Moscow Mule | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Added by DISKORD on 12-26-2017

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by atlbravsrno1:
2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.08/5  rDev -64.5%

I really enjoy ballast point. Solid IPA’s, Excellent Stouts, and even slightly obscure beers like the Red Velvet. I’ve really enjoyed them all. In addition, I have become a big fan of complex sour beers. But then came this beer, which I can only assume is an attempt at a sour. It’s disgusting. It’s beyond disgusting. Not to be overly hyperbolic, but I think this is the worst beer I have ever had. I appreciate the ambitious attempt Ballast Point, but this one was a swing and a miss.

1.05/5  rDev -65.5%

I've been a long time lurker on beeradvocate (at least 6-7 years by now) and while I appreciate all of the reviews on here and agree with most of the ratings; I've never felt compelled to write one...until now. What a fall from grace for ballast point. I remember when sculpin was one of the highest rated iPas out there and I would struggle to find it. Paid a premium for it and it was very good, overhyped yes, but still a good all around IPA. Like many others I also was turned off when they got bought out by ABinbev, but at the same time it made their slightly above average IPA more widely available...not to mention the multitude of flavored offshoots (pineapple, grapefruit, habanero, etc. Etc.). While I stick mainly to IPA's and RIS', if I'm going to drink a cocktail it'll be a Moscow mule. I thought this drink would be the best of both worlds but HFS and JFC is this garbage!!!!! It's an epic fail on so many levels that I have sworn off ever buying a ballast point beer again, and in my dismay at how bad it is it prompted me to finally post a review on here instead of steady creeping. This drink (can't call it a "beer" or "ale") misses the mark in every way possible. It doesn't taste like an ale, and doesn't taste like a Moscow mule. Wait....there's ginger in it?!??!? Couldn't detect it in the least. All I got was a taste of extremely sour artificial lime...no hops, no ginger, no body or mouth feel to it. This atrocity had to be bestowed upon us by the generic think tank of AbInbev who realized that Moscow mules are very popular at the moment as are craft beers, so anything that would tie the two together must be a hit. My best guess is that they took the recipe for Bud light lime (lolololol) and upped the alcohol and lime flavor then passed it off as a ballast point. Even more infuriating is that I dropped $17 on a sixer of it with high expectations. I won't get fooled again, and hopefully like the Who some WE as craft beer fans won't get fooled again. In closing, F abinbev, F ballast point, and F macro "crafty" gimmick beers. I'll stick with what I know and like from here on out or at least try new things from only independent breweries I can trust. Peace!

2.41/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.3/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.53/5  rDev +16.1%

Ballast Point "Moscow Mule Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded MU 17 07:44 !PKG 19APR18" and sampled on 08JUN18
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's poured a hazy amber colored body beneath a full head of off-white that's unfortunately already dropped. By the time I type this the head will have faded to just a collar. Yep, as expected. That's not good in my opinion and I have to wonder why... is it the ginger? There must be a lot of ginger in there because I can smell it without raising the glass to my nose. In fact, when I lift the glass to my nose it smells like ginger soda. I'm not getting anything but ginger and sugar, well, in this case, malt. I have absolutely no head at this point, and no collar, and no lacing. On to the flavor... holy Moses there's a lot of lime there. It's tart! And it's like real lime, with a lot of citric acid and not a lot of flavor - meaning I think it's real lime. Ha ha! I just noticed there's a Russian skeleton on the label... the Moscow Mule was invented by an American salesman pushing vodka, Russia had nothing to do with it. Anyway, there's a lot of ginger there as well. It's got a burn, and if the goal was to recreate a Moscow Mule they've certainly done that. It's not just a touchdown, it's more like when Forrest Gump makes the goal and then just keeps running. With that said, it's not very beer-like. I'm not getting a lot of malt flavor coming through, and forget about hops, that wouldn't have worked anyway so I doubt there's much there at all. The most malt I get is in the finish as the ginger and lime are subsiding. Overall it's not a bad drink but I don't think it fares well as a beer. It might be good in the summer on a hot day while relaxing outside but I doubt I'd drink it at any other time. So it might be worth trying if you think that it's your kind of thing but otherwise I'd suggest a pass despite the fact that it's fairly well constructed and balanced.
Review# 6,057

1.93/5  rDev -36.5%

I've never had the cocktail, so I can't compare it with this beer. I was wary when I bought a 6-pack. Ginger and lime didn't sound like an ideal combination to me, but I was attracted by the nice, high ABV.

