Indra Kunindra

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra
Notes: Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.
Reviews: 315 | Ratings: 1,294 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.89/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Fun beer with Eastern spices. It’s more of a novelty than something fun to drink every day, and one will do you. Spicy cayenne heat, lime, coconut, cumin. Absolutely fascinating novelty. I’m glad it exists to try. Do a small pour just for fun and experimentation because it’s fascinating. Like a curry beer.

NCSapiens from Indiana, Apr 16, 2019
2.18/5  rDev -41.9%

Overpowering cayenne that lingers for a long time. Bare hint of coconut and the other ingredients except for the curry. Why brewers use so much heat is beyond me. Drainpour

meatyard from Florida, Sep 26, 2018
3.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. Poured out an opaque, jet-black color with a small, light brown head of foam. It smelled of curry and cayenne with some roasty stout notes. Wow! Curry heat up front with some sweet coconut and chocolate. Nice subtle roasted taste.

zeff80 from Missouri, Jul 24, 2018
3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle was a gift from a friend moving away dated 12/13/2015. Poured into a pint bottle produced a full dark tan head over a dark brown body. Smell was of an oddly spiced cola aroma, not unpleasant. I'd like to taste this fresh because I think, other than the cayenne, the spices have faded. There's definitely a cayenne burn and I can probably taste the cumin and faded coconut, but I wish it was more distinctive.

It's not bad by any means but probably better fresh

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours a chocolate brown with a very nice head and lacing
A-Aroma has abundant curry and cayenne pepper hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a resounding curry and cayenne pepper flavor
M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
O-One of my favorites on this trip to Ballast Point because of the explosion of flavors

VABA from Virginia, May 14, 2018
4.15/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a jet black brown with two fingers of creamy tan head.

Smell - cumin, curry powder, cayenne pepper, roasted malts, coconut, earthy and leafy hops, and earthy yeast.

Taste - Cumin, curry powder, and blast of cayenne upfront followed by the roasted malts, coconut. The hops and earthy yeast round out the brew. A lot of flavour going on here.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes smooth with the spices lingering especially with the fiery cayenne.

Overall - A flavourful and different take on this style by incorporating South Asian spices (cumin, curry, and cayenne). Some may find this combination a little savoury but for me I like the variance from the traditional foreign/extra stout. Worth a go if you are more on the adventurous palate side of the spectrum.

leaddog from Alberta (Canada), Apr 08, 2018
3.85/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle - lots of relatively exotic stuff apparently made it into this particular offering. Let's see if they stuck around, shall we?

This beer pours a fairly solid black, with subtle red cola basal edges, and four fingers of puffy, rocky, and somewhat bubbly brown head, which leaves absolutely nothing in the way of lace anywhere near the glass as it slowly sinks away. Silly peppers.

It smells of well, Indian curry over coconut Basmati rice (so the cumin and cayenne get kind of short shift, at the moment), bready and doughy caramel malt, bittersweet cocoa powder, faint generic citrus notes, and very little else. The taste is gritty and grainy caramel malt, a touch of free-range ashiness, some zingy cayenne pepper heat, well-mixed curry spice, more bewildered-seeming chocolate notes, sugary coconut flakes, and some plain, indistinct citrus peel.

The carbonation is average in its workaday frothiness, the body a decent medium weight, and sort of smooth, once one becomes acclimatized to that heady curry spiciness, of course. It finishes off-dry, the base stout asserting itself against the lingering, if moderated heat.

Overall - yup, this comes across as if you made a nice Rogan Josh (my preference, is all), and then dumped in a few bombers of dense export stout, to let reduce until just a bit watery. I'm saying this as a good thing, as although I've already had a big dinner, I'm now craving a little bit of takeout from the Little India area near where I live right now.

biboergosum from Alberta (Canada), Feb 12, 2018
2.75/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I got this beer in a clearance sale for $3 - wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I was very hesitant to buy it, with good reason. I do like Indian food though, so I thought it might pair well with some of that. Upon opening it I was met with some unusual smells for a beer. I poured it and experienced a large thin foamy head. I took a sip and knew this wasn't an easy-drinker even though Porters are one of my favorite styles. I couldn't drink much and recapped it until the next day when I could cook some Indian food to go with it.
That day arrived and I had some spicy eggplant with green pepper and red onion, hopefully spicy enough to stand up to it. Well, the beer was still foamy and pretty damn spicy, but drinkable.. DO NOT attempt to drink this without spicy food.
Would I buy another at any price? Hell no.

