Sea Monster Imperial Stout | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sea Monster Imperial StoutSea Monster Imperial Stout

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Our Sea Monster Imperial Stout explores the darkest reaches of the traditional oatmeal stout. This bold, rich brew first lures you in with roasted coffee notes, then grabs hold with hints of bittersweet chocolate and currant. Backed with a perfect hop balance, you’ll soon discover this is one monster of mythic proportions.

Added by OlieIPA on 11-28-2008

Ratings: 1,858 |  Reviews: 514

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

This one is pretty thick on the body and profile. I alost thought there was going to be coffee on this one, but there ended up being none; from what I could tell at least. This is precisely what I want from an easy drinking example of the style that isn't trying to be showy. It covers all of the bases, but doesn't have to show off to get the job done.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

A: typical black body and tan head, milky looking with laces

S: dark (chocolate) malts and bitter espresso

T: initially I was struck by a vanilla, creamy taste; this was soon overtaken by the bitter espresso sweetened with molasses; alcohol creates a boozy background

M: thick, sticky' slightly coating; tiny bit of abv sting

O: after being very impressed with their Sculpin IPA, I found this to be simply "good" - not a bad stout, worth a try for the curious, but nothing really exceptional where I would buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bottle of the 2009 vintage courtesy of cmurren25, thanks Chad! Pours a rich black color with a small tan head. Nice retention but not much lacing.

Nose is an interesting mix of blackberries, chocolate and caramel. The malts are sweet and a little subdued by the age. Smells like it will be quite tasty though, no alcohol is poking through.

Rich and chocolaty, the only remnants of the hops are a faint grassy bitterness at the very end. The fruitiness is much more pronounced with raisins and raspberries leading the charge. There is some jammy plums in there as it warms. Only slight oxidation has occurred and unfortunately, the boldness of the beer has dropped off a bit. Its really good, unfortunately I don’t have a fresh sample handy for comparison. Smooth and fruity with a healthy amount of chocolate, that about sums it up. Id love to get my hands on a few more bottles at some point, this one seems to age much better than Victory at Sea.

3.12/5  rDev -21.8%

Had on tap at Liberty Tap House. Review from notes.

A: The beer was dark brown/black with a very small tan head on top with decent retention. Not much lacing though.

S: Surprisingly hoppy, lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Underneath there was a little bit of chocolate and roast, but the hops dominated the aroma.

T: Again, very hoppy. Too much so for my taste in an imperial stout. They dominate the flavor profile and mask anything else present. Was able to detect a bit of roast and chocolate, but very faint in comparison.

M: Medium bodied, but slightly thin for an imperial. Moderate carbonation.

O: A bit of a let down, too hoppy for my liking, but I guess that isn't entirely surprisingly looking at Ballast's other offerings.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a very dark, nearly black color. The liquid is opaque and the head is cola-colored. The head forms nicely, but fades quickly, leaving sticky, spider-web lacing around the edge of the glass. The nose was a little disappointing. Not much there; some notes of coffee and even lighter notes of raw coco. Some plastic notes that are often present when hops and dark roasted malt are combined were detected as well. There is a nice, viscous mouthfeel that a beer with this appearance should deliver. I originally scored the taste a four, but I'm going to change it to a 4.5. I wish I could give it a 4.25; it deserves more than a 4, but not quite a 4.5. The taste is very well-balanced. Ripe fruit up front with smooth transitions to creamy vanilla. Some bitterness at the finish. There's also that unfortunate plastic flavor that is so common to this style. This is a pretty good beer. I chose this over Napa Smith's Hopageddon. I think I made the right choice. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I've had the Hopageddon. Based on my experience with Napa Smith's, I have a sneaking suspicion I won't.

4.75/5  rDev +19%