Moscow Mule | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Moscow MuleMoscow Mule

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Our Moscow Mule Ale is a tart and refreshing beer version of the classic cocktail. Loaded with lime zest and ginger over a kettle-soured base beer, Moscow Mule Ale tantalizes your tastebuds with tangy and effervescent flavors, finishing with a slight hint of spice from the ginger. It’s the perfect way to enjoy a Moscow Mule without the shaker or copper mug.

Added by DISKORD on 12-26-2017

3.44/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bringing the flavors of popular cocktails into the beer world is always a tricky proposition. But the Ballast Point brewery accepts the challenge and rolls the prominent flavors of the moscow mule into a lightly soured caramelized ale.

Aptly named Moscow Mule, the solid amber ale brings a bright clarity and a frothy, ivory cap the the bar. The citrusy scent of limes gain most attention, but the complementing scent of ginger, caramel, cola and pecan lurk closely behind. Sweet on the front of the tongue, those caramel, cola, honey and pecan malty influences set a sweet and toasty tone.

Much of the same transpires across the middle palate as the beer's malt sweetness stays the course while lightening slightly toward finish. The interplay of lime and ginger intertwine for a spicy and fruity fusion of flavor that continue to steal the flavors stage. Lightly hopped, the ale prefers to have the ginger and lime bitterness do the heavy lifting in balance as the late palate brings mild tartness and caramelized sweetness.

Medium bodied throughout, the taste trends cola and nutty heading into a slightly bitter and tart finish that concludes much more well-balanced and refreshing than it starts. A medium length afterglow of fruit and spice continues to bring what's best about the culinary art of the mixed drink to every part of the session.

3.99/5  rDev +32.6%

12oz bottle. Poured out a golden auburn color with a small, khaki-colored head of foam. It smelled of ginger, lime and sweet malt. Lots of ginger and lime taste with a strong, boozy finish.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Ballast Point "Moscow Mule Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded MU 17 07:44 !PKG 19APR18" and sampled on 08JUN18
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's poured a hazy amber colored body beneath a full head of off-white that's unfortunately already dropped. By the time I type this the head will have faded to just a collar. Yep, as expected. That's not good in my opinion and I have to wonder why... is it the ginger? There must be a lot of ginger in there because I can smell it without raising the glass to my nose. In fact, when I lift the glass to my nose it smells like ginger soda. I'm not getting anything but ginger and sugar, well, in this case, malt. I have absolutely no head at this point, and no collar, and no lacing. On to the flavor... holy Moses there's a lot of lime there. It's tart! And it's like real lime, with a lot of citric acid and not a lot of flavor - meaning I think it's real lime. Ha ha! I just noticed there's a Russian skeleton on the label... the Moscow Mule was invented by an American salesman pushing vodka, Russia had nothing to do with it. Anyway, there's a lot of ginger there as well. It's got a burn, and if the goal was to recreate a Moscow Mule they've certainly done that. It's not just a touchdown, it's more like when Forrest Gump makes the goal and then just keeps running. With that said, it's not very beer-like. I'm not getting a lot of malt flavor coming through, and forget about hops, that wouldn't have worked anyway so I doubt there's much there at all. The most malt I get is in the finish as the ginger and lime are subsiding. Overall it's not a bad drink but I don't think it fares well as a beer. It might be good in the summer on a hot day while relaxing outside but I doubt I'd drink it at any other time. So it might be worth trying if you think that it's your kind of thing but otherwise I'd suggest a pass despite the fact that it's fairly well constructed and balanced.
Review# 6,057

3.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

For the edification of those STILL not in the know, my westie cousin, Colby ChANdler is the VP of Brewing Operations at Ballast Point & I tell it like it is, usually much to his chagrin. I really wish that this was not a part of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, but I CAN't have everything, I suppose.

From the Bottle: "Ale with Ginger and Lime added"; "Product of the U.S.A."

