Victory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel Aged | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel AgedVictory At Sea Imperial Porter - Barrel Aged

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Added by scottoale on 01-29-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 266
4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

After reading the previous two glowing reviews and my own tasting notes of this brew I noticed a bit of wetness in the corner of my eye. A tear it was. This due to the wonderful memory of drinking this fantastic brew. If only I could track it down again someday!

A-Deep, dark light absorbing black with a fluffy, creamy dark tan head that lasted forever and a day! No lacing left, it was more like caking. A truly gorgeous looking beverage.

S-OH MY! Like a chocolate covered coffee bar. This is awesome. If they could only solidify this and package it. I think it would be a HUGE hit! Hints of vanilla and oak and just a subtle notion of sour cherry?

T-Chocolate and coffee with the oh so sweet, touched by an angel, bourbon flavours of indulgent vanilla and astringent oak. Tart, sour twangs of cherry in the finish. This is seriously complex stuff.

M-Medium to medium-heavy body with a nice, round smoothness courtesy of the bourbon barrel aging. Luscious and velvety.

D-Well, I simply cannot give this anything but a 5. At 12+% ABV I would fall into a stupor trying to drink as much as I could! This stuff was like liquid crack! Not only was this one of the best BBA beers I have ever had it was one of the best BEERS I have ver had, period. I only wish I could have enjoyed more, and more and more! As the end line in my notes read...What a beer!

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

This has to be one of the finest beers I have had, Porter or otherwise. I had it on tap at the Stone Bistro and from the minute they sat it in front of me I was in for a treat.

It wasn't so much the color of the beer (almost pitch black) as it was the rich, creamy head that lingered until the glass was finished.

First the smell, ah sweet jesus the smell. I drink strong, black coffee in the morning and the depth of this coffee scent was incredible. It wasn't forced or intrusive but just the perfect level of roasted smoothness.

The taste was off the charts. I didn't expect such a strong taste of chocolate because I didn't smell it initially, but it was a great balance to the coffee flavor, which again was not Starbucksian (new word which means crappy due to burning the coffee to make people think it's of higher quality) in anyway. Absolutely wonderful.

This brew avoided being sludgy which was quite remarkable. At first glance you're expecting to feel like your sucking down motor oil but it went down perfectly while lingering on the tongue just long enough.

I only dinged this beer (slightly) on the drinkability for the simple fact that at 12+% you probably can't drink too much. However, it went down as good as anything I've ever had.

In summation, if you find this beer, buy it, drink it, and then drink more and then tell your friends about one of the greatest beers you've ever had.

Ballast Point's: "Victory at Sea (Barrel Aged) Imperial Porter", name corrected.

WOW! Amazing Porter here. Special Barrel Aged version of the normally 11.0% ABV imperial porter. This stuff is bed and breakfast...seriously.

Sampled at the source today, this brew is limited to one taster per person, per day! Growler fill...YES please. Poured into a 13.5oz. tulip was damn-near black ass brown with a finger of froth-creamy cocoa fluffy topper. The head dies eventually to a ring around the glass and some fancy cling-lace...awesome black beer.

The smell is best described as one of the finest Kentucky Breakfast Stouts I have ever laid nostrils upon...big and bold to say the least. Sweet, strong and earthy with a mega dark roast, dark-ass premium coffee aroma dominating, with undertones of rich, dark bakers cocoa (chocolate),vanilla, oak, oak and a bit more of the same, followed by a wavering and warming alcohol of fair magnitude. Damn beautiful fragrance for a beer?

As for flavor...let me just say...this is the tastiest porter I have ever tasted, and I've tasted many. Tops the scale of porters and this is also one of my favorite styles. As it smells, it tastes __ (fill in the blank) times better than whatever (anything)...it unfolds more as it warms, rich and full with satisfaction in each sip and swallow.

Smooth and creamy with some zip...this brew is dangerously drinkable. I truly don't think they can improve this recipe and can only imagine how this stuff would age if it were bottled...I am fully impressed with Ballast Point's efforts here, long may they brew and succeed...Well Done!!!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last