Beerboe from Missouri, Feb 02, 2018

In tulip at the Danville, VA brewery.

Indra doubled down on the darkness. There’s a pretty good light tan head.

The lime leaves are front and center, but the aromas run the curry gambit; cumin, pepper, and all that other earthy stuff. I think it might even be coconut curry.

Dark chocolate, coconut, lime leaf, cumin, curry powder, vanilla.

Cold, thin, and bubbly stout. Earthy finish redolent with various aftertastes.

I love this stout. Maybe it’s because I love curry and I love stout. They meld well.

brewerburgundy from California, Dec 22, 2017
3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, 7% ABV, 50 IBU. Pours thick and black, with a two finger tan head that left no lacing. Nose is curry and other complimenting spices, taste follows plus pepper heat and a moderate bitter close. And something tangy, maybe lime. OK mouthfeel, overall excellent. I've wanted to try this for quite a while since I like curry - and like some curry dishes, it smells better than it tastes.

bbtkd from South Dakota, Sep 04, 2017
4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No idea why this beer gets no love...maybe it is bc I love curry...anways.... deep black body with a fluffy brown head. Aroma is both sweet and spicy, some nuttiness underneath. Flavor is biting, lots of curry spice interplayed with roasted malt. Very unique and dang tasty.

frasergrove from California, Aug 09, 2017
3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a stiff burnt dark brown close to black color with an eggshell white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Slight running messy lace slid into the beer.
The aroma had the roast, coffee, and dark chocolate nibs up front and then having a nice involvement of some lime, coconut, paprika, cumin and toast coming in fairly nice.
The flavor revolved around those spices a bit more than the "foreign/export stout" qualities, which didn't bother me. It was just something I noticed. Definitely a spicy grip in the aftertaste along with some roast and lime.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with more of a sipping sort of quality about it due to the spicy grip this beer has on my tongue. IBU's do seem contained enough to allow the spices to take the lead for the harshness. Carbonation felt appropriate. ABV felt as projected by the brewer.
Overall, for the most part, I thought this was solid. But I have to admit, it seemed a bit of a palate wrecker due to those spices. I didn't mind that.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Dark, dark brown pour... nearly black with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Nice ring of lacing.

S: Absolutely fantastic nose... coconut, cream, and lime. Spicy and exotic.

T/F: Surprisingly light in body... too light for the flavors actually. Roasted malts/sugars... mild sweetness and then a fairly spicy burn from the curry and cayenne. Leaves the back of the throat tingling. A bit of lime comes through as well. Finish is spicy and warm. Fairly low ABV. Coconut comes through in the aftertaste.

O: A complex beer... and I absolutely love the aroma. The flavor.... not as much. A bit overboard on the heat, too light/low ABV, and limited in terms of drinkability. Wish I'd had someone to share the bomber with.

EMV from Pennsylvania, Jul 08, 2017
3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well this is a interesting beer. Pours a jet black with a small tan head. Nose is of cumin, paprika and light toasted malt. Taste of curry powder. Yep this one taste like curry, cumin, paprika and lime. The lime could be that I'm imagining it there because of the cumin giving it a sort of tacos like feel idk lol! I knew what I was getting into when I purchased a curry beer I suppose but I know know I'm not the biggest fan of curry beers. Medium body, thinner than expected with a, well, curry finish. Not to hard on the score tho because it was well executed for what it was.

Edit: I just seen it is brewed with kafir lime leaf. Interesting in that I taste lime but I don't think I'm tasting the leaf. Do lime leafs taste like lime? It feels like lime is in there to me because of the cumin/paprika as stated above

MFMB from Idaho, Jun 13, 2017
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured on 6 June 2017 from a bomber dated 2 May 2017.
Beautiful bottle and label art--pretty standard for Ballast Point.
Pours a deep brown, not quite black, with cream colored head. Head settles after a few minutes into lasting rings around the glass.
Smells sweet, plenty of coconut and subtle lime on the nose, hints of the madras curry and cayanne.
Taste. Wow, very coco-brown up front when it's still cold, followed up by a punch of curry. Finishes with feint lime and the slow burn of cayenne as the beer warms up a bit. Mouthfeel is what you'd expect of a stout, plenty of small dense bubbles.
After 15 minutes from the bomber, the tastes really blend together, losing their distinctness. Maintains the cayenne finish, all the way to the bottom.

