Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,277 |  Reviews: 312
3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle was a gift from a friend moving away dated 12/13/2015. Poured into a pint bottle produced a full dark tan head over a dark brown body. Smell was of an oddly spiced cola aroma, not unpleasant. I'd like to taste this fresh because I think, other than the cayenne, the spices have faded. There's definitely a cayenne burn and I can probably taste the cumin and faded coconut, but I wish it was more distinctive.

It's not bad by any means but probably better fresh

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

A- Pours a chocolate brown with a very nice head and lacing
A-Aroma has abundant curry and cayenne pepper hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a resounding curry and cayenne pepper flavor
M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
O-One of my favorites on this trip to Ballast Point because of the explosion of flavors

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a jet black brown with two fingers of creamy tan head.

Smell - cumin, curry powder, cayenne pepper, roasted malts, coconut, earthy and leafy hops, and earthy yeast.

Taste - Cumin, curry powder, and blast of cayenne upfront followed by the roasted malts, coconut. The hops and earthy yeast round out the brew. A lot of flavour going on here.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes smooth with the spices lingering especially with the fiery cayenne.

Overall - A flavourful and different take on this style by incorporating South Asian spices (cumin, curry, and cayenne). Some may find this combination a little savoury but for me I like the variance from the traditional foreign/extra stout. Worth a go if you are more on the adventurous palate side of the spectrum.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle - lots of relatively exotic stuff apparently made it into this particular offering. Let's see if they stuck around, shall we?

This beer pours a fairly solid black, with subtle red cola basal edges, and four fingers of puffy, rocky, and somewhat bubbly brown head, which leaves absolutely nothing in the way of lace anywhere near the glass as it slowly sinks away. Silly peppers.

It smells of well, Indian curry over coconut Basmati rice (so the cumin and cayenne get kind of short shift, at the moment), bready and doughy caramel malt, bittersweet cocoa powder, faint generic citrus notes, and very little else. The taste is gritty and grainy caramel malt, a touch of free-range ashiness, some zingy cayenne pepper heat, well-mixed curry spice, more bewildered-seeming chocolate notes, sugary coconut flakes, and some plain, indistinct citrus peel.

The carbonation is average in its workaday frothiness, the body a decent medium weight, and sort of smooth, once one becomes acclimatized to that heady curry spiciness, of course. It finishes off-dry, the base stout asserting itself against the lingering, if moderated heat.

Overall - yup, this comes across as if you made a nice Rogan Josh (my preference, is all), and then dumped in a few bombers of dense export stout, to let reduce until just a bit watery. I'm saying this as a good thing, as although I've already had a big dinner, I'm now craving a little bit of takeout from the Little India area near where I live right now.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I got this beer in a clearance sale for $3 - wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I was very hesitant to buy it, with good reason. I do like Indian food though, so I thought it might pair well with some of that. Upon opening it I was met with some unusual smells for a beer. I poured it and experienced a large thin foamy head. I took a sip and knew this wasn't an easy-drinker even though Porters are one of my favorite styles. I couldn't drink much and recapped it until the next day when I could cook some Indian food to go with it.
That day arrived and I had some spicy eggplant with green pepper and red onion, hopefully spicy enough to stand up to it. Well, the beer was still foamy and pretty damn spicy, but drinkable.. DO NOT attempt to drink this without spicy food.
Would I buy another at any price? Hell no.

3.67/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

In tulip at the Danville, VA brewery.

Indra doubled down on the darkness. There’s a pretty good light tan head.

The lime leaves are front and center, but the aromas run the curry gambit; cumin, pepper, and all that other earthy stuff. I think it might even be coconut curry.

Dark chocolate, coconut, lime leaf, cumin, curry powder, vanilla.

Cold, thin, and bubbly stout. Earthy finish redolent with various aftertastes.

I love this stout. Maybe it’s because I love curry and I love stout. They meld well.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, 7% ABV, 50 IBU. Pours thick and black, with a two finger tan head that left no lacing. Nose is curry and other complimenting spices, taste follows plus pepper heat and a moderate bitter close. And something tangy, maybe lime. OK mouthfeel, overall excellent. I've wanted to try this for quite a while since I like curry - and like some curry dishes, it smells better than it tastes.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No idea why this beer gets no love...maybe it is bc I love curry...anways.... deep black body with a fluffy brown head. Aroma is both sweet and spicy, some nuttiness underneath. Flavor is biting, lots of curry spice interplayed with roasted malt. Very unique and dang tasty.

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a stiff burnt dark brown close to black color with an eggshell white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Slight running messy lace slid into the beer.
The aroma had the roast, coffee, and dark chocolate nibs up front and then having a nice involvement of some lime, coconut, paprika, cumin and toast coming in fairly nice.
The flavor revolved around those spices a bit more than the "foreign/export stout" qualities, which didn't bother me. It was just something I noticed. Definitely a spicy grip in the aftertaste along with some roast and lime.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with more of a sipping sort of quality about it due to the spicy grip this beer has on my tongue. IBU's do seem contained enough to allow the spices to take the lead for the harshness. Carbonation felt appropriate. ABV felt as projected by the brewer.
Overall, for the most part, I thought this was solid. But I have to admit, it seemed a bit of a palate wrecker due to those spices. I didn't mind that.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Dark, dark brown pour... nearly black with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Nice ring of lacing.

S: Absolutely fantastic nose... coconut, cream, and lime. Spicy and exotic.

T/F: Surprisingly light in body... too light for the flavors actually. Roasted malts/sugars... mild sweetness and then a fairly spicy burn from the curry and cayenne. Leaves the back of the throat tingling. A bit of lime comes through as well. Finish is spicy and warm. Fairly low ABV. Coconut comes through in the aftertaste.

O: A complex beer... and I absolutely love the aroma. The flavor.... not as much. A bit overboard on the heat, too light/low ABV, and limited in terms of drinkability. Wish I'd had someone to share the bomber with.

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1.87/5  rDev -49%

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well this is a interesting beer. Pours a jet black with a small tan head. Nose is of cumin, paprika and light toasted malt. Taste of curry powder. Yep this one taste like curry, cumin, paprika and lime. The lime could be that I'm imagining it there because of the cumin giving it a sort of tacos like feel idk lol! I knew what I was getting into when I purchased a curry beer I suppose but I know know I'm not the biggest fan of curry beers. Medium body, thinner than expected with a, well, curry finish. Not to hard on the score tho because it was well executed for what it was.

Edit: I just seen it is brewed with kafir lime leaf. Interesting in that I taste lime but I don't think I'm tasting the leaf. Do lime leafs taste like lime? It feels like lime is in there to me because of the cumin/paprika as stated above

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company