Victory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel Aged | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel AgedVictory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel Aged
4.4/5
Outstanding

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Added by scottoale on 01-29-2007

#411

Beautiful tan lacing on the glass.

Ballast Point's: "Victory at Sea (Barrel Aged) Imperial Porter", name corrected.

WOW! Amazing Porter here. Special Barrel Aged version of the normally 11.0% ABV imperial porter. This stuff is bed and breakfast...seriously.

Sampled at the source today, this brew is limited to one taster per person, per day! Growler fill...YES please. Poured into a 13.5oz. tulip was damn-near black ass brown with a finger of froth-creamy cocoa fluffy topper. The head dies eventually to a ring around the glass and some fancy cling-lace...awesome black beer.

The smell is best described as one of the finest Kentucky Breakfast Stouts I have ever laid nostrils upon...big and bold to say the least. Sweet, strong and earthy with a mega dark roast, dark-ass premium coffee aroma dominating, with undertones of rich, dark bakers cocoa (chocolate),vanilla, oak, oak and a bit more of the same, followed by a wavering and warming alcohol of fair magnitude. Damn beautiful fragrance for a beer?

As for flavor...let me just say...this is the tastiest porter I have ever tasted, and I've tasted many. Tops the scale of porters and this is also one of my favorite styles. As it smells, it tastes __ (fill in the blank) times better than whatever (anything)...it unfolds more as it warms, rich and full with satisfaction in each sip and swallow.

Smooth and creamy with some zip...this brew is dangerously drinkable. I truly don't think they can improve this recipe and can only imagine how this stuff would age if it were bottled...I am fully impressed with Ballast Point's efforts here, long may they brew and succeed...Well Done!!!

Partook from a bar in D.C. and damn it was FANTASTIC, wish this was bottled because it's right up there with the greats.

4.96/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to Tim for sharing this beer. We submitted a photo. Aged 11 months in Heaven Hills Bourbon Whiskey Barrels. 12.2 ABV, bottled Feb 2016.

Great amount of head on this. Aroma is bourbon, vanilla, and sweet caramel. Very unique aroma and taste compared to other BA beers since I'm used to traditional stouts. Taste is sticky sweet bourbon and chocolate. Coffee taste is left out of this one after aging. Reminiscent of the Victory at Cereal we had in Little Italy in 2015. Very delicious brew!

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

After reading the previous two glowing reviews and my own tasting notes of this brew I noticed a bit of wetness in the corner of my eye. A tear it was. This due to the wonderful memory of drinking this fantastic brew. If only I could track it down again someday!

A-Deep, dark light absorbing black with a fluffy, creamy dark tan head that lasted forever and a day! No lacing left, it was more like caking. A truly gorgeous looking beverage.

S-OH MY! Like a chocolate covered coffee bar. This is awesome. If they could only solidify this and package it. I think it would be a HUGE hit! Hints of vanilla and oak and just a subtle notion of sour cherry?

T-Chocolate and coffee with the oh so sweet, touched by an angel, bourbon flavours of indulgent vanilla and astringent oak. Tart, sour twangs of cherry in the finish. This is seriously complex stuff.

M-Medium to medium-heavy body with a nice, round smoothness courtesy of the bourbon barrel aging. Luscious and velvety.

D-Well, I simply cannot give this anything but a 5. At 12+% ABV I would fall into a stupor trying to drink as much as I could! This stuff was like liquid crack! Not only was this one of the best BBA beers I have ever had it was one of the best BEERS I have ver had, period. I only wish I could have enjoyed more, and more and more! As the end line in my notes read...What a beer!

Victory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel Aged from Ballast Point Brewing Company