Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter
4.39/5
Outstanding

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

#249

Ratings: 6,906 |  Reviews: 1,437

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This right here is a near perfect beer. It's hard to really put into words just how wonderful this beer is - I bought it on a whim at the local supermarket and, given the nearly $10 price tag, it was either going to rock my socks or be an utter disappointment.

It was the former thankfully. I am absolutely turned off by the idea of coffee and vanilla in my beer because nobody can seem to do it correctly. Well, I have finally found a brewery who does it PERFECTLY. This is a GREAT tasting beer - the first sip is going to slap you around a bit. Whoa, is this stuff a departure from a lot of beers out there. But get deep down into this beer, with the coffee and vanilla subtly guiding you along, and you'll likely love it.

It isn't -perfect- but it's damn near close. It pours dark as the winter night and is perfect for cold, frost, "polar vortex" kind of days when you just want to cozy up with a good brew and forget about your troubles for a couple of hours. Oh, and the 10% ABV doesn't hurt, either. It WILL get on top of you pretty fast if you aren't seasoned so be wary of that. But, overall, a wonderful brew - definitely a favorite for me - and one I will seek out and gladly pay ten bucks for in the future!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal! Wonderful porter easily among the best out there.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

I have to admit, that I do go a little bit crazy when this one is not available to my tastebuds.

What an amazing coffee vanilla roasted delight this one is. An absolute necessity to your fridge/cellar whenever you can keep it available.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Obsidian-black, this porter has it going on. In my stemless wine glass, it didn't create too much head, but the bubbles cling to the sides like the skeleton clutching its heart on the bottle. Speaking of which: great design.

S: Vanilla and Guatemalan coffee beans, both roasted, hit first. There's a slight alcohol pungency here, too. Spicy malt is just present enough as well. This thing is a winner.

T: My God this thing is fantastic. The roasted malt and coffee beans invite the alcohol singe which follows, and it ends so smoothly with the vanilla bean and caramel profile. If I didn't read the label, I would this this were a stout, maybe even imperial.

M: Creamy, lush, decadent; the syrupy quality still has some nice carbonation to balance it out.

O: It's so good that I can't decide to sip and enjoy or pound it and go buy another. I will certainly make another trip to the store and buy a few for storage. This has easily placed itself as a new all-time favorite.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was one of the craft beers that made me become absolutely obsessed. A friend suggested it to me, told me it would change my life. While it was not THE beer that did it, it was a big reason. So it will always have a special place in my heart. I clearly overrated it when I scored it way back then but I am not changing that score for sentimental reasons!

4.83/5  rDev +10%

That is what I call an awesome porter. Goes really well with cookies. Love the vanilla flavor. My favorite porter. Its better than great lakes than Edmund Fitz, Founders porter, Deschutes black butte, and stone smoked porter.

4.83/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +10%

It was kind of weird opening an imperial porter, but I read on BA that this is not a cellaring beer. I picked this up a few weeks ago as a "find" in a great store an hour away from home.

I really like Ballast Point, as I used to live three blocks from their brew maker store. Since then I moved a little bit... to New Jersey. Every time I see a Ballast Point, I have to pick up a bottle.

I never had this beer before... so this should be a nice adventure.

I poured a bomber into a pint glass. There was a nice, brown two finger head. The beer is a very dark color, and I can not see through it (as you would expect from an imperial porter). The foam had a creamy consistency.

Off the pour I got the coffee and vanilla coming off the top. It was nice to get the vanilla scent from the beer.

The taste is luxurious. The vanilla and coffee balance really well. The coffee is not overwhelming, and I can taste the vanilla in each drink. The backend of each drink brings in the porter flavor. The aftertaste keeps the same flavors, and neither comes through.

This is an excellent beer. I thoroughly recommend it for anybody.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

The dark guys like it dark

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Love the artwork of the label! The brew is more of a heavy dark brown than the traditional blackish tones I'm used to seeing....and it appears to be thick in nature. The head is meringue like a creamy espresso foam like color...the retention is most excellent, and eventullly looks like sponge toffee! The carbonation is much too hard to see and lacing is superb! A lovely looking porter!!

S- Super heavy cocoa power aromas upfront, with background smells of high cocoa content dark chocolate, very fresh dark roast coffee, vanilla sweetness, charred black malts, burnt nuttiness and Earth...super balanced and smooth aromas...Wow!!

T- This is awesome!!! Highly regulated smooth balancing flavors such as cocoa bean, blended dark chocolate, cold press espresso, burnt almond nuttiness, fresh vanilla bean to sweeten things up slightly, hints of toffee/caramel/molasses and the finish is dry, robust and bold, with mellow hopped bitterness....simply amazing!!

M/O- This is one of the most delicate beers I've ever experienced on the palate....the body gently tickles the tongue with wee tight bubbles that explode with a smooth vigor....enhancing the overall flavors/character. I refuse to believe that this is 10% alcohol...that's how well hidden the booze is within this brew! A very highly drinkable porter that is spot on for the style and I am afraid of what will happen the next time I purchase this, as it will be more than one bottle!! OUTSTANDING!!

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from bottle into a snifter glass

A- Very dark brown/black appearance. About a fingers worth of a rust brown colored head.

S- The coffee dominates the nose of this beer. Lots of roasted characters and maybe a slight bit of vanilla. Reminds me of the smell of a coffee shop in the morning.

T- Massive coffee notes blend beautifully with the vanilla. No taste of the 10% abv at all, making this dangerously drinkable.

Overall this is an impressive imperial porter. I'm not really a fan of porters, and prefer stouts, but this beer was excellent. Highly recommend giving it a try. In my opinion at 6.99 this is a bargain for such a top notch brew. Don't hesitate to pick up a bottle.

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company
Beer rating: 4.39 out of 5 with 6,906 ratings