The ABV certainly doesn't disappoint. And I guess the flavor is pretty much what the can promised. To me, hot ginger dominates by a long shot. I like hot spicy foods, but the burn in my throat is disconcerting even for me. If I didn't know it was (probably) the ginger, I would think it was habanero or ghost pepper. The burn is downright unpleasant. I barely taste the flavor because of that burn.

I got through this glass, poured from the bottle. I'm not sure about the other 5 bottles, though. I might hold onto them to serve to someone I don't particularly like.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

A-Pours a light copper color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has resounding ginger and lime hints
T-The taste follows the nose with abundant ginger and lime flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A nice ginger lime variation

2.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

A rare miss from one of my favorite larger breweries. I love everything they put out but this one fails. Tastes like you mixed a beer into a Moscow Mule. Was expecting something much more subtle. Lime is overpowering to the ginger and leaves a strong aftertaste. And I love beer AND Moscow mules

1.8/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Strong. Noxious taste. Advertised as a Moscow Mule " Ale," but tastes neither like ale or a Mule. Rather bitter, like lime juice.

2.8/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

Straight Ginger bomb. It was okay when super cold out of the fridge, but as it warmed it turned in to a Gingery mess. So much ginger and alcohol heat that it kinda burned as it went down. Worth a try, but not a repeat purchase.

3.77/5  rDev +24%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bringing the flavors of popular cocktails into the beer world is always a tricky proposition. But the Ballast Point brewery accepts the challenge and rolls the prominent flavors of the moscow mule into a lightly soured caramelized ale.

Aptly named Moscow Mule, the solid amber ale brings a bright clarity and a frothy, ivory cap the the bar. The citrusy scent of limes gain most attention, but the complementing scent of ginger, caramel, cola and pecan lurk closely behind. Sweet on the front of the tongue, those caramel, cola, honey and pecan malty influences set a sweet and toasty tone.

Much of the same transpires across the middle palate as the beer's malt sweetness stays the course while lightening slightly toward finish. The interplay of lime and ginger intertwine for a spicy and fruity fusion of flavor that continue to steal the flavors stage. Lightly hopped, the ale prefers to have the ginger and lime bitterness do the heavy lifting in balance as the late palate brings mild tartness and caramelized sweetness.

Medium bodied throughout, the taste trends cola and nutty heading into a slightly bitter and tart finish that concludes much more well-balanced and refreshing than it starts. A medium length afterglow of fruit and spice continues to bring what's best about the culinary art of the mixed drink to every part of the session.

2.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a murky amber orange hue with a white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is heavy ginger and lime. The taste is ginger, lime, and a faint hint of grain on the back end. I like ginger, and Moscow mules, but this is to much. The only redeeming quality is it hides the high alcohol content very well. Light watery body. This is overall very disappointing though. I was surprised Ballast Point would put something like this out. They used to make fun of breweries doing this.

3.99/5  rDev +31.3%

12oz bottle. Poured out a golden auburn color with a small, khaki-colored head of foam. It smelled of ginger, lime and sweet malt. Lots of ginger and lime taste with a strong, boozy finish.

3.77/5  rDev +24%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.76/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

was prompted to review due to such a dismal amount of folks who enjoyed this brew. If you're already not a fan of sour beers this one might not be for you. However, for us sour lovers this one is perfect. If you enjoy lime it's the best yet. Perfect amounts of g
inger heat and small notes throughout. 10%? No chance I would of guessed that. Barely tastes like 7%. Very impressed by a company that hasn't impressed me very much thus far. Good job San Diego.

3.44/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.11/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%