I'm surprised: A little hesitant picking this bomber up front the store, but Ballast Point did a great job keeping the flavors manageable when it could have been out of control (I used my coffee grinder to grind an Indian spice blend once...made coffee the next day, and I won't make that mistake again, but I digress).
Label says "Stout with Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut & Kaffir Lime," and it's exactly what it says. Not so different from Koko brown or coconut porters out there, but very unique with the curry and cayenne. Didn't taste a whole lot of cumin, but I'm okay with that as cumin sorta smells like armpit anyway.

Delivered on it's promise, but not my everyday beer:
4/5

TR_Severance from Colorado, Jun 07, 2017
4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

A-Deep brown or inky black. Lots of thick head.
S-Wow, yep there be curry in there, not much lime or coconut.
T-Just like it smells, but the stoutness is really lost.
M-Spicy, mildly carbonated, ok feel. Not much to tamp down the heat.
O-Yep, flavor explosion in your mouth. Definitely a strong curry taste and smell. I can barely taste the lime and coconut. Spicy but balanced. Its definitely a unique beer, but may put some people off because of it's uniqueness. You get exactly what the label says. I enjoyed it and would drink it again, but probably won't buy anymore. Wish it was sold in a 12 ounce bottle because a bomber is way too much to drink alone.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%

Wow that's a flavor explosion in my mouth. I have to keep drinking it because there's so many flavors coming out. Definitely a strong curry taste and smell. I can taste the lime and coconut as well. Spicy but balanced. Its definitely a unique beer. I wish I had some Indian food because it would pair very nicely. This beer me put some people off because of it's uniqueness. You get exactly what the label says. I really enjoyed it. Wish it was sold in a 12 ounce bottle because a bomber is way too much to drink alone.

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

On-tap served in a snifter at Hair of the Dog, Bangkok.

Very dark brown to almost black in color, it comes with thick light tan head that well retains itself with good retention before gradually sinking to some bubble film atop and leaving lots of sticky lacing here and there.

The aroma is like boom, then I encounter with all those heavy spices and curry. It is like a punch to face. It smells like an Indian curry soup together with pepper, cumin, coconut, and kaffir lime. The typical roasted or coffee/chocolate characters are completely sunken but it is surprisingly good.

The coconut is more stand out in the taste providing some sweetness and creaminess. The rest of the show is all about the spice and curry business with notes of pepper, cumin, again Indian curry soup, and kaffir lime zest. Roasted profile can be sensed here at the almost end with some bitter kick. The aftertaste is lasting with residual spice and curry.

Medium body with some good crisp and moderate carbonation through the palate, finish is very dry together with spice and curry on the tongue.

Drinking this makes me feel like eating a curry soup, it is a strange feeling but in good way without doubt.

Everydayoff from Thailand, Mar 01, 2017
3.29/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Pours with a nice billowing head. Beer certainly doesn't mislead you. Aroma is packed with cumin, jasmine, and curry with a undernote of curry. If I had some tandoori chicken in front of me instead of the beer I might not know the difference. Maybe a tad heavy on the spice but that is preference.

Taste follows suit, and I really enjoy the jasmine and coconut flavors on the front palate. There is some spice and cumin but it is pretty balanced imo. That said, it ends with a huge pepper kick that is just too much for me. Really disappointed they packed so much heat at the end cause upfront it plays nicely with some delicate flavors. Still, a truly unique beer everyone should try once.

ajm5108 from Pennsylvania, Feb 16, 2017
3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured fairly dark with a weak, tan head.

cumin and coconut stand out most in the nose to me. taste follows with cumin strongly in the lead and cayenne bringing up the rear. tingle from the pepper lingers a bit, but way more friendly than some other offerings. overall curry is a bit lost for me, as is the lime, but still hits you over the head with the spice. mouth is medium all around in terms of feel and carbonation, which is probably nice in that it's fairly clean except for the heat.

it's worth noting the advice on the ballast point website to let this one open up a bit - too cold and you lose a bit of the coconut. also worth noting you'll either love it or hate it, as is evidenced below.

me, well, it's growing on me. i started at a 3.25 overall and i'm slowing bumping it up a bit. it's not a 4, but it's not that bad.

