Abandon Ship Smoked Lager | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Liked:
3.69/5
Alströms:

1.89/5  rDev -48.8%

Pours a light golden brown. Thin white head. Smells like smoke ... and ... jerky? Strange.

Taste is just a mess. I'm serious, I get a real beef jerky vibe from this. I have concluded that smoked beers may not be my thing. There's a bit of peat/earthiness ... maybe some malt, but boy, I can't take the smoke.

Thin mouthfeel. Didn't want to finish my glass.

2.61/5  rDev -29.3%

On tap at Hamilton's and looked like an amber color but it was so dark in there I could not be sure. The smell was a little odd but the taste was something else. It smelled a little smoky which was fine but then the flavor was like wet dog and smoke. It was like somebody soaked a dog in lager and then squeezed it into my glass, yuck. I drank it anyway.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Pours clear copper with a small ring of off-white bubbles. Light aroma of smoked corn. Taste is weak until the beer warms. Once it does, it is a pleasant smoked malt with some meat/bacon flavors. A little iron. Good, but I just want more smoke in my smoked beer.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

481st review on BA
Draft to taster
@Old Grove

App- This was a rusty red/brown color with no real head to it. No lace either. Color is what stuck with me.

Smell- Right up front the smoke just fills up your nostrils. I am not a smoke fan so this just wasnt for me, however, not slamming it because it could have been a lot worse.

Taste- Again, too smoky for me as it was a struggle to even finish a taster of it. The malts were nice but just too overpowered.

Mouth- Nice big mouth feel with a little bit of residual smoky wood flavors. Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

Drink- It was hard to finish. There are other smoked beers a lot worse and I am sure better. This was right down the middle for me.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

3.32/5  rDev -10%

Pint at O'Briens in San Diego about a month and a half ago, reviewed from notes I took on that date, think a glass cost me around five dollars but I cannot remember exactly

A-Color was a clear ruby with brown highlights, head was slightly off white and a little foamy, did not stick around long, minimal head and not much lacing either

S-Smokiness, roasted malts, earthy accents, some traces of skunkiness, burned barley, some faint meaty aromas, light coffee, caramel, grassy tones, and sweetness

T-Starts off tasting like a regular old lager, then there is some slightly chewy malt in the middle, finish is full of smokiness, for some reason I could taste some barbequed meats and bacon, my palate was going nuts, not a big fan of smoked beers but I wanted to try this one anyways, balance was decent, just wish it was not as smoky, did not change much as it warmed, smokey accents dominated any malt or hops

M-Medium body, lots of carbonation and small bubbles, creamy, slightly smoky, and chewy mouthfeel, taste lingered for a little bit

D-There is a low alcohol presence and the ABV did not seem very high, taste keeps you coming back for more because of its lightness mostly, could have drank two pints and that is about it, smooth though

Never heard of this Ballast Point brew and it sparked my curiousity, so this was the first thing I ordered that day, not of their best brews but definitely a unique one, would drink again, recommended

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a crystal clear brown color with some amber & ruby highlights. The head is dense and short lived, settles into a light ring.

The aroma is of a light brown malt, cinnamon, vanilla and a light smokey note. Not sure if the smoke is producing the cinnamon and vanilla notes or if they added it to the brew. Bit weird.

The taste doesn't really have a cinnamon flavor to it but does have some light vanilla notes. The base beer is light and fruity with some caramel sweetness. Decent smoke flavor but it seems a tad shallow. Quite sweet even with the smoke.

The feel is light with soft carbonation. Sweet on the palate with a light astringent character.

An average rauchbier, a bit too sweet. You would think the smoke would bring an earthy quality but no. I do think that the smoke is approriate for the body. The body is light and so is the smoke. It does drink fairly well.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear, clean dark brown color, with some reddish tinges along the sides, and a good white head. On the nose, I get mostly peat smoke, along with some roasted nuts, but mostly smoke. Intense peat smoke dominates on the palate as well, hiding a nice caramel malt sweetness that lies beneath the surface. A noble, interesting and ultimately nice effort, but I know one was more than enough.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured on tap at Hamilton's, enjoyed on a slow monday after work happy hour.

A- A deep clear bronze color with thin white head.

S- Clearly smokey with a distinct odor of smoked meat.

T- Peat mossy, smokey with an obvious taste of bacon.

M- Smooth, subtle carbonation.

D- This is not my favorite style of beer, but definetly an interesting offer from BP.

Abandon Ship Smoked Lager from Ballast Point Brewing Company