Wahoo White Beer | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Witbier

Previously known as Wahoo Wheat Ale

A fresh, unfiltered brew perfect for lazy summer days.
Our Wahoo White is brewed with unfiltered, un-malted wheat and oats that give it a distinctive cloudy complexity. True to the Belgian tradition, this Witbier boasts a refreshing, citrusy flavor thanks to the orange peel and coriander we add to the boil. This makes Wahoo an ideal beer for year-round beach weather.

Added by beernut7 on 08-26-2002

Liked:
3.55/5
Alströms:

2.07/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

If you like coriander then you will like Wahoo. It's not for everybody including me. I read a review that thought it was skunky and that was my first impression but mine was fresh. My first pillar of beer is If you have to add a flavor to the basic beer formula you are taking a chance. It is not for me and I had no preconceptions because...oops...I did not read the label. I am not partial to cloudy beers although I don't discount them on first go but if you make it unfiltered you better get it right. Sorry. Not right

2.13/5  rDev -40%

Was the variety pack skunked? That's what I thought. This and the yellowtail pale were some of the least appealing beers I've had from a reputable brewery in a while. However the sculpin in the case was its usual sculpinrific self. All this beer did was make me drink it as fast as possible to get it over with. Citrus? As in a tablespoon of frozen orange juice conventrate in a gallon of water. BLUE MOON has more flavor and complexity. Granted maybe this style is more susceptible to mishandling on the voyage from CA to PA than Sculpin...or it was a bad batch. Only way I'd try it again would be if someone handed it to me....on draft.....at the brewery.....in a sample glass. Not a fan of the new label. Sculpin rules! Wahoo drools!

2.23/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Very pale cloudy straw yellow with a tiny bit of head that disappears very quickly.

Smells of lemon zest, spice, and peppery citrus.

Taste closely mimics the nose. With a peppery spiciness in the forefront and some citrus and lemon rind also.

Mouth feel is very light. Almost no body and what little flavor is there is not very memorable. Carbonation is ok.

This could be drinkable on a hot day but even then there are much better choices out there. I've been impressed with Ballast Point and figured i'd see what their attempt at a witbier would be like.
It's not very impressive. It borders on BMC only with a bit more drinkablility

2.33/5  rDev -34.4%

Ginger! Not for me

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

Not all that happy with this one. Pours cloudy gold with very little head. Good spice and citrus in the aroma, but it is mixed with a dank basement odor that is supposed to be wheat. The taste is very yeasty, to the point of souring the beer. This could be pretty good if they would just tone that down.

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a surprisingly clear-ish yellow with a thin white head that dissapated fast.

Smells not very strong but some banana and yeast. Little bit of spicyness.

Tastes just as it smells. Not very strong. Pretty light and a little spicy. A little yeast but kind of thin.

Mouthfeel us very thin but a good carbonation.

This beer is kind if boring and I probably won't buy it again. I'll waste my money on other wit beers. Reminds me of a BMC with slightly more flavor. Not impressed.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Average wheat beer, nothing special.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75