Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 291 | Ratings: 1,221
3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Pours a very dark brown/black with a light head.

S - Chilled it smells like a smoked porter. As it warms, the cumin & curry aromas come out nicely. Would be great with Thai or Indian food.

T - Initially it tastes like a spicy smoked porter. The cayenne pepper show up in the finish. As it warms, the curry becomes more aggressive (in a good way). The cumin and cayenne also becomes more noticeable. I'm not a fan of peppery flavors in beer, but this isn't too bad here. My wife and friend can taste the lime leaf, but my taste buds can't find it.

M - Average mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. The cayenne burn lingers around too long for my liking.

O - This is good as a one off beer release. A nice experiment. If it was a regular release, I wouldn't buy it more than once. I'm glad I tried it, and it was interesting and decent, but I wouldn't try it again. Take out the cayenne and this might be a completely different story.

On tap at Tipsy Crow, 11/8/11.

A-Pours a dark brown with a thin mocha head and good sticky lacing.

S-Chocolate malt, nice roast, bittersweet chocolate and a hint of spice.

T-Garam masala spiciness blends nicely with the sweet chocolate. Not for everyone but I love Indian food, so this is perfect.

M-Medium bodied, spices linger.

O-Interesting and different. I can't see ever ordering more than one though.

HV

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Dark black with a milk chocolate head, with plenty of fish eyes.

S: There is a lot going on here. The front is curry and almost gives me a little bit of a taco seasoning thing... odd.. but behind that there is a sweet coconut and chocolate aroma..

T: Man that is weird. Curry up front, with a touch of spiciness, which mellows into dark chocolate, coconut, and roasted grains, followed by a hint of lime. It is certainly interesting, but I don't know if I like it. I enjoy the multitude of different flavors, but am not sure

M: Medium in feel, with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this beer is a misfit. It is certainly interesting, and well made, but I am not sure if the flavor profile is up my alley. It is interesting that this multitude of flavors works together in one brew which is impressive, just not sure if I love it.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It might just be the chef in me but I thought the curry balance was spot in with everything. As a taster this is great, but 12 oz of this would be tough.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with over an inch of khaki head. Almost no lacing. Spicy curry aroma with lots of cumin and coconut. Hint of lime. The taste is lots of Thai green curry flavor. Coconut, curry, and lime blended nicely with some roasted malts and dark chocolate. But make no mistake though, this is mostly curry flavored. Spicy but not really that hot. Light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Good beer that is pretty interesting. Not sure about the 22oz bottle format but oh well. Overall, a good and different beer that I couldn't drink all the time but is definitely worth trying.

3.34/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at O'Brien's. Pint glass.

Pours a near-black brown, thin light tan head with no lacing and not much retention. Smell is lots of curry spice, baker's chocolate, and bitter coffee. Taste is tamarind, turmeric, black pepper, and smoky malt. I'm not picking up any of the supposed coconut in the smell or taste (nor did anyone else in our group). Light bodied and medium-high carbonation, alcohol is not really noticeable. Overall, bonus points for the novel interpretation of the style. This was actually pretty drinkable despite the unusual flavor; although I didn't love it, it's not one of those beers that you can only drink a taste of. I'm intrigued as to the possibilities of food pairings with this.

22oz bomber poured into a Victory snifter. Special thanks to ren for this rare release. Cheers.

A: Pours a really dark black with little hues on edges. Not as thick as I was expecting. About a finger of tight tan bubbles. They fade quickly. Some sticky lacing.

S: Definitely get the cumin and cayenne smells along with the lime. I think the curry I behind that all. It's an extremely complex and inviting smell, if you like those spices that is (which I do).

T: Nice spicy bite on the tip of the tongue. You get the curry smells when you dig your nose in the glass. Lots of heat on the back end as it goes down your throat from the spices. The lime does show up in the mid tongue. This beer gets better with warming up a bit. The lime becomes less pronouced and the curry and other spices so up big.

M: It's actually medium to full bodied stout. Again, not as motor oil thick as I was expecting. Definitely coats the mouth though.

O: I am going to go with a solid B+ on this one. It's certainly DIFFERENT than other stouts out there, but I like where they went with it. Obviously, if you don't like those flavors this one could be offputting to you.

1.34/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark brown color with a 1-finger khaki head. Has tons of floaters swirling around the glass.

The aroma is all cumin with just a touch of coconut. Not horrible, per se, but not something I enjoy smelling in a beer.

Oh god the flavor. There's an incredibly subtle note of sweet coconut up front here, which is good, until getting slapped in the face by a curry and vomit pancake. If I don't swallow, I can taste the lime and cumin a bit, but then my reflexes kick in and I force this disgusting bile down my gullet and get assaulted by cayenne peppers. My throat is burning. Why does this exist?

The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is chalky and dry, with no respite from the fires of hell that are the cayenne peppers.

