Moscow Mule | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Moscow MuleMoscow Mule

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Our Moscow Mule Ale is a tart and refreshing beer version of the classic cocktail. Loaded with lime zest and ginger over a kettle-soured base beer, Moscow Mule Ale tantalizes your tastebuds with tangy and effervescent flavors, finishing with a slight hint of spice from the ginger. It’s the perfect way to enjoy a Moscow Mule without the shaker or copper mug.

Added by DISKORD on 12-26-2017

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

1.05/5  rDev -65%

I've been a long time lurker on beeradvocate (at least 6-7 years by now) and while I appreciate all of the reviews on here and agree with most of the ratings; I've never felt compelled to write one...until now. What a fall from grace for ballast point. I remember when sculpin was one of the highest rated iPas out there and I would struggle to find it. Paid a premium for it and it was very good, overhyped yes, but still a good all around IPA. Like many others I also was turned off when they got bought out by ABinbev, but at the same time it made their slightly above average IPA more widely available...not to mention the multitude of flavored offshoots (pineapple, grapefruit, habanero, etc. Etc.). While I stick mainly to IPA's and RIS', if I'm going to drink a cocktail it'll be a Moscow mule. I thought this drink would be the best of both worlds but HFS and JFC is this garbage!!!!! It's an epic fail on so many levels that I have sworn off ever buying a ballast point beer again, and in my dismay at how bad it is it prompted me to finally post a review on here instead of steady creeping. This drink (can't call it a "beer" or "ale") misses the mark in every way possible. It doesn't taste like an ale, and doesn't taste like a Moscow mule. Wait....there's ginger in it?!??!? Couldn't detect it in the least. All I got was a taste of extremely sour artificial lime...no hops, no ginger, no body or mouth feel to it. This atrocity had to be bestowed upon us by the generic think tank of AbInbev who realized that Moscow mules are very popular at the moment as are craft beers, so anything that would tie the two together must be a hit. My best guess is that they took the recipe for Bud light lime (lolololol) and upped the alcohol and lime flavor then passed it off as a ballast point. Even more infuriating is that I dropped $17 on a sixer of it with high expectations. I won't get fooled again, and hopefully like the Who some WE as craft beer fans won't get fooled again. In closing, F abinbev, F ballast point, and F macro "crafty" gimmick beers. I'll stick with what I know and like from here on out or at least try new things from only independent breweries I can trust. Peace!

1.08/5  rDev -64%

I really enjoy ballast point. Solid IPA’s, Excellent Stouts, and even slightly obscure beers like the Red Velvet. I’ve really enjoyed them all. In addition, I have become a big fan of complex sour beers. But then came this beer, which I can only assume is an attempt at a sour. It’s disgusting. It’s beyond disgusting. Not to be overly hyperbolic, but I think this is the worst beer I have ever had. I appreciate the ambitious attempt Ballast Point, but this one was a swing and a miss.

1.31/5  rDev -56.3%

If you like drinking battery acid or embombing fluid, this is the beer for you.

1.46/5  rDev -51.3%

This beer encouraged me to register on this site. That's how bad it tastes. It's tolerable until the immediate aftertaste of fermenting bread hits your tongue.

I imagine if you were a pirate from the 18th century and perhaps mentally challenged, this would be an enjoyable ale.

1.5/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.8/5  rDev -40%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Strong. Noxious taste. Advertised as a Moscow Mule " Ale," but tastes neither like ale or a Mule. Rather bitter, like lime juice.

1.8/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

I've never had the cocktail, so I can't compare it with this beer. I was wary when I bought a 6-pack. Ginger and lime didn't sound like an ideal combination to me, but I was attracted by the nice, high ABV.

The ABV certainly doesn't disappoint. And I guess the flavor is pretty much what the can promised. To me, hot ginger dominates by a long shot. I like hot spicy foods, but the burn in my throat is disconcerting even for me. If I didn't know it was (probably) the ginger, I would think it was habanero or ghost pepper. The burn is downright unpleasant. I barely taste the flavor because of that burn.

I got through this glass, poured from the bottle. I'm not sure about the other 5 bottles, though. I might hold onto them to serve to someone I don't particularly like.

2.15/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.41/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: A copper orange, with a barely present head.

Aroma: Ginger. Ginger, ginger, ginger.

Taste: GINGER!

Hi, do you like ginger? Do you snack on ginger candy while drinking ginger beer, and look upon ginger ale the way we look upon Bud/Miller/Coors? If so, then have I got a beer for you! This beer's got ginger and plenty of it. "Slight hint of spice from the ginger"? Ha, more like a wallop of ginger upside your head!

To be honest, I've never actually had a Moscow mule, so I'm not sure what the cocktail tastes like, but if it tastes anything like this beer then I don't want it. The beer is overpowering with ginger. I haven't tasted this much ginger since I drank a Jamaican ginger beer.

For ginger-heads, this is the real deal! For mere mortals who like ginger, but don't absolutely love it to the exclusion of all else, maybe pass on this one. Or just get a single bottle if you're still curious and that's an option.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

A rare miss from one of my favorite larger breweries. I love everything they put out but this one fails. Tastes like you mixed a beer into a Moscow Mule. Was expecting something much more subtle. Lime is overpowering to the ginger and leaves a strong aftertaste. And I love beer AND Moscow mules

2.62/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.67/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.74/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a murky amber orange hue with a white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is heavy ginger and lime. The taste is ginger, lime, and a faint hint of grain on the back end. I like ginger, and Moscow mules, but this is to much. The only redeeming quality is it hides the high alcohol content very well. Light watery body. This is overall very disappointing though. I was surprised Ballast Point would put something like this out. They used to make fun of breweries doing this.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear copper color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated immediately leaving no lacing. Aroma is sour. Flavor is too much lime and a touch of ginger. Feel is crisp and well carbonated. Not my thing. Not wasting any more of my beer calories on this. Drain pour.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.85/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -2.3%

Straight Ginger bomb. It was okay when super cold out of the fridge, but as it warmed it turned in to a Gingery mess. So much ginger and alcohol heat that it kinda burned as it went down. Worth a try, but not a repeat purchase.

3/5  rDev 0%