Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Liked:
3.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,263 |  Reviews: 306
4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

Smells really unique. Good flavor. I like experimentation when it pays off, and I think it does here

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Didn't know what to expect from this. Can't even begin to explain the smell and taste of this beer but I loved it. This is so unique. My only complaint is how hot this was at first but as I got near the end my palate adjusted to the heat and really enjoyed this. Such a strange but wonderful brew. Would drink again. This is very underrated in my opinion.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Novel concept, well executed. Surprised to be in the minority on this one.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What an amzingly balanced beer. So many interesting flavors in my mouth. Huge notes of curry and spices finishing with a magical waterfall of coconut. A great beer to share with friends after a nice meal. I'd love to meet the guy who came up with this recipe.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

I don't care if you don't like curry, you have to admit this beer is brilliantly made! horrifically underrated here on BA. this pours a radiant inky black color, unsuspicious, and boasting an inch or so of lacy mocha head. the nose is just insane, like dank takeout indian food. there is all of the elements, curry powder, cumin, which is very strong, kaffir lime leaf, which is almost refreshing amidst all the dark roast, and coconut, to sweeten things up. there is also the cayenne, if you take a really hard sniff, it almost burns the nostrils, true to form. the taste is every bit as good as the nose, like exceptional takeout food. the curry is strong, the cumin is fresh, the chili is just in the finish, and the coconut and lime leaf cut through some of the other heavy flavors. I can only imagine how many times they made this beer wrong or out of proportion before they got it right. it certainly is dialed now, seriously fantastic. the mix of flavors here is like nothing I would have ever expected in a beer. I have to say, a whole bottle would have been too much, and im not sure im in a hurry to find this again, but what a wonderful treat to get to try such a creative and artfully crafted bottle of beer. this is really something special, and it puts the countless spiced beers to shame. you wont believe this beer until you taste it!

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

4.41/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.41/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.41/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Great smell but spicy in the aftertaste

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An obviously polarizing brew, but if you're a bit of a foodie, or if you otherwise enjoy pungent spices and heat, this is your brew. For me, it's brilliant, but buyer beware indeed.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Small Bar, poured into pint glass

A: Black, opaque, dark brown head. Small patches of lacing stick to the glass.

S: Good lord, what a unique nose. Complete spice overload. Cumin and chili prominent, the brew gives off notes of licorice and curry and about half of your spice rack.

T: The curry plays a much bigger role than I the nose, and the brew gives off a lot of heat, but in balance. Cumin, paprika, nutmeg bounce around. Subtle notes of vanilla and unsweetened chocolate fall out, and a touch of hop astringency. Amazingly, everything works.

M: Medium comexioun, slightly creamy.

4.39/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow....all I can say is wow. I'm rating this beer for brewer intentions.....not personal taste. The beer poured an opaque black with ecru head that did not leave much lace. The scent was a cacaphony of spices...cumin, pepper and other stuff. The taste was spicy and reminded me of masala. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's definitely worth a try. It's on par with the rogue siracha.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4-11-16 - On tap at the Ballast Point Tasting Room in the Little Italy section of San Diego. 8 oz. pour into a tall tulip glass. Spectacular cumin and curry aromas! Dark brown color with no head. No residue cling. Clean fresh mouthfeel. Cayenne pepper spice is just the right amount. Very interesting "curry stout". Glad I had this one.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As other people have mentioned, this beer is exactly what it says it is and amazing. I have a case of it at my house. Substantial and drinkable, reads as a stout upfront and then you get the pepper and cumin spice in your mouth, finishes off nicely with lime. Very delicious on its own, even better with some spicy food. Try it!

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company