Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,262 |  Reviews: 305

This might have been the worst attempt at any beverage in the history of man. The mouthfeel (though spit up almost on consumption) was mouth full of spices that were balanced as if a deaf, dumb, blind, mute, Ethiopian wonderer grabbed a cabinet full of random dirt & attempted to make curry. The taste was 1 half sip away from vomitus. The appearance is as dark as night with a light stout head which is its only upside. I'm a US Marine & beer snob I'm quite aware, but I would not serve this "swill" to ISIS militants. That is how bad this product is. BP you are a top tier beer producer but on this you failed miserably. Please for the love of all beer drinkers everywhere take this urine off the shelves.

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5.

Worst beer I've ever had. Curry does not belong in beer.

One of the few drain pours I've had. One taste and you will be asking yourself what in god's name was the brewmaster thinking?

Absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted in over twenty years of drinking craft beer. Complete drain pour. Cumin with subtle hints of diarrhea. Terrible. Wish I could give negative rating.

Damn, that's just not right...

1.09/5  rDev -71.2%

1.12/5  rDev -70.4%

1.17/5  rDev -69%

Maybe this just wasn't for me, but I hated it. Worst taste ive ever had in my mouth. I tried it on tap on the brewery one night and hated it, so I assumed something was wrong with the tap. Had a bottle the next week, and it was just as bad as I remembered it. Smells like a dirty diaper wrapped in indian food, tastes even worse.

1.17/5  rDev -69%

I've never had a beer I couldn't finish. Smell and taste are awful.. very over powering..however I still think ballast point is one of the best breweries in the nation in terms of quality

1.18/5  rDev -68.8%

1.22/5  rDev -67.7%

I truly enjoy stouts. That being said, I would recommend finding something else to try. Ordinarily I wouldn't even take the time of day to write a review about any consumer goods. However, I felt that it was my duty as a human being to warn my fellow man about this god awful abomination. DON'T FUCKING BUY THIS BEER. It is without a doubt the worst purchase I have made in regards to an alcoholic beverage. Curry is not a flavor you want in beer. I don't care how much you like Indian food. You would be better off licking the ball sack of a homeless man from Deli. I drank less than 3 Oz. of this brew and am still burping up an awful tasting blend of cinnamon, cumin and curry even as I type this review. WASTE OF MONEY

1.22/5  rDev -67.7%

The curry and cumin completely overpowered the taste of this beer. If you like those flavors this beer is for you. Some things don't go in beer.

1.23/5  rDev -67.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely horrible. Taste like soy sauce and indian spice.

1.29/5  rDev -65.9%

Doopie brought this one out on beer night a few weeks back. Alrighty then...

From a bomber into a snifter
Basically described as an Indian curry in beer form

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, thinner, foamy, light tan head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a full wisp. Clear bistre brown with higher levels of carbonation. A ring and slight wisp remain leaving no real lacing on the glass. Quite light, foamy and carbonated for the style.

SMELL: Nasty. I guess Indian curry is what they wanted, but why in the name of _____ would someone want that? Lots of curry and cumin all over the place. A bit of coconut and chocolate try to fight their way through, but it’s dominated by the Indian spices. Basically liquid curry.

TASTE: What the hell. Whoever thought of this should be fired immediately. Don’t waste any time and start firing. Awful. Lots of curry and cumin spices up front with harsh and hot finish dominated by heat and spices. The horror just doesn’t quit. Again, mass firings should be the only publicized result of this endeavor. This burns and burns hard. We should consider blaming this brew for various ill-advised decisions our world leaders have made and will make concerning the running and administration of our planet, as well as every disastrous consequences of a major military operation since WWI. Even with this, we’re letting Indra off easy.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body and medium levels of carbonation. Half creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn and rake to the back of the throat at the swallow and finishes with piles of spicy heat. Hot and hot just lingers forever. Reminds me of hot curry madness.

OVERALL: *Shrugs shoulders* As if someone would ever do this on purpose. To be sure, I actually like Indian food and can appreciate a touch more heat than your average bear, but this is probably the most exact and accurate representation of “mistake” in physical form on the planet. I can picture the beards sitting around and debating whether they should release this beer or not… “Well, this sucks, but we need to sell it, and since the vast majority of our other beers are pretty awesome, enough people will give us the benefit of the doubt and buy a bottle so we can sell it all, then they’ll try it and hate it, but they won’t give up on us because of the other awesome stuff.” Well, okay, you’re right. You guys are great, but this… the only logical consequence from this is extreme firings. Extreme mass firings.

1.29/5  rDev -65.9%

It is a terrible disaster.

1.32/5  rDev -65.1%