Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 299 | Ratings: 1,245
3.76/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow that's a flavor explosion in my mouth. I have to keep drinking it because there's so many flavors coming out. Definitely a strong curry taste and smell. I can taste the lime and coconut as well. Spicy but balanced. Its definitely a unique beer. I wish I had some Indian food because it would pair very nicely. This beer me put some people off because of it's uniqueness. You get exactly what the label says. I really enjoyed it. Wish it was sold in a 12 ounce bottle because a bomber is way too much to drink alone.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

On-tap served in a snifter at Hair of the Dog, Bangkok.

Very dark brown to almost black in color, it comes with thick light tan head that well retains itself with good retention before gradually sinking to some bubble film atop and leaving lots of sticky lacing here and there.

The aroma is like boom, then I encounter with all those heavy spices and curry. It is like a punch to face. It smells like an Indian curry soup together with pepper, cumin, coconut, and kaffir lime. The typical roasted or coffee/chocolate characters are completely sunken but it is surprisingly good.

The coconut is more stand out in the taste providing some sweetness and creaminess. The rest of the show is all about the spice and curry business with notes of pepper, cumin, again Indian curry soup, and kaffir lime zest. Roasted profile can be sensed here at the almost end with some bitter kick. The aftertaste is lasting with residual spice and curry.

Medium body with some good crisp and moderate carbonation through the palate, finish is very dry together with spice and curry on the tongue.

Drinking this makes me feel like eating a curry soup, it is a strange feeling but in good way without doubt.

3.29/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Pours with a nice billowing head. Beer certainly doesn't mislead you. Aroma is packed with cumin, jasmine, and curry with a undernote of curry. If I had some tandoori chicken in front of me instead of the beer I might not know the difference. Maybe a tad heavy on the spice but that is preference.

Taste follows suit, and I really enjoy the jasmine and coconut flavors on the front palate. There is some spice and cumin but it is pretty balanced imo. That said, it ends with a huge pepper kick that is just too much for me. Really disappointed they packed so much heat at the end cause upfront it plays nicely with some delicate flavors. Still, a truly unique beer everyone should try once.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured fairly dark with a weak, tan head.

cumin and coconut stand out most in the nose to me. taste follows with cumin strongly in the lead and cayenne bringing up the rear. tingle from the pepper lingers a bit, but way more friendly than some other offerings. overall curry is a bit lost for me, as is the lime, but still hits you over the head with the spice. mouth is medium all around in terms of feel and carbonation, which is probably nice in that it's fairly clean except for the heat.

it's worth noting the advice on the ballast point website to let this one open up a bit - too cold and you lose a bit of the coconut. also worth noting you'll either love it or hate it, as is evidenced below.

me, well, it's growing on me. i started at a 3.25 overall and i'm slowing bumping it up a bit. it's not a 4, but it's not that bad.

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well well well, what have we here, a cuppahataz? When I read about this beer, I was like, "pfft, fuckin' spice racks, am I right? This was kinda the beginning of Ballast Point's "hey let's do a bunch of beers with adjunct shit thrown in.

Pours dark mohagany reddish brown/dark brown. Lighter colored 1/3" tan head on the top. Aroma is deep roast, curry, spice rack and other accoutrements like its a dogfish head beer.

Taste is all over the place, roasted malt, lime, curry, spice rack. I don't get any coconut. Spicy mouth feel. This is just straight up throw a bunch of shit together and see what happens kind of beer. Its novelty wears thin after a few drinks. A decent beer to share among 10 people, but hell no do I want to drink all of this by myself.

I mean its not terrible, just something I only want 3oz of at a time maybe.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz bottle shared among friends after an Indian curry dinner.

very dark brown, not quite black. good head. very nice aroma of curry and just a touch of coconut. taste is slightly peppery, a touch of heat, earthy herbal spices on top of the roasted malt. medium bodied.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black with a big foamy/creamy off white head that takes its sweet time disappearing.

Aroma: wow. interesting and unique. at first I smelled the curry, I took a break, took another whiff and the coconut was all over the place, with the curry reminding you its there.

Taste: after the initial, slightly sweet first sip, its quickly met with the curry and cayenne to turn up the heat. its not unbearable like the Habanero Sculpin, but just enough to linger on your tongue for a while. heat is the major component to this beer, but it seems like that was the goal. the flavor is interesting but since the drinkability suffers and the typical stout flavors are kind of lost in the mix, I deducted a bit on the taste score.

Feel: medium in body and carbonation.

