Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 300 | Ratings: 1,247
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bottle into snifter.

A - Pitch black with a tan head that doesn't stick around too long.

S - Light roasted malt, coconut, cumin, herbal spice. It almost has a magic marker smell to it, very interesting.

T - Whoa, the spicy cumin and cayenne immediately hit first, lending a mild burn all the way down. The herbal spice dominants throughout, with coconut and subtle citrus notes becoming more evident on the back end. A light roasted malt backbone thankfully keeps the bold spices in check.

M - Light-medium body, creamy, mild carbonation. Lots of heat initially in the mouth and throat, but eventually settles into a nice warming sensation. Dry finish.

O - I'm so glad I decided to pick this up, as it's very unique and experimental (in a good way). Although the spice profile is huge, it is somewhat balanced by the roast and citrus. Definitely a sipper, and would be interesting to pair this with some sort of Asian cuisine.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy by 01/02/13. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Ballast Point in San Diego and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Served straight from the fridge.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger head of light tan colour, nice cream and thickness, and very good retention, especially considering the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Dark malts, caramel, artificial lime, and earthy spices. An average strength aroma. Appealing albeit strange for the style.

T: Dark malts, earthy notes, caramel, light curry, and a bit of lime. Has a little light heat. Not particularly well balanced, but it's certainly experimental and bold. I get some spiciness in the burp. It's interesting, but far from ideal. Build is strange. No chocolate, yeast, or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, a bit overcarbonated. Too thick for its lack of diverse flavours. Lacks the depth needed to justify such a thick consistency. Fairly good palate presence. A bit creamy - a nice touch.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable for its well-hidden high ABV, but nevertheless disappointing. I expect more from Ballast Point. I doubt I'd get it again, but it's a nice little export stout. The spice is very well handled.

High B-

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Pourer from a 22 oz bottle into an alesmith tulip- pours a pretty dark color, slight ruby around the edge. Barely any head, no retention, no lacing. Has some cumin floating around.

Smell is really interesting- coconut milk is the strongest scent, followed by cumin and then a blend of lime and roasted malt.

Taste is similar but has more spice to it than the nose. Coconut milk and curry up front, superseded by cumin and chile spice, them roasted malts but finishes spicy.

Mouthfeel is good- medium bodied, light to moderate carbonation. This has a decent spice to it but it's well balanced by the smooth coconut. This is definitely worth trying if you can find it. I'd certainly get it again.

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, Calif., on Dec. 27, 2012
Price: $7.99
Misc.: N/A

Poured a pitch black color with just over one finger of tan head that dissipated almost right away. Lots of random spots on the sides of the glass, well below average retention on the top.

Smelled unlike anything I’ve had before. Got crayons, yes, crayons first. Coconut followed, along with butter and curry.

All I can say about the taste is, “wow!” Like the smell, unlike anything I’ve had before. Got the coconut and crayon taste first, then got ripped with curry and a boat load of spices, including a lingering hot one at the end. I don’t know Indian food (besides curry), but there had to be tons of Indian notes. Spicy, spicy.

Full-to-medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish.

This was my first foreign export style beer. Although I don’t like Indian food (to me that was what this beer was all about), this was a very interesting beer and something nice to try.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours nearly pitch black in color and appears very still. A small, mocha colored head quickly fades to a thin ring across the top. Minimal spotted lacing is left behind.

S: A blast of curry up front in the aroma. If you can get past the intensity of the curry, there are hints of spicy peppers, lime citrus and a bit of coconut. But overall, the curry dominates.

T: The taste is much more balanced than the aroma. The curry is still very prevalent, but it tames down and allows the other flavors to come though. Similarly as before, these flavors contain cayenne, lime, and coconut.

M: Medium bodied with a still feel. The intense spices in the taste coat the palate and leave a lingering spicy taste.

O: I enjoy experimentation and unique spins on styles as much as the next person, but this was a little too much for me. The dominance of the curry made this one difficult to enjoy, though I was really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll try it again, but I commend Ballast Point for trying something new and unique.

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

A: Your typical black/brown stout appearance. Decent head, lacing is good.

S: Smells like a mix between a chipotle burrito and a chocolate bar. This should be interesting.

T: Weird flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, spicy curry. Somehow, it works ok. I wouldn't drink this fast, however. Nor would I drink this with any spicy food.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Burns the tongue a little.

