California Kölsch | Ballast Point Brewing Company

California KölschCalifornia Kölsch

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Kölsch

Formerly Yellowtail Pale Ale and Pale Ale The Original.

There's no wonder why our Pale Ale is so popular--it is skillfully crafted in the style of the Kolsch beers of Cologne, Germany. We've chosen German hops for aroma, and rounded out the recipe with a blend of American and German malts.

While it is very much like a pilsner, our Pale Ale is fermented at ale temperatures, giving it a subdued fruitiness--a perfect compliment to the crispness of the wheat and maltiness of the Munich malt. If you like a lighter brew but also like the complexity of craft beers, then our Pale Ale is for you.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Ratings: 1,339 |  Reviews: 423

I'm generally fair in my reviews. I'm also not generally lied to about what style of beer I'm purchasing. Putting "Pale Ale" in big print and "Kolsh" in tiny print is misleading. So as far as a pale ale goes this beer is terrible. I'm rating it as a pale ale because it says that's what it is on the bottle.

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%

Bias-Alert: I typically like (nee LOVE) ALL San Diego brews.

That said, upfront, the beer is mis-labeled. When I think of a "Pale Ale" I tend to think of an "IPA Light"... but, as the words on the can warn, this is more of a kolsch style beer. That said, for the style, its damn good. A very refreshing and crushable beer... a great choice to enjoy after a long run or on a Sunday afternoon bbq. Tastes like a very well done Budweiser... which is a complement in my book.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.42/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I think this is pretty well done for its style. I was taken a bit off guard at first, as I was not expecting a Klosch Style Ale, but rather something along the lines of a American Pale Ale (I failed to see the small print that denoted the beer as "Klosch Style"). Overall, I would say it is a pretty decent beer that can appeal to a wide audience. It would be a fantastic beer to drink by the pool on a hot day.

California Kölsch from Ballast Point Brewing Company