Indra Kunindra

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra
Notes: Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.
Reviews: 315 | Ratings: 1,291 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by rhhjr:
4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.66/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You get exactly what they promote with this beer -- India spices, curry, and tons of flavor packed into a nice export stout. Don't hate because you aren't as much of a curry fan as you thought. No false advertising here.

1.34/5  rDev -64.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark brown color with a 1-finger khaki head. Has tons of floaters swirling around the glass.

The aroma is all cumin with just a touch of coconut. Not horrible, per se, but not something I enjoy smelling in a beer.

Oh god the flavor. There's an incredibly subtle note of sweet coconut up front here, which is good, until getting slapped in the face by a curry and vomit pancake. If I don't swallow, I can taste the lime and cumin a bit, but then my reflexes kick in and I force this disgusting bile down my gullet and get assaulted by cayenne peppers. My throat is burning. Why does this exist?

The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is chalky and dry, with no respite from the fires of hell that are the cayenne peppers.

Overall, I literally hate this beer. None of the flavors work and it's just far too spicy. If I want Indian food, I'll order Indian food.

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

Pours a deep black with a nice tan head. Smell is of curry spices upfront and a bit of roasted malt on the back. The taste starts off with a nice sweeter stout taste but immediately turns into curry spice. As you breath it in, the curry becomes dominant and makes for one of the more interesting spiced stouts I've ever had. Feel is very good but just a tiny bit thin for me - a tiny bit only though.
Overall, a fantastic CURRY stout (you must like curry) and one to definitely try on its own or with some Indian food.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Dark black with a milk chocolate head, with plenty of fish eyes.

S: There is a lot going on here. The front is curry and almost gives me a little bit of a taco seasoning thing... odd.. but behind that there is a sweet coconut and chocolate aroma..

T: Man that is weird. Curry up front, with a touch of spiciness, which mellows into dark chocolate, coconut, and roasted grains, followed by a hint of lime. It is certainly interesting, but I don't know if I like it. I enjoy the multitude of different flavors, but am not sure

M: Medium in feel, with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this beer is a misfit. It is certainly interesting, and well made, but I am not sure if the flavor profile is up my alley. It is interesting that this multitude of flavors works together in one brew which is impressive, just not sure if I love it.

4.68/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

wow! tried 2015 bottle. i will have to get another bottle. love the lime and coconut at the beginning then fades to cinnamon, curry, and lastly the cayenne than creeps in at the end then stout malt. this is truly exotic. I thought this was well executed.

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

I don't care if you don't like curry, you have to admit this beer is brilliantly made! horrifically underrated here on BA. this pours a radiant inky black color, unsuspicious, and boasting an inch or so of lacy mocha head. the nose is just insane, like dank takeout indian food. there is all of the elements, curry powder, cumin, which is very strong, kaffir lime leaf, which is almost refreshing amidst all the dark roast, and coconut, to sweeten things up. there is also the cayenne, if you take a really hard sniff, it almost burns the nostrils, true to form. the taste is every bit as good as the nose, like exceptional takeout food. the curry is strong, the cumin is fresh, the chili is just in the finish, and the coconut and lime leaf cut through some of the other heavy flavors. I can only imagine how many times they made this beer wrong or out of proportion before they got it right. it certainly is dialed now, seriously fantastic. the mix of flavors here is like nothing I would have ever expected in a beer. I have to say, a whole bottle would have been too much, and im not sure im in a hurry to find this again, but what a wonderful treat to get to try such a creative and artfully crafted bottle of beer. this is really something special, and it puts the countless spiced beers to shame. you wont believe this beer until you taste it!

4.67/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an experimental beer that deviates entirely from Stout conventions. Serve this in an 19th century London Pub and you'd get shot with a mousegun.

Ballast Point blends traditional South Asian spices with malty and chocolate flavors to build a hybrid has a broad spectrum of flavor and a nice spicy kick at its end.

