Habanero Sculpin | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.

Added by billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Reviews: 501 | Ratings: 2,485
4.87/5  rDev +29.9%

I'll keep it brief.

I think most of the so-so reviews either come from those who don't truly enjoy and ipa or hot food.
This beer is delicious. If you enjoy great IPAs and you like mexican/spicy food this beer is terrific. It
reminds me of a chili relleno. Try it.

4.71/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First, if you don't like heat, avoid this beer. I see a lot of negative reviews from people who can't handle the heat. This beer smells of the habanero and it comes out profoundly in the taste and feel. Ballast Point nailed this one, a delicious Sculpin and all the components of what a habanero is. Not for the faint of tongue. Bravo Ballast Point!!!!

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Look: Pours a golden amber color with a one-finger, white head with decent retention.

Smell: Citrus notes dominate the nose. Maybe a slight hint of pepper but otherwise the habanero is almost undetectable.

Taste: There's the habanero. I was warned that this beer was quite hot, but everyone's sensitivity to spicy foods is different. As a lover of spicy foods, the heat of this beer was not overwhelming, but rather the addition of the pepper really works well with the other flavors. The citrus and hop bitterness are strong at first while the heat finishes and lingers.

Feel: The beer is medium bodied and carbonated.

Overall: I quite like this beer. It's definitely a unique take on a west coast IPA. As others have noted, if you don't like heat, be careful.

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is initially dominated by capsaicin and grapefruit, with subtle habanero fruitiness playing with mango against a caramel malt backbone. Resin rounds out the profile.

Flavor reveals a pervading heat that lingers throughout. It's not quite strong enough to drown out the bready caramel malt, floral, and grapefruit pith hops, but it definitely dominates, finishing with a hot bite that lingers indefinitely, and resiny bitterness. Bit of a novelty, for me, and not one I'd drink regularly.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

Got this as part of a mix six pack. Love Sculpin so I had to give this a try. The front is just good ol' Sculpin IPA, the back end is fire. Nothing to compare this to, so I had a little trouble rating it. Just not my cup of tea, or should that be cup of beer. I just rated it pretty much down the middle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't buy this again.

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light gold color, white head.
Smell is straight normal IPA, no hint of peppers at all.
Taste has the burn! Yeah, baby. Love the spicy, the hops balances well, good malt presence.
Body is solidly middle, carbonation is light. A good brew.

1.97/5  rDev -47.5%

As a heat lover, this was completely undrinkable for me. Couldn't take more than a few sips from it, the aftertaste is too strong. It just doesn't work.. I still can't understand how did this go into production.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look is same as the other Sculpins. I found the smell more muted, less fragrant--I missed a lot of the other Sculpins' citrus aromas. Taste starts like an excellent California IPA, ends by burning your tongue. love Sculpin. I love Grapefruit Sculpin even more--a great IPA, I think. I'm kinda into chiles, too. Burning your tongue at a kickass Thai place? I'm there. While sipping my beer? Not so much, as I just discovered. Sometimes things you like separately don't play well together. It's cool Ballast Point tried, and there's surely no false advertising. But I don't think it works.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very unique, this beer spice can be very overwhelming.

When poured this beer look like its sisters Sculpin. But once you sip you can feel how hot this beer is.
The burn feel takes hold and the overall sensation make you feel your face and body burning hot.

I really into pepper, but I feel that a beer made with it is not exatly a great idea.

In the end it felt like this is waste of a great IPA just to make this awkward experiment.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

For the love of spice, this is the real deal! This sculpin creation is exactly what the label indicates, habanero heat. More than I would want to drink regularly, but good for what it is.

3.39/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought this on a whim this morning,.

Poured it into a glass beer mug. Pours a nice copper/amber color with not much of a foam head.

Smells strongly of hops, as expected from an IPA.

Tastes initially at first sip like an IPA, bitter with hops but quickly turns into a hot burn of the habanero. It's a hoppy beer with hot pepper juice. Very interesting.

Feel? As I said, lots of burn to it, kinda thin and would drink easy ifnot for the heat of the pepper.

Overall a very interesting pick, very hot.

3.51/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I've been wanting to try this for some time now as I'm a hot pepper fan.

A: A medium amber orange color with a two finger white head. Not a lot of lacing.

S: I got the habanero right away on the nose. The BAer that said it smells like regular Sculpin is nuts (with all due respect). The habanero does mix with the traditional Sculpin smell of tropicial fruit, citrus and some floral notes. Slight pine too.

T: I got the traditional Sculpin flavors immediately with tropical fruit, citrus and floral flavors, but then the hammer comes down with a large amount of spicy pepper flavor. I got more actual "habanero" smell than flavor, but no doubt the flavor is very spicy and hot peppery. The beer just burns, I mean really. Burns the tongue and throat all the way through the finish. Finish is spicy with some pine mixed in. The pepper actually dulls the other flavors IMO. Long lasting burn after the beer is gone. I will say thought the more you drink it the more you get numb to the pepper.

M: Full, spicy, peppery, burning but not alcohol.

O: Ok, I'm a huge hot pepper guy as stated early on, however I'm not a fan of this. It just seemed so out of place for me, and as I said it seems the pepper flavors squash the other traditional Sculpin flavors. Maybe if they dial back the pepper this would be better? Anyway, not a huge fan. If someone hands me one ok, but I won't seek it out.

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Got this as a father's day gift.

Poured and got a bright clear gold with white floaties. Head and lacing are good. Nose is not much.

Taste is well...habanero. I was surprised how hot this is. After I got used to the spice, I noticed the hops was still there but not as much as some of their other beers. It is an interesting twist but I would not seek this out as a go to beer.

