Wahoo White Beer | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Witbier

Previously known as Wahoo Wheat Ale

A fresh, unfiltered brew perfect for lazy summer days.
Our Wahoo White is brewed with unfiltered, un-malted wheat and oats that give it a distinctive cloudy complexity. True to the Belgian tradition, this Witbier boasts a refreshing, citrusy flavor thanks to the orange peel and coriander we add to the boil. This makes Wahoo an ideal beer for year-round beach weather.

Added by beernut7 on 08-26-2002

Ballast Point Wahoo White is my favorite witbier and the best beer I have had from Ballast Point (I have said this once before, but since then I got my hands on this gem). This is my first max score of 5 and it is an impressive beer if you are a fan of witbier.

4.89/5  rDev +36.2%

4.83/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

This was one awesome beer. I had it on tap at Dave&Busters and if it weren't $5.35 a glass I would have drank much more. It poured a medium yellow color with a nice white head that stuck around till the end and left very nice lace. The beer was very hazy, of corse, and you could not see through it at all. The smell was very crisp and citrusy. The taste was awesome, one of the most refreshing beers I've had in awhile. There was a great orange-ish tang to it along with a slight hop bite at the end. I have a feeling that this would be a good transition beer for people trying to get into the world of craft brews.

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

4.74/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ballast Point might be the best brewery in the country. I am not a huge fan of most regular White beers, but Wahoo has such a complex flavor and smell that it would be easy to mistake it for a much more expensive brew like Goose Island's Matilda. Seriously impressive.

4.73/5  rDev +31.8%

4.68/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pale straw color, with a white head. When you pour it, has a lot of head, then after a little bit it disappears. Little to no lacing.

S- Fruity (orange) and spicy (coriander), also you can smell a little citrus tones in there like lemon and lime. Malty and yeasty as well. For some reason it has a little funky scent too.

T- very balanced, orange and yeast tasted. Towards the middle you can totally taste the spices. Does not have a long lasting tale. You taste it then it leaves the mouth immediately.

M- light bodied, little carbonation.

O- I really like this beer, its very easy to drink and so yummy! Would recommend it to anyone!

4.63/5  rDev +29%

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours a pale straw with a quickly diminishing white head.
Aroma: Coriander up front, orange peaking through.
Taste: Sightly tangy with just the right amount of orange.
Feel: Medium high carbonation.
Overall: Refreshing and a great example of the style. A little pricey for the low ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

The wifey went and got me a growler of this tasty brew from Ballast Point/Home Brew Mart in SD - thanks babe!

A: Pours an unfiltered strawlike/blonde hue with a nice fluffy white head that dissipates within a few sips, leaving massive amounts of lacing in its tracks.

S: Big blast of banana berry bubble gum, spices - cloves and coriander, with sourdough and fresh cut grain finish.

T: Pretty on-point with the nose but with a citrus bight. The finish is as the nose suggested though - bread and grain. A real tasty one for the style!

M/D: Lighter side of medium bodied but standin tow to tow with any medium bodied ale out there. Crisp clean finish makes this one really stand out for a Witbier. Honestly one of my most cherished session beers, and having this brewery just a 10 minute drive from my pad and fillin growlers for 8 bucks makes it a regular in my rotation and definitely one of my faves.

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent white beer. Smell and taste good.

4.37/5  rDev +21.7%

L (4) - Clear to almost cloudy light yellow colored beer. Not much head, but what there is, is bright white. Really looks like a cider, in color.
S (4.5) - A spicy, almost peppery smell. A little bit of straw or unroasted grain smell to it. Intriguing!
T (4.5) - Tastes like it smells. At first, nice grain and yeasty taste. Finishes with that peppery taste. Very nice!
F (4) - A little too carbonated for my liking. But an easy drinking beer nonetheless.
O (4.25) - I had been putting off this beer in lieu of others in my cellar. But I really enjoyed it. I'm not a connoisseur of this type of beer, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will probably buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

I've heard a lot of pro-Ballast Point talk amongst friends, so when I saw this one I knew I had to try it. Man, was it good in my opinion.

Finger-width head, bright yellow color, awesome nose. A yeasty sweet, coriander, and orange flavor that left a balanced dry tang on the tongue.

I must say, this one is a tops for me in the witbier style. Well done. Definitely recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

This beer has a deliciously fruity taste that borders on a hard cider meeting a white beer. It's carbonated to the point where you're again second guessing if it's beer you're drinking, but it's got such a unique flavor that you can't not love it.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed on 1/22/11 from notes:

A: Golden yellow with a finger of fluffy white head. A thin layer of foam sticks around.

S: Wheat and more wheat. Some straight sugar aromas.

T: Nice wheat taste. A little strong on this adjunct malt for my taste buds.

M: Very light feel with lots of carbonation on the tongue.

D: Easy to drink if you enjoy this style. While not my top style, I appreciate the quality of this beer.

Wahoo White Beer from Ballast Point Brewing Company