S: The madras curry and cumin dominate the aroma. After tasting the beer the coconut and malt notes pop a little bolder. Strangely, there's very little here that suggests the kind of polarizing flavors the taste blends together... Really, the Indra puts all of its aesthetic joy into the taste-- which, hey, is where it should be.

T: Unique, experimental blend of a spicy curry and a sweet stout. The curry, kaffir lime and cumin dominate the head of the beer but fade into the sugary coconut and malt. The beer finishes with a cayenne kick that lingers through to the next sip and bundles the flavor across swallows. The spiciness is enough to get your attention but it also washes out the bitterness in the kaffir lime and the cumin, drawing the natural sugar notes out of the fruits and the malt.

I can understand why this brew has such diametric reviews on this site. It's not only eschewing the traditional balance and flavor of a stout, but its also stepping outside of the South Asian palate that we're used to from take-out (or the food carts in Bangkok).

Indra uses the natural lactose from the malt to balance out the spice and citrus instead of the cloves or coriander that's traditional to the South Asian dishes we all know. It's a hybrid taste, albeit on the Asian side of the palate. But the spicy and sweet notes it hits are very vibrant and Ballast Point succeeds in bringing these difficult, often discordant, flavors together into one robust stout. At the end of each sip is the sweetness of the lime, the milkiness of the coconut and the steady burn of the cayenne. Very nice indeed.

O: this beer should be served with food to help balance out its weaknesses-- namely it dominates the entire palate, pushing its range of spices to the extreme. But since it manages to blend together an entire spectrum of flavors, slowing down, sipping and enjoying the Indra is one of the most rewarding culinary experiences I've had this year.

Pairing with South Asian or South-East Asian food is a no-brainer. I wouldn't match it up with any mild food, like scallops in butter sauce, because the cayenne and curry would overwhelm the main dish. I'd really love to try this beer with something equally as sweet and spicy-- like a really good mango chutney or pork chops with an apple-jalapeno sauce. Since the beer intentionally skipped on the cloves, I bet any red meat with a good clove note would mesh up with this beer.

4.5 out of 5.0

PROs: Experimental beer that's put South Asia into a stout-- wide range of disparate flavors held together by a harmony of malt and cayenne. Complex taste and doesn't fade after a few sips. Every swallow has the whole flavor range in it and even though it bulges towards its limits, the spicy bitterness is checked by a subtle, but powerful malt and coconut sweet finish. Very well built and keeps the drinker engaged. Meshes up with South Asian food perfectly.

CONS: Certainly an oddball. Can imagine it tasting engineered. Very potent beer-- it's not going to be ignored or blend into the background; demands your full attention with each sip which can overpower other flavors, especially foods. The extremes of its ingredients can bury some of the more subtle flavors it is striving for, making it feel like a tug of war between spicy and malt, or worse curry and cumin.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - nice dark brown opaque beer with a mocha head that dissipates pretty quickly but leaves okay lacing
S - curry, cumin, black pepper, creamy coconut, little bit of roasted malt in there, little smokiness
T - curry, black pepper, umami, definitely some creamy coconut in there, spicy
M - for a 7% stout this has a heavy, complex mouthfeel, alcohol is completely covered, aftertaste is spicy curry
O - This beer is a million times better than drinking another boring 7% stout/porter, it's very complex, and for me puts itself in a realm of beers that are 10-12% abv. I don't know if i'd necessarily buy it again, but it's good.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I LOVE Indian food. This is aVERY underrated beer from an Indian food lover perspective. Bring that dish level 10 spicy ALL DAY...with this to pair it.

3.14/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well well well, what have we here, a cuppahataz? When I read about this beer, I was like, "pfft, fuckin' spice racks, am I right? This was kinda the beginning of Ballast Point's "hey let's do a bunch of beers with adjunct shit thrown in.

Pours dark mohagany reddish brown/dark brown. Lighter colored 1/3" tan head on the top. Aroma is deep roast, curry, spice rack and other accoutrements like its a dogfish head beer.