Overall, I literally hate this beer. None of the flavors work and it's just far too spicy. If I want Indian food, I'll order Indian food. Get that crap out of my beer.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a one-finger tan head
S: You can smell the curry from a mile away. Very unique and enjoyable. A bit of cocoa/wheat but those are very subtle
T: Spicy, mostly curry but also cayenne. Spice steals first, second and third with just a bit of cocoa to round it out. Not a typical stout but unique and not bad at all
M: Medium-bodied, spicy
O: If anything this is a bit too much of a good thing. I love curry but this is nothing but. A bit of beer would make a nice balance. That being said, I really like it and given what it is it's a home run

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

I did not expect to like this very much, but surprisingly enough the flavor combination really worked for me. The sweetness of the coconut nicely balanced out the heat of the cayenne (and curry, to a lesser extent). The cumin and lime didn't come through as much. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I should also mention - I had this at a bar, started by getting a taster and liked it enough to get a 5 oz pour as part of a sampler paddle. Getting through a full 22 oz bomber would no doubt be a challenge by myself.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

A: into a snifter large, dark brown pour yields black body of beer with a finger of tan head

S: dark roasted malt and Indian-style spices

T: like a chile stout, throughout the dark malt's espresso-ish flavors, tons of smoky cumin, stinging cayenne, and curry; hints of sweet coconut and drying lime flavors

M: light and smooth but the stinging nettles of hot cayenne pepper will either delight you or puit you off, depending on your tastes for such things

O: as fas as I'm concerned, this is a chile stout - and I really like that kind of thing, but I also understand that others may not - the cayenne is very dominant, accented with smoke and lime, and underscored by the dark stout malts and their respective flavors.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

On-tap at Ballast Point's Old Grove location. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Aroma is incredible. Lots of very vibrant spices, picking up on cumin, cayenne pepper, also sweet curry and coconut. Excellent blend of spice, coconut/curry sweetness and chocolate.

T- Flavor follows pretty closely, but doesn't maintain the same level of curry and coconut awesomeness, although the cumin, cayenne and curry do come through pretty well. Has some nice chocolate flavor and lingering heat, not overly spicy though.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, mild spicy burn but nothing severe.

O- An absolutely awesome chili/curry stout, I've had chili beers before, but nothing that a) also incorporated curry and coconut and b) did it very well. It was also very drinkable, I polished off an 8 oz pour with no problem at all. This beer is a real treat to drink.

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From bottle into tulip glass. Dark brown in colour with some slight lace.

S - pungent spice, kefir lime, curry spice.

T - coconut, cumin, really rich spice with a growing cayenne kick, some mild roast barley but really it is hard to pick up, it is more like liquid curry.

M - aggressive spiciness to it, maybe balanced a little by the creaminess of the stout and coconut, long lingering aftertaste.

This is probably THE most different and unique beer I have ever had. Truly this a very representative experience of the curry spices contained within this beer. Rich robust aroma and a spicy hearty curried taste, after some of the spice edges off it becomes quite an interesting interplay of the spice, lime and coconut, with the dark malt. Quite a satisfying curry beer. Really strongly flavoured though, getting through 22 oz by myself was a real challenge.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Very dark brown with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Aromas of cumin, curry and lime along with the base stout. I really picked out the lime in the nose. Taste is tons of curry and cumin along with the sweet coconut and stout. Lime is not very detectable on the palate. The cayenne is there, but I did not notice much of it until I was on the second half of the glass and the beer was beginning to warm. Medium feel that had the right amount of carbonation. Interesting and unique beer that is perfect to share and a one and done. Good, but nothing to drink again.

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle to a snifter

A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing.

S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy.

T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there's some chili heat in there as well. There's a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate.

M - Low carbonation, it's thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat.

This screams Indian food. If you don't like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It's a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer.

1.39/5  rDev -63.2%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bomber into 2 snifters, jet black with a moderate head. The aroma is lots of spicey curry. the spiciness of the curry is the dominant flavor, there are also subtle hints of sweetness in the finish. the body is moderate, good carbonation. lad I split it with a friend. One of the more interesting brews I have had, but if you are not a fan of Indian food don't pick this one up, for me the curry was a little too much.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty.

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours rather thin and oily, dark brown with a solid finger and a half of light khaki foam.

Nutmeg, some pepper heat, cinnamon, clove, and subtle vanilla. A little too much spice and peppery heat.

A vanilla and coconut flavor becomes much more pronounced, the mix of spices is still very overpowering though.

Heavy-bodied, medium carbonation, roasty bitterness, spiced and peppery.

Overall, this was an interesting and unique brew to say the least, but seems like a jumbled mess to be honest.

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

Should have read the fine print instead of just assuming this was a hoppy stout.... It's deff really good if you're in the mood for a very present cayane and cumin flavor but if you're not.... Well you won't hate it

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very interesting beer. Love the spices and dig the idea for this brew. Definitely a beer you need to research before buying since its very different than any foreign extra stout I've ever had. Share with a friend also because it's STRONG flavored.

Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ohp -- forgot to review this beer from the other night! On-tap at One Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan. I was given a free pour of this. Thanks a lot for the free poor, Mr. Hudson. Awesome -- who doesn't love free beer?

This was just one hell of an interesting beer... I can see why this is very love it or hate it. Basically, curry. Curry all over the place. You smell it, you taste it. That's that. Curry overload, so you'd better enjoy it. To some, curry smells like B.O. -- I thought it did initially, but quickly got over it and related it to a more desirable thing, like, you know ... food. This beer is flooded in curry with a very modest roasted malt character, surprisingly. The curry is actually pretty overpowering, and it's most definitely the most prominent aroma and flavor. The aftertaste is warming due to the curry, which had me going back for another sip. The feel is middle-of-the-road and quite nice for the style.

Totally bizarre. I knew about this beer but didn't know the specifics, and now I know the specific: CURRY. If you don't like Indian food, don't bother. This is a pretty nice beer, but one that I can see a lot of people not liking at all. For the style/as a beer, I'm not too fond of it just because, if you couldn't guess, I got almost all and only currycurrycurry all the way through. Definitely try this one, but if you have a bomber of it, be prepared to share it.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company