Brother Levonian Saison | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Brother Levonian SaisonBrother Levonian Saison

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This version wasn't bottled. For the Port Brewing version: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/49726

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-11-2008

2.66/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Ballast Point itself, 8 ounces. On to the beer:

This saison is colored yellow with a highlighter accent, topped with a semi-creamy head and patchy lace. I didn't understand why, but I got a note of urinal cake in the nose. It has the dry and spicy aspect of a saison, so it has that going for it. The saison style on any given day can be of my favorite styles, but it could also be one of my least favorite styles. Unfortunately, Brother Levonian hits closer to the latter. It's dry with a slightly fruity note. Vague spices help remind of the style. Still, I can taste a bit of urinal cake that I smelled. And this is where I'm glad that I didn't purchase a full pour.

No, not a fan. What's next to drink?

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Niche in Geneva, Illinois. Served in a Two Brothers branded tulip glass. Only my second beer from Ballast Point, ordered just after I finished a Barmy Ale from them earlier in the night. A very smooth saison lacking the yeast/funk or dryness of a Tank 7/Saison-Brett - definitely more on the Hennepin end of the farmhouse spectrum as it is highly drinkable, smooth, and citrusy. Light golden color with a 1/2 inch frothy head. Very delicious and would absolutely order again.

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.88/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Modest head that leaves some streaky/spotty lace. The color is dark gold and clear.

Rich aroma of bittering hop and mildly toasted malt. Very appealing blend.

This is, perhaps, the most hopped Saison I've ever had. No earthiness and actually very little malt. The tale is about the bitterness--almost a Saison IPA. I like it as it emphasizes my preferences, but it is NOT a typical Saison. Full body with ample carbonation.

Brother Levonian Saison from Ballast Point Brewing Company