4.27/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra Curry Foreign/Export Stout
(ABV: 7%) (IBU: 50)

This might just be the strangest beer you will try in your life. First brewed in 2011 by homebrewer Alex Tweet who concocted a twisted curry-stout recipe. Alex is also responsible for "Victory at Cereal" where he utilized Cap'n Crunch cereal in the brewing process. I think it's safe to say Alex Tweet makes some oddly unique brews.

Indra Kunindra uses coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne, cumin, and Madras curry spice to the beer. And yes... you read that correctly; in fact, the octopus on the artwork design is wiedling a few of these ingredients. Get ready for a South Asian flared foreign/export stout flavor explosion.

AROMA - heavy curry spice where you wonder what Indian Restaurant you wandered into, dark roasted malt, lime zest with undertones of toasted coconut, milk chocolate, and roasted coffee

APPEARANCE – pours an opaque jet black or better yet, an octopus ink hue! Foamy tan head with rocky micro-bubbles, great head retention which dissipates into a thin film atop the beer, streaks of lacing form on the edges of the glass similar to octopus tentacles

FLAVOR – explosion of curry as expected with a powerful coconut sweetness as a counter, citrus zest hoppiness, chili cumin spice, tart lime zest, cayenne pepper finish

MOUTHFEEL – light-medium bodied with a unique warmth from the cayenne peppers and 7% ABV, oddly smooth and creamy for the amount of ingredients, dry sticky/syrupy finish

OVERALL – say what you'd like, this beer might resemble Frankenstein, but you have to agree, it is well constructed. It seems the coconut and dark malt may be the only remnants left echoing the category of a stout. I wonder how many brewing sessions it took for Alex Tweet to perfect this madness. A must try to satisfy the curiosity flavor profile!!

1.34/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark brown color with a 1-finger khaki head. Has tons of floaters swirling around the glass.

The aroma is all cumin with just a touch of coconut. Not horrible, per se, but not something I enjoy smelling in a beer.

Oh god the flavor. There's an incredibly subtle note of sweet coconut up front here, which is good, until getting slapped in the face by a curry and vomit pancake. If I don't swallow, I can taste the lime and cumin a bit, but then my reflexes kick in and I force this disgusting bile down my gullet and get assaulted by cayenne peppers. My throat is burning. Why does this exist?

The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is chalky and dry, with no respite from the fires of hell that are the cayenne peppers.

Overall, I literally hate this beer. None of the flavors work and it's just far too spicy. If I want Indian food, I'll order Indian food.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste: bold India curry spices with coconut sweet, herbal tea notes and peppery heat.
Complex herbal lime and curry nose.
Black, opaque, with a thick tan head, some lace. Medium/full body. Like drinking an Indian buffet.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a thick consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, off white head that lasted an average amount of time. No lacing to speak of.

S: A strong, spicy aroma of pepper, cumin, chocolate, and coconut.

T: Definitely a bold spicy flavor here: Cayenne pepper, a bit of malt, cumin, chocolate, coconut, a bit of coffee, and some curry as well. Lots of Indian spices will definitely put some people off. It's incredibly hot - especially in the finish, but it's oddly likable.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth, but ultimately hot finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not surprisingly, this is a polarizing beer. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're adventurous, give it a shot.

Absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted in over twenty years of drinking craft beer. Complete drain pour. Cumin with subtle hints of diarrhea. Terrible. Wish I could give negative rating.

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

Should have read the fine print instead of just assuming this was a hoppy stout.... It's deff really good if you're in the mood for a very present cayane and cumin flavor but if you're not.... Well you won't hate it

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Intense, if not a little too abrasive for my tastes...but I respect the brewers' intentions. The curry flavor and cayenne dominate up front and linger in the aftertaste. The coconut sweetness and a little lime zest come through before fading behind the heat. Mouth feel is a little thin for a stout. Overall, very unique. Not a beer I'd want a lot of in one sitting, but certainly worth a try.

4.51/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a deep black color whit a medium head. The aroma presents bubblegum, lemongrass, cumin, as well as lots of floral and perfumey smells I cannot quite identify. The flavor also starts with bubblegum as well as banana laffy taffy, cumin, cardamom, greeen curry spices, and again some off floral notes. The mouthfeel is fairly thin and bright. Overall this is a beer that is a crazy as advertised, unique in flavor profile, it offers things no other beer has for me.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a thin beige head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very strong spices, some roasted malts and some coffee, but pretty much all minty, peppery, herbal spices.

T: The taste starts out sweet with a quick burst of coffee and some chocolate that initially leads you to think that the spice might not be quite as strong as you smelled. No sooner you finish that thought… here it comes… an onslaught of peppery, herbal, minty spices, even some heat (Is that curry?). As dominant as the spices are, the coffee, chocolate and lactose flavors keep flashing in. The malt character is hearty and the hops presence is mild but I don’t think there’s enough malt or hops available to balance the spices in this beer. The after-taste is (yeah, you guessed it) very spicy and slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is very sticky.

