Habanero Sculpin | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.

Added by billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

16%

Ratings: 2,587 |  Reviews: 534
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Definitely spicy, probably a bit too spicy. It's almost like drinking habanero juice.

Gross. Just gross. I don't even remotely like it, but I love the amount of heat it had.

2.01/5  rDev -46.4%

Completely unnecessary addition to a great line of beers. Don't like this.

2.04/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Since I love the grapefruit sculpin I thought I would give this one a try. Honestly for me, this beer is horrible. I like spicy things but I can't even drink this. I took one sip and my mouth is still burning 5 minutes later. For me this is a horrible beer. I like beers with peppers but I can't even drink this one.

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

Not my style, just liquid fire. Funny to give to people and say "try this" and watch

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

After having the Grapefruit, I knew to expert not just a subtlety spicy beer, but a fiercely habaneroed beer. And indeed it is. It has the perfect look and feel of a Sculpin, but it all goes down hill from the point in which you tip the glass. The Grapefruit I could deal with and semi-enjoy, but this I poured out after only a few sips.

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

2.08/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.09/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Had one sip and was done! SUPER HOT! I like my beer to be refreshing not kill me!

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Way too much habanero. Absolutely undrinkable IMO. Poured after a few painful sips, and happy I only bought a single.

2.15/5  rDev -42.7%

Not my thing. Just tastes hot

2.18/5  rDev -41.9%

I love Sculpin and grapefruit Sculpin. I also love very spicy foods but this is just plain bad. Tastes like hopped tabasco sauce. Lots of burn and a small amount of hop flavor. Will not have again.

2.18/5  rDev -41.9%

Bottle. Pours like Sculpin. Mostly clear, nice head. Aroma is quickly spicy. I can tell that those peppers aren't going to be shy. Underlying hoppiness that is very dulled down compared to the original. The flavor has an initial flourish of hoppiness, then comes a stunning amount of heat. It's like fruity/hoppy hot sauce. Habanero water. A few sips is enough for me. Far too hot. I couldn't even imagine drinking a six pack of this in one sitting. A full six pack would be torture and probably cause life-altering, spraying diarrhea. Sweat inducing heat. I didn't like Grapefruit Sculps that much and this one is twice as bad. Leave the fish alone, it's good enough in its natural state.

2.2/5  rDev -41.3%

2.22/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1

Tastes like a raw habanaro pepper. Smells like a vegetable. Novelty beer IMO. Drain pour

2.24/5  rDev -40.3%

This was an extra and I was super excited to try it. After I tried it I was super excited that it was an extra and I didn't spend money on this.

Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Sculpin, grapefruit Sculpin and habanero chilis but this was a mix that just did not work.

Look is great like regular sculpin and the mouthfeel is about the same also with good carbonation and texture.

That's where the sculpin comparison ends. The smell was not good and the fruit and hops were replaced with jalapeños and vinegar.

The taste was terrible and not because it was too hot (I like spicy) but it was just muddled and wrong in all kinds of ways, basically The spice overtook all other flavors.

I wanted to like this one but sadly most of the 12oz bottle didn't get consumed.

2.25/5  rDev -40%