical aroma soft with an edge. Massive pale malt richness, extended hoppy finish. First carbonation-hop bite, silky smooth body. Well crafted, greater than sum of parts.

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a perfectly fine, classic IPA, in fact, if there was a tastable IPA beer dictionary, you would probably find a pint of this beer under the definition of IPA. Not especially floral or fruity. It is suitably bitter, crisp and refreshing. I will always and happily drink one if offered but it really costs too much for me to ever buy it again. Thirteen dollars for a six pack? Really? It's not all that.

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

First review, umpteenth beer.

Poured from 22oz bomber into pint glass, roughly 2 weeks after bottle stamp.

-Appearance: pretty nice deep orange/golden color, very little head, decent carbonation.
-Aroma: lots of citrus, with some earthy undertones.
-Taste: some citrus, though less than the nose suggests; lots of onion notes (and I'm not prone to onion--I don't get it on Enjoy By, for instance). Taste seemingly doesn't linger at all: feels very hollow, almost watery.
-Feel: pretty slick, nice prickly carbonation, but suffers from the same watery affliction as the taste.
-Overall: maybe my expectations were too high, but this beer was overshadowed by many beers, including a number of SIPAs and PAs.

Poured from a bottle marked "ENJOY BY 1/03/13

Pours a clear golden color with a finger of white head. There is a bit of lace randomly placed around the glass.

The nose is bringing some notes of pineapple and apricot, along with some citrus fruits and there is a bit of malt as well. Smelling pretty good.

The flavors of Sculpin are assertively hoppy with bitter notes of citrus rind, tropical fruits and caramel malt. I was hoping for a bit more of a "hop takeover" here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and has a crisp carbonation level.

Overall, meh, decent IPA but i didn't see the 98/100 here. Or maybe my bottle is too close to it's ENJOY BY date.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Somewhat large bubbling, off white in color. Faint golden orange in color. Some decent lacing

S - Not as impressive as others have noted. I've tried this on multiple occasions now and I just don't get much. Hops is a bit weak and I really have to search for the fruitiness most people gush over.

T - Again, it's a bit milder than expected. Hops isn't where I'd like to see. More hoppy in the finish than the jolt I was hoping for right out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I was hoping for more. Tastes more like a good balanced hoppy/slightly malty session beer.

M - A tad dry.

O - First try, I thought it had sat on the shelf for a while. Then I tried it a 2nd and 3rd time from different locations. Nope, it all tastes the same.

3.53/5  rDev -19.4%

I'm giving Sculpin this high of a rating because of how much I've enjoyed it over the past three years.
I'm giving it this "low" of a rating because of how mediocre it is compared to past batches.
So Much Sediment. I'm all for bottle-conditioning, but this is almost like Sculpin's yeasties coitus interrupted right into my bomber.
The smell and the flavor just aren't the quality they've been in the past. Bring back the clean juicyfruit hop bomb we all loved.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why this gets such high ratings. To me, there's nothing special about it at all. Aroma is similar to Sierra Nevada Torpedo. A bit sour with a very small hint of sweetness. Mostly floral, hardly any citrus in the aroma at all. Taste is a little better, but not by much. Still no citrus. Just some bitter hops. Thin body, not much mouthfeel. Has sort of a "tea-like" flavor to it that throws me off. The finish is clean, doesn't leave much of an aftertaste -- I guess that's the best part of the beer. This is $13.99 in my area and it's actually worth about HALF of that. A big disappointment for me.

3.54/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 650 ml bottle purchased from Costco for ~$6.50. Could not find a date on the bottle. Not much smell, taste is bitter/musky with some citrus. It actually kind of tastes more like an East Coast IPA than West Coast, or perhaps in between the two.

Above average IPA but I really don't get the 97 rating. Maybe I got an old one but I would expect fairly high turnover at Costco. The $14-15+ price tag for a 6-pack is also rather absurd. I would much rather drink a Zombie Dust or Union Jack regardless of price, let alone for $4-5 less per 6-pack.

To me this is roughly on par with Huma Lupa Licious or Centenial IPA. A solid, above average IPA but certainly nothing special.

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company