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The spice hits first, takes you by surprise but then mellows through the rest of the beer. The habanero is well balanced with the IPA which makes it quite enjoyable if you like Chile beers.

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Middling lacing.

S: A surprisingly muted aroma of citrus, hops, and the advertised habanero peppers.

T: Before the fiery, esophagus-destroying habaneros took hold, I did get a hint of some hops, pine, light malt, and citrus (grapefruit). The heat from the peppers is so great that it overpowers everything else, and that's really all you remember. Could have been more balanced.

F: A decent amount of carbonation with the aforementioned uncomfortably fiery finish. Medium-bodied.

O: To paraphrase what another reviewer said, this isn't a beer, it's a dare. Unless you really, really like habaneros, drinking one of these is plenty.

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

No thank you. I couldn't find one redeeming quality in tasting this beer. The heat from the habanero just makes it undrinkable. The capsaicin is so upfront and overwhelming that it felt like I was drinking watered down hot sauce.

2.47/5  rDev -34.1%

This isn't a beer, its a challenge, and not one I'd take again. Had this after a mango magnifico which managed the habanero's very well, this set my chest on fire for an hour afterwards.....how this is rated world class is almost as strange as the beer itself.

1.81/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.
A - Pours a nice orange amber color with a small white head.
S - The aroma is somewhat muted, not as strong as other Sculpin varieties. What does come thru is citrus.
T - First you get heat, then some nice citrus IPA flavors and then more heat.
M - Hot, with medium carbonation.
O - Do not like this beer and won't drink again. I like heat in my stouts (occasionally) but not in my IPA's. If I was going to drink this again I would have a pile of watermelon slices handy to try to offset the heat. Maybe I could get through it.

2.44/5  rDev -34.9%

I love hot and spicy foods and will put habanero hot sauce on just about anything. This however was not something I enjoyed. The capsaicin really overpowers all else in this one and in the end it just seems like an interesting novelty rather than a good beer. That's a shame because the other Sculpin varieties I've had are all fantastic.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

holy crap. this beer is like drinking hot sauce. its hot. tastes like spoiled green peppers. ugg. won't be drinking this again. this is the worst. why is this a beer.

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I thought that this beer was just as good as regular Sculpin. Here goes:

A: Great. Clear orange-amber with a large head and great lacing. Also fairly decent body carbonation. Just like regular Sculpin.

S: Smells just like regular Sculpin. Pine, flowers, herbs, a tinge of grapefruit, and some malt sweetness. Overall, very well-balanced.

T: Follows the nose, which is a good thing. Also accompanied, however, by some spice from the capsaicin (courtesy of the habanero extract). Spice is most apparent at the back of the tongue and on the lips. Can also feel it in the chest after consumption.

F: Great. Nice and smooth - dangerously drinkable.

O: I felt that this beer was just as good as the regular Sculpin. It's really just Sculpin with added spice.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one; acquired a single bottle of this stuff at the local bottle shop. "India Pale Ale with Habanero Peppers Added" "Heat May Vary".

Poured into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A - Pours a juicy cloudy golden orange body, lots of sediment in the glass with two fingers of frothy fluffy off-white head that lingers, leaving some random scattered lacing. Appears aptly carbonated. Looks very nice.

S - A nice traditional IPA aroma: fresh herbal / floral hop aroma, with some balancing bready biscuit malt sweetness. A fresh, floral, & soapy aroma; no real indication of any vegetal, peppers, or heat as far as I'm concerned.

T - The fruity / juicy hop presence & the sweet bready malts fade quickly, as the habanero pepper heat quickly takes over. The peppers are authentic; juicy & vegetal, very delicious stuff, until the fiery capsicum heat hits you. It's definitely very good, but the heat is, for me, very overpowering to the point of being unenjoyable. If you enjoy tons of heat / spice, then this is for you. Notes of juicy fruity grapefruit, orange, mango, lemon are perceivable beneath the waves of heat.

M - The feel is smooth, crisp, & creamy. A fairly light-bodied, well carbonated beer, but the fiery heat makes this very difficult to drink, almost to the point of being unbearable. Definitely a beer meant to be savored and sipped, probably best served with food.

Overall, a unique and interesting beer, to be damn sure. If fiery IPA's (or spicy food in general) then i can't think of a better beer for you. The pinnacle of habanero IPA's for the fans. For the rest of you, avoid.

Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin -----4/5.

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy orange with a large head. The aroma reminds me of classic Sculpin - Grapefruit is dominant, with some mango, pine, and a touch of pineapple. The flavor starts with a tropical fruit, as well as grapefruit and orange peel, and then the spice hits. There is no discernible pepper flesh flavor, it is all pure capsaicin, searign brillint spice tearnign through the second half and swallow of the beer. The mouthfeel feel is whatever my mouth can still feel. At this point the spice does dominate. However, as a chili beer it does work. Unlike others I have had I could easily finish a glass of this, and I did not end up with heartburn. First time I enjoyed a light bodied chili beer. I am sold on the concept in stouts and porters, but now I see it can work in a pale ale as well.

3.34/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark reddish copper, that foamed up nicele leaving a good lacing. Smells of pine resin with a hint of bell pepper vegetable. The taste, wow, yeah. That's unique. The beer starts off pine and bright but immediately turns vegetable with carrot and bell pepper. The beer finishes with a big rush of heat in the back of the throat and then travels down and warms the stomach. Feel is just heath it obliterates all else. Too much of everything for me. Too much vegetable and too much heat.

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with floaties and a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is subdued - bready malts, piney hops and a quite a bit of chili pepper.

The flavor is bready malts and some fruit that is quickly overwhelmed by a ton of heat from the pepper. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, nice spice heat, but that overwhelms the base beer. Good chili beer, not much IPA.

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company