Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

Ratings: 6,851 |  Reviews: 1,420

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from "bomber" bottle into a wine goblet.
Opaque black in color with a thick cap of tan foam.
Aroma-Dark roast coffee, subtle vanilla note;
Taste-Black patent malt, roasted coffee, vanilla ice cream, tobacco, black coffee/charred meat finish. Well-balanced, full of character, and very flavorfull. Highly recommended.

3.54/5  rDev -18.6%

If you want to get the best flavor out of this brew, drink it straight from the bottle. Or let it air out for a day.

A - Dark as night, with a solid amount of tan froth that lasts and lasts, some sticky lace.

S - Whoa, someone went WAY overboard with the vanilla. That just about overwhelms all of the other strengths of the nose. The richly roasted malt and the cold-brewed coffee would be quite impactful, if they weren't drowning in vanilla. I had to let this air out for at least an hour.

T - The taste is a bit hot. And again, it is overly laden with vanilla. It is not very good as it pours out of the bottle. Once it airs out for several hours (I actually let it rest overnight) it tastes quite sublime; as the coffee and roasted malt show interesting flavors and dynamics, and the booze element settles down. Even on the second day, it drinks a bit hot. A beer should not have to rest for 24 hours in order to deliver optimum flavor, bottom line.

M - Pretty nice, except for just a little too 'hot'.

D - Very close to being a drain pour; instead I corked it and drank it the next day, when it was finally enjoyable.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

3.83/5  rDev -12%

I'm pretty sure this is from the most recent release. Best before 18 June 2012. One of my more wanted beers, pretty excited to try it.

Pours very dark brown, nearly black, and opaque except at the very edges. One finger of medium-tan head, good retention, some okay lacing. Looks like a stout. Or a very dark porter.

Smell is a cacophony of roast, vanilla, coffee, and more vanilla. It smells more like the additives than it does like beer. Very heavy on the vanilla - wish it were toned down so that I could enjoy some of the other smells I suspect are hidden behind it. Warm and fuzzy, but I want beer with my vanilla.

Same thing goes here. Holy vanilla, batman. I like the taste better than the smell, as there's more porter flavor in there to complement it. But I still think it's overdone. I get minimal coffee flavor, and I have to work to find the characteristics of the malts (a little char, a little nutty). Finishes roasty bitter. Good, but I think it could be a lot better. I will say, though, that it drinks well below its ABV. I can't even find the alcohol behind that bludgeoning of flavor.

Mouthfeel is really smooth. Body is surprisingly light, lifted up by a foamy mouth-filling expansion. It's like cotton candy in reverse - starts out relatively flat, but buoys up as it moves through my mouth. Long-lasting finish.

Drinkable, yes. Amazing, no. I think it would be a whole lot better with 1/2 the vanilla. It's unbalanced, with the vanilla enjoying the only spotlight, rather than sharing the stage with the rest of the cast. All that said, it's pretty tasty, and I'm liking it more as the bottle gets more empty.

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours near black with a silky tan head. Nice lace and retention.

Nose has vanilla, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and dark fruits.

Taste also has a big vanilla presence that is well balanced by cocoa, espresso, molasses and dark malts.

Medium to full body is well carbonated. Tasty stuff, should age well.

3.54/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.35/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Black with a two finger light tan head.

S- Roasted coffee, vanilla, some dark chocolate.

T- Roasted coffee, bitter finish, some dark chocolate, vanilla adds a nice sweetness, kind of boozy.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A tasty coffee beer, but a little boozy. Vanilla adds a nice touch to the beer. Good, but not sure if I would pick it up again. Gets better as it warms.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - Pours a dark viscosity into a Bell's Tulip. About two fingers of head that dissipates slowly leaving amazing looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Oh my gosh. Seriously, I freaking love the smell. I had this at Black Tuesday 2010 and have been trying to get my hands on this since. Amazing vanilla, fresh coffee, caramel, chocolate. Amazing.

Taste - Oh my gosh again. The flavor is on par with the aroma. An amazing fresh coffee, vanilla, and chocolate flavor. Slight fruits, flora, and hops. I can drink this all night.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, great Mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Unbelievably so. For the ABV, I can't get over how easy this beer drinks. So glad I have multiples of this. An amazing beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours black with a one finger light tan head that fades quickly to leave a whispy, paper thin head with some lacing. Nice

S- coffee, and vanilla. Well, it delivers where it needs to there

T- nice punch of bitter coffee with a hint of booze. Not much vanilla coming out, though I do get a hint of it in the finish

M- viscous as all hell. That's what's up!

O- it's not bad by any means, but I just feel a little disappointed overall. Maybe I had my expectations set a little high

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company