Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

Ratings: 6,868 |  Reviews: 1,425
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

This is an amazing beer. Tons of chocolate on the nose. The taste is all coffee. Especially when cold you do get a hint of bitterness in the middle. Thick chewy and outstanding. Had it on draft from a growler. This moves into my top 5 of all time.

4.51/5  rDev +3.7%

Review #900! 22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a nearly opaque black with a nice lasting frothy light tan head that leaves great lacing on the glass. Aroma is fresh ground coffee up-front with plenty of brown malts, cocoa and a hint of vanilla. The taste is a nice blend of fresh coffee and brown malts and chocolate, quite intriguing as many coffee porter's don't tend to pull the balance off like most coffee stouts, this one is certainly an exception! The beer is medium bodied with the 10% ABV very well hidden. This is a truly special beer, I'm very glad to have Ballast Point available in this area and look forward to trying more of their beers!

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

22oz bottle from Mymrngjckt, thanks for the trade! Drank in October with friends watching the Browns play another pathetic game. Just found my notes, so why not post them :)

Pours a dark black with tan head. Looks very nice.

So, I don't know if this was just due to the bottle being almost a year old, but I didn't get these amazing scents of vanilla and coffee others seem to be raving about. A bit of coffee for sure. Vanilla seems to have left the building. This has NOTHING on Aphrodite in the vanilla nose department.

Taste is also good. Coffee is the obvious flavor. But to me, this wasn't anywhere near Speedway, FBS, Central Waters Peruvian, or Shorts Cup of Joe in it's intensity. Caramel malt seems lonely. Vanilla? Wherefore art thou?

Mouthfeel is nice - good amount of carb and a feel that's significant without being too dense.

Drinkability was good as well, mostly because this really didn't taste too significantly strong to me.

Gotta re-rate with a super freshie bottle someday...I'll buy another bottle if I'm ever in a shop that has some, but I won't be mail ordering or trading for more. Kind of a dissapointment after expecting something world class.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

3.54/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

The title of this beer is quite the mouthful! I recently came across a forum discussion about the difference between an imperial stout and an imperial porter. The short answer: little if anything. With that question answered, I dove in.

This beer smells really good. I am partial to the flavors of vanilla and coffee and how just the smell of them affect me physically being a coffee drinker. I perked up immediately and figured I was in for a treat.

The taste was very good. Robust, with a solid texture, mostly balanced and not overdone vanilla and coffee. Actually, I could have gone for a tad bit more on those flavors, but this bottle is a year old, so I don't know whether they faded a bit or what. A great choice for a cool fall evening, I just wish I still had a fireplace to enjoy it next to. A lot more low key than some of the crazy RIS's like Darklord, Darkness, etc. - and I say this as a good thing. Not a flavor bomb or chewy, thick, sweet cloying mess like the above beers can be (they are still delicious, just not as a whole bomber on a regular evening).

Really good beer. Did not slay me, but definitely worth efforting to try. One of those beers you wish you had gotten more of...

4.26/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle poured into a duvel tulip.
A- three fingers of head comes forth from a steady pour slowly fades to a slight froth. Very dark almost black with brown edges. Bit of lace stickage.
S- lots of vanilla and coffee, I guess that would make sense, but underneath caramel and dark bread. Hints of molasses and gram cracker. Super nice nose that just gets better as it warms.
T- bang this is some killer stuff. I've had it on tap and the barrel version this beer is good all around. Deep roasted coffee and sweet bourbon vanilla. Whole grain honey wheat bread, caramel and a touch of chocolate malt. I get a bit of char deep in there and it really helps balance out the sweetness. Yea its sweet big woop wana fight about it, but never to much. Lingers softly with a coffee and cream touch.
M- lightly carbed and super creamy. Maybe a bit thick a chewy but I like a full bodied porter and this is one rubenesque body.
D- for 10 abv and as big on flavor as this brew its rather drinkable. I could drink a bomber to myself and I am as I write this review.
I have to say ballast point is on the fing ball. They have yet to show me a product I did not enjoy. Keep up the good work and thanks for bring it to philly.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

3.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%

Somewhat murky brown in color. Small tan head on top. Very, very pleasant aroma of rich coffee and faint vanilla. Great, great flavor-actually tastes like a porter before the rich coffee comes thru. Nice balance of vanilla against the coffee. Dark chocolate hints as well. Some hop bitterness and flavor. Pleasant roasted grain flavors. Nice body-not overly full or syrupy. LOVE this-going to be a permanent want for me. I love the way it comes thru as an actual porter, not some amped up, big, bad ass flavored something. A lot of flavor-well balanced and true to style for me. Yummo!!!

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company