Habanero Sculpin | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.

Added by billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

16%

Ratings: 2,593 |  Reviews: 534
1.71/5  rDev -54.4%

Too much heat for me

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

1.78/5  rDev -52.5%

L: darker yellow, small off white head
S: not much, a little citrus
T: holy spicey! Crazy hot, didn't take a second drink. Drain pour
F: burning
O: too spicey. Glad I bought only one in a mix-a-six

1.8/5  rDev -52%

1.81/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.
A - Pours a nice orange amber color with a small white head.
S - The aroma is somewhat muted, not as strong as other Sculpin varieties. What does come thru is citrus.
T - First you get heat, then some nice citrus IPA flavors and then more heat.
M - Hot, with medium carbonation.
O - Do not like this beer and won't drink again. I like heat in my stouts (occasionally) but not in my IPA's. If I was going to drink this again I would have a pile of watermelon slices handy to try to offset the heat. Maybe I could get through it.

1.81/5  rDev -51.7%

I was given a bottle by a friend to try. It looked fine, smelled ok, but was so hot that I couldn't drink it, and had to pour it out. I admire Sculpin IPA but this is for someone else!

1.81/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

1.83/5  rDev -51.2%

1.83/5  rDev -51.2%

Worst beer i have ever had in my life period! Having the name sculpin in this beer is a disgrace to the name. This beer taste like drinking hot pepper juice with nothing but heat on the tongue. I like spicy food alot and was excited to try this, but it is just pathetic attempt at making a beer. there is just nothing going on in this beer except heat. I'll stick to the grapefruit sculpin which is a amazing beer. One thing i will say is try mixing about 1/4 part habanero sculpin and 3/4 parts grapefruit sculpin and it is quite good.

1.87/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

Vile. Looks innocent, like the regular Sculpin. Smelled vegetal and savory.
As soon as the beer touched my lips, I retched. Managed to swallow the second sip with a cringe.

Soon afterwards, the back of my throat began to burn unpleasantly. Now, I enjoy spicy foods, but hate "spicy for the sake of spicy" stuff. I returned a few minutes later determined to get a few ounces down. Mission accomplished, regrettably.

The rest of the bottle is currently eroding through my kitchen plumbing.

1.92/5  rDev -48.8%

1.95/5  rDev -48%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Tough one for me. Too spicy. It overwhelms the hops that are so balanced in the regular Sculpin.

1.97/5  rDev -47.5%

As a heat lover, this was completely undrinkable for me. Couldn't take more than a few sips from it, the aftertaste is too strong. It just doesn't work.. I still can't understand how did this go into production.

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company