Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 294 | Ratings: 1,234
4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: 4.0 dark and little head
S: 4.5 smells like an Indian restaurant with limes on the back end.
T: 4.5 cumin upfront and then followed immediately by coconut and then the cayenne pepper and limes on the back end of it.
MF:4.0 lower on carbonation but great body
O:  5.0 for uniqueness. Really interesting beer and I have never tasted anything like it. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different

4.51/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a deep black color whit a medium head. The aroma presents bubblegum, lemongrass, cumin, as well as lots of floral and perfumey smells I cannot quite identify. The flavor also starts with bubblegum as well as banana laffy taffy, cumin, cardamom, greeen curry spices, and again some off floral notes. The mouthfeel is fairly thin and bright. Overall this is a beer that is a crazy as advertised, unique in flavor profile, it offers things no other beer has for me.

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Unique beer with a hell of a lot of spice flavor. Reminds me that I need to make curry with coconut milk again. A bit overwhelming in flavor near the end but the spices make me feel so good, I can't stop.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - nice dark brown opaque beer with a mocha head that dissipates pretty quickly but leaves okay lacing
S - curry, cumin, black pepper, creamy coconut, little bit of roasted malt in there, little smokiness
T - curry, black pepper, umami, definitely some creamy coconut in there, spicy
M - for a 7% stout this has a heavy, complex mouthfeel, alcohol is completely covered, aftertaste is spicy curry
O - This beer is a million times better than drinking another boring 7% stout/porter, it's very complex, and for me puts itself in a realm of beers that are 10-12% abv. I don't know if i'd necessarily buy it again, but it's good.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is so bizarre. I absolutely love it. Indian spices mostly overwhelm the smell and flavor. It's simple: if you like Indian food and you like stouts, you will almost certainly like this. If this beer sounds gross to you, save your money, it's probably not going to change your mind.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I LOVE Indian food. This is aVERY underrated beer from an Indian food lover perspective. Bring that dish level 10 spicy ALL DAY...with this to pair it.

4.49/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

4.46/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Didn't know what to expect from this. Can't even begin to explain the smell and taste of this beer but I loved it. This is so unique. My only complaint is how hot this was at first but as I got near the end my palate adjusted to the heat and really enjoyed this. Such a strange but wonderful brew. Would drink again. This is very underrated in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What an amzingly balanced beer. So many interesting flavors in my mouth. Huge notes of curry and spices finishing with a magical waterfall of coconut. A great beer to share with friends after a nice meal. I'd love to meet the guy who came up with this recipe.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

I don't care if you don't like curry, you have to admit this beer is brilliantly made! horrifically underrated here on BA. this pours a radiant inky black color, unsuspicious, and boasting an inch or so of lacy mocha head. the nose is just insane, like dank takeout indian food. there is all of the elements, curry powder, cumin, which is very strong, kaffir lime leaf, which is almost refreshing amidst all the dark roast, and coconut, to sweeten things up. there is also the cayenne, if you take a really hard sniff, it almost burns the nostrils, true to form. the taste is every bit as good as the nose, like exceptional takeout food. the curry is strong, the cumin is fresh, the chili is just in the finish, and the coconut and lime leaf cut through some of the other heavy flavors. I can only imagine how many times they made this beer wrong or out of proportion before they got it right. it certainly is dialed now, seriously fantastic. the mix of flavors here is like nothing I would have ever expected in a beer. I have to say, a whole bottle would have been too much, and im not sure im in a hurry to find this again, but what a wonderful treat to get to try such a creative and artfully crafted bottle of beer. this is really something special, and it puts the countless spiced beers to shame. you wont believe this beer until you taste it!

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An obviously polarizing brew, but if you're a bit of a foodie, or if you otherwise enjoy pungent spices and heat, this is your brew. For me, it's brilliant, but buyer beware indeed.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Small Bar, poured into pint glass

A: Black, opaque, dark brown head. Small patches of lacing stick to the glass.

S: Good lord, what a unique nose. Complete spice overload. Cumin and chili prominent, the brew gives off notes of licorice and curry and about half of your spice rack.

T: The curry plays a much bigger role than I the nose, and the brew gives off a lot of heat, but in balance. Cumin, paprika, nutmeg bounce around. Subtle notes of vanilla and unsweetened chocolate fall out, and a touch of hop astringency. Amazingly, everything works.

M: Medium comexioun, slightly creamy.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow....all I can say is wow. I'm rating this beer for brewer intentions.....not personal taste. The beer poured an opaque black with ecru head that did not leave much lace. The scent was a cacaphony of spices...cumin, pepper and other stuff. The taste was spicy and reminded me of masala. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's definitely worth a try. It's on par with the rogue siracha.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4-11-16 - On tap at the Ballast Point Tasting Room in the Little Italy section of San Diego. 8 oz. pour into a tall tulip glass. Spectacular cumin and curry aromas! Dark brown color with no head. No residue cling. Clean fresh mouthfeel. Cayenne pepper spice is just the right amount. Very interesting "curry stout". Glad I had this one.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As other people have mentioned, this beer is exactly what it says it is and amazing. I have a case of it at my house. Substantial and drinkable, reads as a stout upfront and then you get the pepper and cumin spice in your mouth, finishes off nicely with lime. Very delicious on its own, even better with some spicy food. Try it!

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind...

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing.

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stoked to try this!

Served in a Port City snifter.

A: Poured black as night and with no head whatsoever. Lots of particles floating around in the beer though. Curious.

S: Holy crap this is a curry bomb! Along with the cumin, coconut, and Kaffir lime, to say this is "India-style" is an understatement.

T: Not for all tastes, for sure. If you hate these spices, this won't be your thing. It's amazing that you can taste each and every one of these spices. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

M: Just enough carbonation to be dangerous, and I really dug the milkiness added by the coconut. That especially rounded out the finish... while the cumin burns the back of your throat!

O: Come one peeps, you know you love this beer! The most unique brew of 2013 so far. I'd have it again.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aromas of malty curry. Absolutely no other way to describe that! Vanilla curry that melts into a roasted oatiness. Moderate hops that are relatively low bitterness. Finish is thick with a mild coffee aftertaste. The curry is strong in this one and lives up to my expectations.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It might just be the chef in me but I thought the curry balance was spot in with everything. As a taster this is great, but 12 oz of this would be tough.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company