Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,259 |  Reviews: 304
3.74/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a stiff burnt dark brown close to black color with an eggshell white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Slight running messy lace slid into the beer.
The aroma had the roast, coffee, and dark chocolate nibs up front and then having a nice involvement of some lime, coconut, paprika, cumin and toast coming in fairly nice.
The flavor revolved around those spices a bit more than the "foreign/export stout" qualities, which didn't bother me. It was just something I noticed. Definitely a spicy grip in the aftertaste along with some roast and lime.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with more of a sipping sort of quality about it due to the spicy grip this beer has on my tongue. IBU's do seem contained enough to allow the spices to take the lead for the harshness. Carbonation felt appropriate. ABV felt as projected by the brewer.
Overall, for the most part, I thought this was solid. But I have to admit, it seemed a bit of a palate wrecker due to those spices. I didn't mind that.

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Dark, dark brown pour... nearly black with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Nice ring of lacing.

S: Absolutely fantastic nose... coconut, cream, and lime. Spicy and exotic.

T/F: Surprisingly light in body... too light for the flavors actually. Roasted malts/sugars... mild sweetness and then a fairly spicy burn from the curry and cayenne. Leaves the back of the throat tingling. A bit of lime comes through as well. Finish is spicy and warm. Fairly low ABV. Coconut comes through in the aftertaste.

O: A complex beer... and I absolutely love the aroma. The flavor.... not as much. A bit overboard on the heat, too light/low ABV, and limited in terms of drinkability. Wish I'd had someone to share the bomber with.

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1.87/5  rDev -50.5%

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well this is a interesting beer. Pours a jet black with a small tan head. Nose is of cumin, paprika and light toasted malt. Taste of curry powder. Yep this one taste like curry, cumin, paprika and lime. The lime could be that I'm imagining it there because of the cumin giving it a sort of tacos like feel idk lol! I knew what I was getting into when I purchased a curry beer I suppose but I know know I'm not the biggest fan of curry beers. Medium body, thinner than expected with a, well, curry finish. Not to hard on the score tho because it was well executed for what it was.

Edit: I just seen it is brewed with kafir lime leaf. Interesting in that I taste lime but I don't think I'm tasting the leaf. Do lime leafs taste like lime? It feels like lime is in there to me because of the cumin/paprika as stated above

3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured on 6 June 2017 from a bomber dated 2 May 2017.
Beautiful bottle and label art--pretty standard for Ballast Point.
Pours a deep brown, not quite black, with cream colored head. Head settles after a few minutes into lasting rings around the glass.
Smells sweet, plenty of coconut and subtle lime on the nose, hints of the madras curry and cayanne.
Taste. Wow, very coco-brown up front when it's still cold, followed up by a punch of curry. Finishes with feint lime and the slow burn of cayenne as the beer warms up a bit. Mouthfeel is what you'd expect of a stout, plenty of small dense bubbles.
After 15 minutes from the bomber, the tastes really blend together, losing their distinctness. Maintains the cayenne finish, all the way to the bottom.

I'm surprised: A little hesitant picking this bomber up front the store, but Ballast Point did a great job keeping the flavors manageable when it could have been out of control (I used my coffee grinder to grind an Indian spice blend once...made coffee the next day, and I won't make that mistake again, but I digress).
Label says "Stout with Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut & Kaffir Lime," and it's exactly what it says. Not so different from Koko brown or coconut porters out there, but very unique with the curry and cayenne. Didn't taste a whole lot of cumin, but I'm okay with that as cumin sorta smells like armpit anyway.

Delivered on it's promise, but not my everyday beer:
4/5

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

A-Deep brown or inky black. Lots of thick head.
S-Wow, yep there be curry in there, not much lime or coconut.
T-Just like it smells, but the stoutness is really lost.
M-Spicy, mildly carbonated, ok feel. Not much to tamp down the heat.
O-Yep, flavor explosion in your mouth. Definitely a strong curry taste and smell. I can barely taste the lime and coconut. Spicy but balanced. Its definitely a unique beer, but may put some people off because of it's uniqueness. You get exactly what the label says. I enjoyed it and would drink it again, but probably won't buy anymore. Wish it was sold in a 12 ounce bottle because a bomber is way too much to drink alone.