That last bit is hy-lair-ious! What no added Mules? NOT made in Moscow? I'm devastated! 8=( Time to Pop! the cap & blow the Ballast on this Mule. Man, this poured like pop and sat in my glass like a stubborn mule! I gave it a vigorous in-glass swirl that briefly raised two fingers of fizzy, foamy, tawny head that quickly fizzled its way out of existence. I am told that kettle-souring has this effect. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with ginger and underlain with both lime and a lightly puckering tartness. It strikes me that this may be too clever by half on cuz's part. It is not doing well as an American Wild Ale, but if he had left well enough alone & just gone with the adjuncts, it could easily have qualified as an Herbed/Spiced Ale. Mouthfeel was watery, lacking any body whatsoever. The taste was … hack! OMFG! They did NOT spare the Ginger in any way, shape or form! It was like a lightning bolt coursed through my mouth & into my sinuses, which were unfortunately NOT clogged as they so often are. I nearly snorted fire through my nostrils like a dragon, having been caught off guard! Phew. My eyes welled up and tears gently rolled down my cheeks. Waaah! Then, the tartness kicked in, puckering my lips tighter than a duck's behind as the lime was the saving grace as I reached for my asthma inhaler. The notes mention "a slight hint of spice" & I would be curious to see what "overwhelming spiciness" might entail. Now, as far as the Style, it was kind of a weak sister in terms of its tart/sourness, but the ginger was enough to even cause a tingling on my lips. I will be honest - I LOVE fresh ginger! My brother is the wasabi freak so when we go for sushi, each of us doubles down on his favorite, leaving the rest for the other. This would be a great accompaniment to Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese cuisine, but on its own, I was starting to become fatigued. And why such a high ABV? I think that this could be much improved by toning things down - lower the ABV, less is more on the part of the ginger & don't bother with the kettle souring. Finish was dry and very spicy. Phew!

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is big ginger, lime/fruit and a hint of seltzer water. The flavor is lime/fruit, malts, mild seltzer water and a sour/mildly sweet/ginger spice finish.

4.25/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

A-Pours a light copper color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has resounding ginger and lime hints
T-The taste follows the nose with abundant ginger and lime flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A nice ginger lime variation

4.68/5  rDev +55.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Moscow Mule has a thin, off-white head, an opaque, orange appearance, and no glass lacing. Aroma is of sharp ginger & lime, over a white bread undertaste. The flavor is similar, with a good deal of sourness. Mouthfeel is high medium, and Moscow Mule finishes medium dry and tart.

RJT

3.37/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear bourbon color. Smell had ginger and lime in with some sour fruit. Taste was sour almost like a daqouri ,notes of ginger and lime with a boozy finish. This is a sipper that is best served in a 5oz tulip. I actually like this beer and 5oz was enough.

1.5/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful amber gold color with white cap.

Aroma of caramely malt with definite lime and ginger highlights.

Taste is led by citrus backed by solid caramel malt. Lime is in the forefront but not in an intrusive way, rather riding on the malt base. I'll say ginger as well but that part strikes me as more spicy than gingery along with something bordering on sweetness without really being sweet. Hops add some high notes mid palate and linger in the aftertaste.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

So what would a solid amber beer flavored with lime and ginger taste like you ask, well, it would taste like this. Solidly constructed, well balanced and flavorful in a spicy lime way that doesn't taste artificial. I'm not sure I would change this with more or less flavor additions because it's well balanced as is.

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer pirs a slightly hazy amber with a small quickly dissipating head. The aroma is quite strong and somewhat artifical, with ginger candy, lemon syrup, and a whiff of orange peel. Also, lots of pure, white sugar is present on the nose. The flavor is less intense than I anticipated from the aroma, with a vague ginger ale flavor up front, followed by lemon candy, lime peel, and a lot of sugar with a sticky ginger finish. The mouthfeel is quite light, and undercarbonated. Overall this is not a great beer - it tastes more like a flavored malt beverage - with simple, sweet, and dull flavors. Want a moscow mule? I would say make one rather than grab this.

2.41/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.79/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear copper color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated immediately leaving no lacing. Aroma is sour. Flavor is too much lime and a touch of ginger. Feel is crisp and well carbonated. Not my thing. Not wasting any more of my beer calories on this. Drain pour.

3.73/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L - copper with no head or lacing

S - ginger, sweet.

T - like the aroma, sweet worth ginger dominating

F - medium body and carbonation

O - better as a drink than as a beer

2.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a murky amber orange hue with a white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is heavy ginger and lime. The taste is ginger, lime, and a faint hint of grain on the back end. I like ginger, and Moscow mules, but this is to much. The only redeeming quality is it hides the high alcohol content very well. Light watery body. This is overall very disappointing though. I was surprised Ballast Point would put something like this out. They used to make fun of breweries doing this.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.3/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Moscow Mule from Ballast Point Brewing Company