Evilyak from Minnesota, Feb 14, 2017
3.14/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well well well, what have we here, a cuppahataz? When I read about this beer, I was like, "pfft, fuckin' spice racks, am I right? This was kinda the beginning of Ballast Point's "hey let's do a bunch of beers with adjunct shit thrown in.

Pours dark mohagany reddish brown/dark brown. Lighter colored 1/3" tan head on the top. Aroma is deep roast, curry, spice rack and other accoutrements like its a dogfish head beer.

Taste is all over the place, roasted malt, lime, curry, spice rack. I don't get any coconut. Spicy mouth feel. This is just straight up throw a bunch of shit together and see what happens kind of beer. Its novelty wears thin after a few drinks. A decent beer to share among 10 people, but hell no do I want to drink all of this by myself.

I mean its not terrible, just something I only want 3oz of at a time maybe.

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

22 oz bottle shared among friends after an Indian curry dinner.

very dark brown, not quite black. good head. very nice aroma of curry and just a touch of coconut. taste is slightly peppery, a touch of heat, earthy herbal spices on top of the roasted malt. medium bodied.

jmdrpi from Pennsylvania, Dec 22, 2016
3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black with a big foamy/creamy off white head that takes its sweet time disappearing.

Aroma: wow. interesting and unique. at first I smelled the curry, I took a break, took another whiff and the coconut was all over the place, with the curry reminding you its there.

Taste: after the initial, slightly sweet first sip, its quickly met with the curry and cayenne to turn up the heat. its not unbearable like the Habanero Sculpin, but just enough to linger on your tongue for a while. heat is the major component to this beer, but it seems like that was the goal. the flavor is interesting but since the drinkability suffers and the typical stout flavors are kind of lost in the mix, I deducted a bit on the taste score.

Feel: medium in body and carbonation.

kalosjakar from Rhode Island, Sep 21, 2016
4.27/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra Curry Foreign/Export Stout
(ABV: 7%) (IBU: 50)

This might just be the strangest beer you will try in your life. First brewed in 2011 by homebrewer Alex Tweet who concocted a twisted curry-stout recipe. Alex is also responsible for "Victory at Cereal" where he utilized Cap'n Crunch cereal in the brewing process. I think it's safe to say Alex Tweet makes some oddly unique brews.

Indra Kunindra uses coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne, cumin, and Madras curry spice to the beer. And yes... you read that correctly; in fact, the octopus on the artwork design is wiedling a few of these ingredients. Get ready for a South Asian flared foreign/export stout flavor explosion.

AROMA - heavy curry spice where you wonder what Indian Restaurant you wandered into, dark roasted malt, lime zest with undertones of toasted coconut, milk chocolate, and roasted coffee

APPEARANCE – pours an opaque jet black or better yet, an octopus ink hue! Foamy tan head with rocky micro-bubbles, great head retention which dissipates into a thin film atop the beer, streaks of lacing form on the edges of the glass similar to octopus tentacles

FLAVOR – explosion of curry as expected with a powerful coconut sweetness as a counter, citrus zest hoppiness, chili cumin spice, tart lime zest, cayenne pepper finish

MOUTHFEEL – light-medium bodied with a unique warmth from the cayenne peppers and 7% ABV, oddly smooth and creamy for the amount of ingredients, dry sticky/syrupy finish

OVERALL – say what you'd like, this beer might resemble Frankenstein, but you have to agree, it is well constructed. It seems the coconut and dark malt may be the only remnants left echoing the category of a stout. I wonder how many brewing sessions it took for Alex Tweet to perfect this madness. A must try to satisfy the curiosity flavor profile!!

BeerTv from California, Sep 06, 2016
3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Medium brownish black with a tan ring. Curry powder and indian cooking spices, roasted malts, and coconut nose, quite pleasant and off the way for the style, but not sure I want to drink it. Taste reinforces this fact, a fun novelty, the spice and malts work, but the lime and coconut clash with them. Feel is dry, frothy, spicy and malty. I want these flavors in my food, stout not so much

REVZEB from Illinois, Aug 24, 2016