O: I’ll give credit for the beer being flavorful and quite complex, does not go down easily, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, it’s a very uniquely intense beer overall.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow....all I can say is wow. I'm rating this beer for brewer intentions.....not personal taste. The beer poured an opaque black with ecru head that did not leave much lace. The scent was a cacaphony of spices...cumin, pepper and other stuff. The taste was spicy and reminded me of masala. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's definitely worth a try. It's on par with the rogue siracha.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

$ 7.64/bomber ($ 0.347/oz) at Oppermann’s Cork N Ale, Saginaw, MI
Undated bomber at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter, allowed to warm to 50 degrees
Aroma – basically, curry
Head large (Five cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, rapidly diminishing to a three mm ring and no layer
Lacing - none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor – curry, definitely curry, burns my mouth. Not really picking up any stout qualities. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate full, almost creamy, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had a couple Curry beers before and I thought this one would be worth a try, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's got a good design and it's eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that didn't really let any light come through with two fingers worth of fluffy slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the coconut being the first to show up and it's the most noticeable with some cinnamon coming right after it and then come the rest of the spices with a little bit of cayenne and cumin coming through with some caramel malt and caramel like aromas with a good amount of sweet malts, it helps bring some balance and it fits right in with the coconut. This beer has a good aroma, it lives up to it's name, but it's hard to tell this is a stout just from the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the coconut still being the first to show up and it imparts the same nice and natural coconut aspects that I got in the aroma. Up next comes all the spices coming through at once, the cinnamon and cumin stick out the most, but the cayenne imparts a noticeable light burn in the back of mu throat. More caramel flavors coming through at the end with a little bitterness with a light burn from the pepper with some cinnamon and coconut flavors in the aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, it's got all the aspects that I would expect from a curry beer and they work well together.

M- A little smooth, a little warming, a little tingly, creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice, but i wish the warming heat was toned down just a little.

This is a pretty nice beer and a good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for and when it came to the balance it was pretty good for the most part. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, the tingly and warming heat made it so that just a glass or a half a glass would be the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is that it lived up to being called a curry beer and all the key flavors were there. What I like the least about this beer is the stout base didn't come through much and I wish the warming heat was a little toned down. I might buy this beer again when in the mood for a curry beer and I don't think I would turn one down. I would recommend it to anyone who likes curry beers. All in all I liked this beer, but it's pretty intense and I think you really have to like curry to enjoy this beer. It's not a favorite Ballast Point beer and it's one of the better curry beers I've had. Good job guys, this is a good Curry beer.

4.87/5  rDev +28.8%

Had this beer last night. One of the most complex beers I've had. This is definitely a sipper. Very well balanced. Would recommend for anyone to try it

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4-11-16 - On tap at the Ballast Point Tasting Room in the Little Italy section of San Diego. 8 oz. pour into a tall tulip glass. Spectacular cumin and curry aromas! Dark brown color with no head. No residue cling. Clean fresh mouthfeel. Cayenne pepper spice is just the right amount. Very interesting "curry stout". Glad I had this one.

2.64/5  rDev -30.2%

Aroma is complex Indian spices and Jasmin/cumin. The flavor is complex Indian spices, dark malts, fruit and a mix of acidity and spicy heat in the finish.

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was better than I thought it would be. The aroma and taste shocked me. Everything was over powering, but for me it worked, I got all the key flavors explained by Ballast Point.

"Curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. "

I got that, and cinnamon, and so many other aromas and tastes. WOW

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours a deep black with a nice tan head. Smell is of curry spices upfront and a bit of roasted malt on the back. The taste starts off with a nice sweeter stout taste but immediately turns into curry spice. As you breath it in, the curry becomes dominant and makes for one of the more interesting spiced stouts I've ever had. Feel is very good but just a tiny bit thin for me - a tiny bit only though.
Overall, a fantastic CURRY stout (you must like curry) and one to definitely try on its own or with some Indian food.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours black with limited brown head... looks more like a coffee than a beer. Smells of mollases and cumin

Immediate hit of molases followed by indian spice, and a super dry, slightly spicy finish. Some hints of coconut milk, some nutiness, and a bready quality.

Like the taste more than the mouthful, which is dry and tacky, It retains enough beer-like quality and has some interesting flavors to explore, to make it worth a try. Probably would mix well with some spicy thai or indian fare, but probably too much over the top to return to on a frequent basis.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company