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Yuk. Cumin is overwhelming. This combo didn't work.

1.22/5  rDev -67.7%

The curry and cumin completely overpowered the taste of this beer. If you like those flavors this beer is for you. Some things don't go in beer.

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow that's a flavor explosion in my mouth. I have to keep drinking it because there's so many flavors coming out. Definitely a strong curry taste and smell. I can taste the lime and coconut as well. Spicy but balanced. Its definitely a unique beer. I wish I had some Indian food because it would pair very nicely. This beer me put some people off because of it's uniqueness. You get exactly what the label says. I really enjoyed it. Wish it was sold in a 12 ounce bottle because a bomber is way too much to drink alone.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

On-tap served in a snifter at Hair of the Dog, Bangkok.

Very dark brown to almost black in color, it comes with thick light tan head that well retains itself with good retention before gradually sinking to some bubble film atop and leaving lots of sticky lacing here and there.

The aroma is like boom, then I encounter with all those heavy spices and curry. It is like a punch to face. It smells like an Indian curry soup together with pepper, cumin, coconut, and kaffir lime. The typical roasted or coffee/chocolate characters are completely sunken but it is surprisingly good.

The coconut is more stand out in the taste providing some sweetness and creaminess. The rest of the show is all about the spice and curry business with notes of pepper, cumin, again Indian curry soup, and kaffir lime zest. Roasted profile can be sensed here at the almost end with some bitter kick. The aftertaste is lasting with residual spice and curry.

Medium body with some good crisp and moderate carbonation through the palate, finish is very dry together with spice and curry on the tongue.

Drinking this makes me feel like eating a curry soup, it is a strange feeling but in good way without doubt.

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

3.29/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Pours with a nice billowing head. Beer certainly doesn't mislead you. Aroma is packed with cumin, jasmine, and curry with a undernote of curry. If I had some tandoori chicken in front of me instead of the beer I might not know the difference. Maybe a tad heavy on the spice but that is preference.

Taste follows suit, and I really enjoy the jasmine and coconut flavors on the front palate. There is some spice and cumin but it is pretty balanced imo. That said, it ends with a huge pepper kick that is just too much for me. Really disappointed they packed so much heat at the end cause upfront it plays nicely with some delicate flavors. Still, a truly unique beer everyone should try once.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured fairly dark with a weak, tan head.

cumin and coconut stand out most in the nose to me. taste follows with cumin strongly in the lead and cayenne bringing up the rear. tingle from the pepper lingers a bit, but way more friendly than some other offerings. overall curry is a bit lost for me, as is the lime, but still hits you over the head with the spice. mouth is medium all around in terms of feel and carbonation, which is probably nice in that it's fairly clean except for the heat.

it's worth noting the advice on the ballast point website to let this one open up a bit - too cold and you lose a bit of the coconut. also worth noting you'll either love it or hate it, as is evidenced below.

me, well, it's growing on me. i started at a 3.25 overall and i'm slowing bumping it up a bit. it's not a 4, but it's not that bad.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well well well, what have we here, a cuppahataz? When I read about this beer, I was like, "pfft, fuckin' spice racks, am I right? This was kinda the beginning of Ballast Point's "hey let's do a bunch of beers with adjunct shit thrown in.

Pours dark mohagany reddish brown/dark brown. Lighter colored 1/3" tan head on the top. Aroma is deep roast, curry, spice rack and other accoutrements like its a dogfish head beer.

Taste is all over the place, roasted malt, lime, curry, spice rack. I don't get any coconut. Spicy mouth feel. This is just straight up throw a bunch of shit together and see what happens kind of beer. Its novelty wears thin after a few drinks. A decent beer to share among 10 people, but hell no do I want to drink all of this by myself.

I mean its not terrible, just something I only want 3oz of at a time maybe.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz bottle shared among friends after an Indian curry dinner.

very dark brown, not quite black. good head. very nice aroma of curry and just a touch of coconut. taste is slightly peppery, a touch of heat, earthy herbal spices on top of the roasted malt. medium bodied.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company