O: I can sum up this beer in a single word: bizarre.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

With all the different spices used to make this brew what did I smell, oak barrels.
Only latter as it warmed did i pick up other aromatics. The most aromatic was coconut.
Next would be curry paste.
A light black or ruby brown color with a fast fading head.
Taste is spicy. With coconut and curry and hot cayenne.
I think the stout beer itself is a bit lost amongst the spices.
Drinks smooth and hot.
The best part was the aroma, quite fragrant.
This is a fun beer with a lot of things going on but I think it's too spicy in that it's not balanced well. If the spices were more in line with the stout malts so they each complimented each other, bam!, you got a winner.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Jet black with a beautiful khaki tan head, some sediment fallen and collected at the bottom of my glass, a water goblet. The nose was molasses and booze, with an extra unexpected scent, a smell of sweet coconut curry. I loved the taste of this! Vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and sweet coconut curry immediately followed by a spicy chile burn at the back of the palate that lingers through the finish. As the beer warmed the flavors became even more intense and accessible. The chile spice gave me a bit of heartburn to be honest. The mouthfeel was very pleasing, well carbonated with a medium thick mouthfeel that coated the palate without being oily. I highly recommend this to every craft beer lover as this is a truly unique brew, and done well.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

3.78/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Drop Off Service, New York, NY

A: The beer is very dark red (near black) in color. It poured with a thin tan head that faded away and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of toasted coconuts in the nose along with notes of spices.
T: The initial taste has flavors of coconuts, but these are quickly followed by an interesting mix of spicy flavors—cumin seems to stand out in particular and cayenne pepper loners through the finish. The spices are strong but not overdone.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The spices make the finish a little dry.
O: This beer is quite unique and is quite spicy. It's not the easiest beer to drink but is probably as drinkable as you could get for a spiced beer.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: 4.0 dark and little head
S: 4.5 smells like an Indian restaurant with limes on the back end.
T: 4.5 cumin upfront and then followed immediately by coconut and then the cayenne pepper and limes on the back end of it.
MF:4.0 lower on carbonation but great body
O:  5.0 for uniqueness. Really interesting beer and I have never tasted anything like it. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

A - black with a short-lived, off white head

S - curry, cumin

T - curry, cumin, lime, faint toasted coconut, light cayenne bite in the finish, light acidity

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

A+ for uniqueness. Overall A. Really a solid beer with a tremendous flavor profile. This isn't a beer I could drink a lot of due to fatigue, but it is very enjoyable in small (bomber sized) quantites. This is very well balanced and very drinkable. This would be great with a meal or as a meal. You should definitely check it out.

4.69/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured on tap at full pour into a snifter glass at Churchkey.

A tan head is presented, with quite a bit of lacing while consuming, always leaves a good collar. Simple dark walnut brown/black body, quite opaque, pretty solid looking brew.

Nose is one giant wow, this is curry in a glass. It's all there, the milky coconut milk like cream, hints of curry powder and pepper. Lots of cumin! There is no sense of serious booming heat here either it's all nicely balanced like a good dish, it is truly mouthwatering!

Palate is all that and a bag of chips. Giant curry bomb with a classic powder angle with malt wetness to carry it. Under control. Milk stout like body though it's the only thing I can maybe fault if I want to split hairs, with a great coconut sweetness finish. Mild carbonation with good pepper powder action.

In one word, just flat up awesome. This is the kind of craft that really impresses me, just needs some cardamom or garam masala and we are taking this to the next level baby!

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance – Pours a super dark black color with notes of red on the edges and noticeable carbonation. Has a nice head, very good lacing, and some sediment.

Smell – Coconut curry. If there’s other scents there, they are dominated by the curry. Nice, although not very "beer" like.

Taste – Curry, malt, a peppery spice, and a hint of lime. Taste a lot like a curry dish.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation, medium body, a fair amount of a hot spice that lingers in the aftertaste.

Drinkability – This might have a touch too much spice to be highly drinkable. I’m not sure whether curry belongs in beer, but I think this is about as good as it can be done.

3.74/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot.

4.73/5  rDev +25.1%

A-black with a decent dark tan head that thins quickly

S-roasted coffee and definitely some indian smelling spices, the kinds i expect to smell in an Indian restaurant. seriously smells a bit like curry. i've never smelled a beer like this. its odd.

T-wow this is odd! this comes in with an extremely evident flavor of coconut curry. wow i can't believe this. the cocoa is minimal. then comes in a fairly heavy heat of indian peppers. its awesome. this is awesome. wow. the spice really has a kick that stays.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is just an awesome beer. i've never, ever had anything like this. i was expecting some sort of weird dogfish headesque concoction that is weird and okay, but doesn't quite flow right. but this flows right, very right. its so yummy! its something i can drink all night, i'll actually be craving this when its gone, i know so. the spice hits so well.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company