Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter
4.39/5
Outstanding

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

#251

Ratings: 6,935 |  Reviews: 1,443
4.74/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Dangerously smooth and drinkable at 10%.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.83/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.14/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.57/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Summary: Too sweet... more candy than beer.

Pours a thick black color. Excellent tan head reducing to very good lacing. Perfect tan ring around the edge. Carbonation hard to see. The body is near solid black even when held up to light. Smells of vanilla ice cream shake, African coffee, caramel, and chocolate. On the nose, very sweet. Lots of sugars. Strong vanilla bean ice cream taste. Some chocolate and minor bitters. Overwhelming vanilla dilutes barley and biscuit notes inhibiting the overall flavor profile. This continues mid-palate where there is a bit more heavy cream coffee, but not enough to overwhelm the sweetness. I would like to see more porter notes. Maybe some bitter cocoa or malt. More balance to the coffee and less half & half. Instead the back palate and after taste are all vanilla milkshake with some coffee ice cream. It's almost sickening to the stomach. No real alcohol notes, but that's just because everything is overwhelmed by vanilla. I really think if they dialed back the vanilla the flavor profile would be extremely good, but as it is-- I cannot get beyond all that sweetness. It is just too much and really kills what could be an otherwise excellent porter if they'd let the rest of the flavors come through. I tried it cold. I drank it slightly chilled. I tried it near room temp. No difference. No change. Disappointing. 3.5 out of 5.

4.96/5  rDev +13%

4.06/5  rDev -7.5%

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured on 2/8/15 from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a deep black color with a one finger khaki colored head that stays for the entire experience.

S: The aroma is somewhat subtle, but still inviting. Rich coffee and dark malt notes reign supreme here.

T: If you like coffee notes, this is an absolute must try. Fresh dark coffee, espresso, and vanilla all work together splendidly. There's some dark chocolate in the background, and it hides it's relatively high ABV beautifully. This is simply fantastic.

F: Thick and creamy, sticks to the mouth with pleasant carbonation. Nice.

O: I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to try this one, I'm hooked after my first bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured with force into my new favorite luxury-beer glass, my River Horse snifter. This hippo sports a cowbell and blotches belonging to the Oatmeal Milk Stout I’m very fond of.

Sight: Big bold black body like the ocean depths, with orange hues poking through. Tan head that sits firmly atop, persisting at 1 finger in height. It eventually settled down to thin cap of ½ finger. Lacing is thick and bandy.

Smell: Coffee and vanilla bean play a duet. Hops slept in and decided not to show up.

Taste: Wow. Just, wow. Coffee, coffee, and a bit of coffee (almost green coffee as opposed to roast... or I might be crazy from months at sea). I can parse out the other aspects after a few sips. I do get the vanilla, and a storm of roasted malt. Perhaps a bit of dark chocolate, perhaps not. I texted the hops, but I think they’re still sleeping. I do get a bit of heat, and after just a few sips, I’m starting to feel it, I swear. Wait, I think the hops are showing up late in their pajamas, but they definitely didn’t shower.

Feel: Oily, like a treated canvass sail. It coats your tongue and gives you a smooth, luxurious impression, like the interior decorating of the chicest cruise ships. Not as full as a high-abv stout though, which makes sense if it’s a porter. Had enough of the nautical references yet?

Overall: I feel very fortunate to try a single bottle of this much sought-after brew. I like it. Now, I can cross it off my list. Calling me a ticker? Fine, I’ll walk the plank.

4.19/5  rDev -4.6%

Just had this for the first time...Thoroughly enjoyed it but every single sip I would get hit with the sensation of Vanilla Coke. I haven't drank or even thought about that stuff in like 12 years but seriously through the whole glass I was reminded of my junior high cafeteria and that dude from A Bronx Tale...
It was kind of distracting.

Will revisit.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a huge, uneven brown head. Dissipates after a bit, leaving a ring of lacing around the edge and quite a bit on the glass as well.

Aroma is heavy on dark, burnt coffee and vanilla bean. Some sweet, almost bitter caramel malts.

Taste mostly follows the nose to a point. Vanilla bean comes on strong, along with more of the burnt coffee. A small amount of sweetness. There are a small amount of hops that become evident as it warms. Not the most complex taste, but the execution might the best I've ever seen taste wise. Simple, but done masterfully. And for a 10%er, little to no bite from the alcohol. Just incredible.

Mouthfeel is heavy. Little carbonation. One of the smoother 10% beers you'll find.

Overall, just an incredible beer.

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

4.46/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow - my new favorite porter. Unbelievable how smooth and tasty this beer is!!

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company
Beer rating: 4.39 out of 5 with 6,935 ratings