California Kölsch | Ballast Point Brewing Company

California KölschCalifornia Kölsch

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Kölsch

Formerly Yellowtail Pale Ale and Pale Ale The Original.

There's no wonder why our Pale Ale is so popular--it is skillfully crafted in the style of the Kolsch beers of Cologne, Germany. We've chosen German hops for aroma, and rounded out the recipe with a blend of American and German malts.

While it is very much like a pilsner, our Pale Ale is fermented at ale temperatures, giving it a subdued fruitiness--a perfect compliment to the crispness of the wheat and maltiness of the Munich malt. If you like a lighter brew but also like the complexity of craft beers, then our Pale Ale is for you.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Ratings: 1,368 |  Reviews: 428

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear, orange-yellow color with a small white head. The aroma is malt driven with some tropical fruit. The taste matches the aroma to a "T" with a sweet finish.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

Overall, not bad. Although, having recently sampled PBR (pabst) in a can, no less, I actually find PBR to have more character - from aroma, character, lingering taste appeal - I think the PBR revival has something going - including an attractive price point. a 24 pack at $13 goes much further than 22 oz. at $5. i'll stick with sculpin if I'm looking for real character.

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

3.49/5  rDev -1.4%

As a pale ale as the label states on its label its not. But, as a Kolsch its not bad. I have had beers I liked better. It states that its fermented at ale levels but its more of a Kolsch. I read that others felt misled, but its on the label. As for most breweries who do fantastic hoppy beers this one falls short. More malt than anything else detected. Its crisp, but it also has the funk or whatever you call it that is typical of Kolsch beers. For the price I can get just as good Kolsch beers that are actually true Kolsch, so for me its a one and done, but I still love Ballast Point's hoppy IPA's. Sculpin is just about perfect and among my all time favorite beers.

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%