Taste is all over the place, roasted malt, lime, curry, spice rack. I don't get any coconut. Spicy mouth feel. This is just straight up throw a bunch of shit together and see what happens kind of beer. Its novelty wears thin after a few drinks. A decent beer to share among 10 people, but hell no do I want to drink all of this by myself.

I mean its not terrible, just something I only want 3oz of at a time maybe.

1.17/5  rDev -68.8%

Maybe this just wasn't for me, but I hated it. Worst taste ive ever had in my mouth. I tried it on tap on the brewery one night and hated it, so I assumed something was wrong with the tap. Had a bottle the next week, and it was just as bad as I remembered it. Smells like a dirty diaper wrapped in indian food, tastes even worse.

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

Execution - 5.
Drink ability - 1.

Tastes like a curry in a glass but it's impossible to actually drink. Might be worth cooking with...

4.87/5  rDev +29.9%

Had this beer last night. One of the most complex beers I've had. This is definitely a sipper. Very well balanced. Would recommend for anyone to try it

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra Curry Foreign/Export Stout
(ABV: 7%) (IBU: 50)

This might just be the strangest beer you will try in your life. First brewed in 2011 by homebrewer Alex Tweet who concocted a twisted curry-stout recipe. Alex is also responsible for "Victory at Cereal" where he utilized Cap'n Crunch cereal in the brewing process. I think it's safe to say Alex Tweet makes some oddly unique brews.

Indra Kunindra uses coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne, cumin, and Madras curry spice to the beer. And yes... you read that correctly; in fact, the octopus on the artwork design is wiedling a few of these ingredients. Get ready for a South Asian flared foreign/export stout flavor explosion.

AROMA - heavy curry spice where you wonder what Indian Restaurant you wandered into, dark roasted malt, lime zest with undertones of toasted coconut, milk chocolate, and roasted coffee

APPEARANCE – pours an opaque jet black or better yet, an octopus ink hue! Foamy tan head with rocky micro-bubbles, great head retention which dissipates into a thin film atop the beer, streaks of lacing form on the edges of the glass similar to octopus tentacles

FLAVOR – explosion of curry as expected with a powerful coconut sweetness as a counter, citrus zest hoppiness, chili cumin spice, tart lime zest, cayenne pepper finish

MOUTHFEEL – light-medium bodied with a unique warmth from the cayenne peppers and 7% ABV, oddly smooth and creamy for the amount of ingredients, dry sticky/syrupy finish

OVERALL – say what you'd like, this beer might resemble Frankenstein, but you have to agree, it is well constructed. It seems the coconut and dark malt may be the only remnants left echoing the category of a stout. I wonder how many brewing sessions it took for Alex Tweet to perfect this madness. A must try to satisfy the curiosity flavor profile!!

4.85/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer recommended to me by my son.
Poured this into a glass and was amazed by the scents rolling out of the glass. Cumin and curry are right up front and strong. The cayenne pepper hits with a nice secondary flavor and leaves some lingering heat. Coconut, lime and there has to be other flavors too, all combine to complete to the overall appeal.
To repeat a few a few of the other reviews posted on this beer the flavors work together. It is not that often you can refer to a beer experiences as exciting. Still working on the rating scale but this one deserves to be at or near the top of any list.

I. AM. IN. LOVE.

I can't get enough of a thick chewy stout and quite frankly anytime threatens my pallet I know I'm in for a good time. I purchased the flight of the three main pallet wreckers and went to town trampling my pallet into a stringent submission between the curry, the ginger and the chipotle. Of the three Indra Kunindra was the heavy weight. Not only was it thick and chewy the way I like my stouts it was hotter that the Red thai curry I had not only an hour beforehand. This was my first time at Ballast point and rest assured it will not be the last. Amazing. Why I can't buy a growlerfull is beyond me, it's as though they know I will misuse it somehow?
HOW DO THEY KNOW!? How!

*Also, bring your pets and bring food. ... Preferably Thai. You wont be disappointed.

*Oh yes, and bring me. I'll be needing more Indra Kunindra to smother all over my body.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance: Mild head retention, , nice lacing. Black with a light brown head.

