Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,252 |  Reviews: 300

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Too strong on the spice for my taste.

2.77/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

2.87/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev -24.1%

2.89/5  rDev -23.5%

Seems like a finely crafted beer that just my taste buds don't agree with.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of spiced beers, took a sip and ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It does have a complex flavor of spices but it is almost too much to handle when drinking. It felt like I was drinking Indian food. I am sure that was something they were trying to emulate, but it just didn't taste right to me.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

It tastes more like Indian food than beer. It's interesting, but not something you should order/buy if you want beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks like a decent enough stout when I poured it, smells like roasted dark malts, chocolate... and Curry. Lots and lots of curry. When I tasted it, the curry was so overwhelming my brain couldn't process many other flavors. I got chocolate and dark malts up front, but then the curry spice completely took over. Seemed like a lighter body with higher carbonation than an average stout, but the spices in this one were just too much for me. Seems like I was drinking an Indian dish, very strange...

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Hard beer to drink because of how much is going on; not sure if I'd call this a stout, but a very elaborate pale ale. Spices disguise any semblance of lime and coconut, and this is a clear sipper if nothing else.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 into pint drank right before best after 5/13' reviewed from memory

Looks good, like all the stout beers I've had from B.P. Good head from an aggressive poor, burnt red on the rim.

Whoo!! In my face spice and cocoanut, really fun curry and lime brings a whole exotic flavor profile. I'm really diggn this.

Damn. This is pretty nice until my throat catches fire.

Good carb. Slick and creamy. With a little too much heat, IMO.

I really enjoy all the dark offerings I've had the pleasure to enjoy from Ballast, this one not so much. I think I'm just not a spicy/hot beer fan. Atleast not yet.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company