Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

Ratings: 6,838 |  Reviews: 1,414

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal! Wonderful porter easily among the best out there.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

I have to admit, that I do go a little bit crazy when this one is not available to my tastebuds.

What an amazing coffee vanilla roasted delight this one is. An absolute necessity to your fridge/cellar whenever you can keep it available.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Obsidian-black, this porter has it going on. In my stemless wine glass, it didn't create too much head, but the bubbles cling to the sides like the skeleton clutching its heart on the bottle. Speaking of which: great design.

S: Vanilla and Guatemalan coffee beans, both roasted, hit first. There's a slight alcohol pungency here, too. Spicy malt is just present enough as well. This thing is a winner.

T: My God this thing is fantastic. The roasted malt and coffee beans invite the alcohol singe which follows, and it ends so smoothly with the vanilla bean and caramel profile. If I didn't read the label, I would this this were a stout, maybe even imperial.

M: Creamy, lush, decadent; the syrupy quality still has some nice carbonation to balance it out.

O: It's so good that I can't decide to sip and enjoy or pound it and go buy another. I will certainly make another trip to the store and buy a few for storage. This has easily placed itself as a new all-time favorite.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +11%

That is what I call an awesome porter. Goes really well with cookies. Love the vanilla flavor. My favorite porter. Its better than great lakes than Edmund Fitz, Founders porter, Deschutes black butte, and stone smoked porter.

4.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +11%

It was kind of weird opening an imperial porter, but I read on BA that this is not a cellaring beer. I picked this up a few weeks ago as a "find" in a great store an hour away from home.

I really like Ballast Point, as I used to live three blocks from their brew maker store. Since then I moved a little bit... to New Jersey. Every time I see a Ballast Point, I have to pick up a bottle.

I never had this beer before... so this should be a nice adventure.

I poured a bomber into a pint glass. There was a nice, brown two finger head. The beer is a very dark color, and I can not see through it (as you would expect from an imperial porter). The foam had a creamy consistency.

Off the pour I got the coffee and vanilla coming off the top. It was nice to get the vanilla scent from the beer.

The taste is luxurious. The vanilla and coffee balance really well. The coffee is not overwhelming, and I can taste the vanilla in each drink. The backend of each drink brings in the porter flavor. The aftertaste keeps the same flavors, and neither comes through.

This is an excellent beer. I thoroughly recommend it for anybody.

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

The dark guys like it dark

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Love the artwork of the label! The brew is more of a heavy dark brown than the traditional blackish tones I'm used to seeing....and it appears to be thick in nature. The head is meringue like a creamy espresso foam like color...the retention is most excellent, and eventullly looks like sponge toffee! The carbonation is much too hard to see and lacing is superb! A lovely looking porter!!

S- Super heavy cocoa power aromas upfront, with background smells of high cocoa content dark chocolate, very fresh dark roast coffee, vanilla sweetness, charred black malts, burnt nuttiness and Earth...super balanced and smooth aromas...Wow!!

T- This is awesome!!! Highly regulated smooth balancing flavors such as cocoa bean, blended dark chocolate, cold press espresso, burnt almond nuttiness, fresh vanilla bean to sweeten things up slightly, hints of toffee/caramel/molasses and the finish is dry, robust and bold, with mellow hopped bitterness....simply amazing!!

M/O- This is one of the most delicate beers I've ever experienced on the palate....the body gently tickles the tongue with wee tight bubbles that explode with a smooth vigor....enhancing the overall flavors/character. I refuse to believe that this is 10% alcohol...that's how well hidden the booze is within this brew! A very highly drinkable porter that is spot on for the style and I am afraid of what will happen the next time I purchase this, as it will be more than one bottle!! OUTSTANDING!!

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from bottle into a snifter glass

A- Very dark brown/black appearance. About a fingers worth of a rust brown colored head.

S- The coffee dominates the nose of this beer. Lots of roasted characters and maybe a slight bit of vanilla. Reminds me of the smell of a coffee shop in the morning.

T- Massive coffee notes blend beautifully with the vanilla. No taste of the 10% abv at all, making this dangerously drinkable.

Overall this is an impressive imperial porter. I'm not really a fan of porters, and prefer stouts, but this beer was excellent. Highly recommend giving it a try. In my opinion at 6.99 this is a bargain for such a top notch brew. Don't hesitate to pick up a bottle.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.
A: Pours pitch black with two fingers of head from a rough pour. Small amount of lacing.
S: The smell is dominated by vanilla beans with some chotolate and coffee also in the mix.
T:Mostly vanilla, slight bitter dark chocolate taste, some coffee and alcohol in the end. Very nice.
D: Quite drinkable for the ABV.

This is my goto beer right now. I've drank like 6 of these in the past couple weeks. Great beer!

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

I really wanted to toss up straight fives. that is, the 2009 vintage aged, is a five star treat.

pours dark black with a nutty tan head that is almost nonexistent.I love the smell. the aged version has a heavier chocolate presence than the young version. I love the blend of vanilla and chocolate in the aged bottle. I highly recommend aging this and drinking it around sixty.

great beer. I love the thick viscous mouthfeel and the drinkability.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My first Victory! Pours a dark brown, almost black. The vanilla aroma on this beer is right up front, with a dark roasted cappuccino notes close behind. The flavor and mouthfeel of this beer is insane! Rich coffee with a sweet vanilla backbone, light hint of caramel, the hops are definitely present on the tongue as well, a really great porter! I can't say enough good things about this stuff! the alcohol is really well hidden and I am getting no bad aftertaste to boot. Overall a supremely tasty brew from Ballast Point, a bit pricey for a bomber, but I am not disappointed at all!

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company