Nose: Loads of cumin and curry, with a little pepper in the middle. Coconut smoothness.

Taste: Many Indian spices put together very nicely. Curry and spice at the end. Some very nice pepper hotness at the end. Blended perfectly. These are not easy spices to play around with. You get sweet, flavorful, spicy and bitter...in that order.

Notes: I reviewed this so highly because of the complexity and competence with which these spices were added.

4.73/5  rDev +26.1%

A-black with a decent dark tan head that thins quickly

S-roasted coffee and definitely some indian smelling spices, the kinds i expect to smell in an Indian restaurant. seriously smells a bit like curry. i've never smelled a beer like this. its odd.

T-wow this is odd! this comes in with an extremely evident flavor of coconut curry. wow i can't believe this. the cocoa is minimal. then comes in a fairly heavy heat of indian peppers. its awesome. this is awesome. wow. the spice really has a kick that stays.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is just an awesome beer. i've never, ever had anything like this. i was expecting some sort of weird dogfish headesque concoction that is weird and okay, but doesn't quite flow right. but this flows right, very right. its so yummy! its something i can drink all night, i'll actually be craving this when its gone, i know so. the spice hits so well.

4.87/5  rDev +29.9%

One of the craziest and most delicious beers I have ever had.

A: dark black with light amber hues when held to light with a thin tan head.

S: lots of coconut, roasted chicory, cayenne, cumin, curry spice. Coconut dominates.

T: Amazing. This tasted like Thai green curry, lots of coconut, like spices coconut milk, curry, a touch of heat at the end. Everything in a perfect balance. No flavor dominating.

M: Thick and chewy, milky, a satisfying stout body.

Overall: I wasn't going to buy this beer because quite frankly, it sounded disgusting, but the clerk at Holiday Wine cellar talked me into it and man am I glad he did. A crazy idea that totally came together and just worked. I split this bomber with a friend and we were blown away. A unique, and highly recommended brew if you can find it.

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

For my money, it doesn't get much better than this. Deep dark brown color with robust head that really let's you breathe in that curry and coconut aroma. The curry hits your taste buds immediately, and sticks around when the heat from the cayenne kicks in. I don't detect the lime until the aftertaste, but it rounds out a terrific experience, and makes you want to go right back in for another sip. If you don't like curry, don't bother, you wouldn't understand the brilliance that is this beer.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/21/2014. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and the wide variety of spices; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Moderate earthy spices and heat on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, toast, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and big spice flavors; with a nice malt/spice balance with no cloying flavors after the finish and a moderate amount of lingering heat. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth and fairly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol was well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish other than the heat from the spices. Overall this was a very nice spiced stout. All around good complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; and quite smooth to sip on despite the moderate heat. A very enjoyable offering.

4.28/5  rDev +14.1%

A: pours slick black with a quarter inch medium khaki head looks delish until I look at the bottom of the glass unfortunately there are some kind chunks that have sunk to the bottom, not sure if it's lime rind or some of the spices clumped together but it's not appealing.
S: wow....amazing!! every ingredient listed is definitely apparent in the aroma, the lime is most pronounced as you pour it but after its warmed a bit the curry and cumin come out quit a bit follow by the cayenne finally the coconut being the most minimum
T: Again, wow! spot on! all flavors blend together gloriously, the cayenne hits in the end of the after taste along side the lime, the spices of the curry and cumin hit mid-palate with a hint of lime, the coconut is lacking unfortunately. Also looking for a little roasted malt to balance and bring it all together, if this had been given more time to mellow it'd be even more amazing.
F: could definitely be less carbonated, I'd say it's a medium to medium high carbonated stout. I'm sure time would help this too.
O.A. amazing stout, unlike anything I've ever seen before. Needs more time in the bottle been in my fridge for 2 months, should have waited 2 to 3 more, but as always curiousity got the best of me!

Absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted in over twenty years of drinking craft beer. Complete drain pour. Cumin with subtle hints of diarrhea. Terrible. Wish I could give negative rating.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company