Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,254 |  Reviews: 302
1.34/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark brown color with a 1-finger khaki head. Has tons of floaters swirling around the glass.

The aroma is all cumin with just a touch of coconut. Not horrible, per se, but not something I enjoy smelling in a beer.

Oh god the flavor. There's an incredibly subtle note of sweet coconut up front here, which is good, until getting slapped in the face by a curry and vomit pancake. If I don't swallow, I can taste the lime and cumin a bit, but then my reflexes kick in and I force this disgusting bile down my gullet and get assaulted by cayenne peppers. My throat is burning. Why does this exist?

The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is chalky and dry, with no respite from the fires of hell that are the cayenne peppers.

Overall, I literally hate this beer. None of the flavors work and it's just far too spicy. If I want Indian food, I'll order Indian food.

1.36/5  rDev -64%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

1.39/5  rDev -63.2%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

1.39/5  rDev -63.2%

As a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts I had to give this a try.
VERY strong on the curry...I am not a fan of curry.
This tasted like Gandi took a dump in an Old Rasputin.
Unless you really like Indian food and the spices used in it then stay away from this poison.

1.42/5  rDev -62.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.52/5  rDev -59.8%

1.65/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.7/5  rDev -55%

1.73/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Hated the taste. The spice was overbearing. I expected a much smoother finish.

1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

There aren’t many things I regret in this life, but tasting this beer is one of them. Too overpowering and the aftertaste stays with you FOR-EV-ER!!! Tried chasing it down with some high quality H2O, but no luck. F- grade beer. Let's never speak of this beer again.

Execution - 5.
Drink ability - 1.

Tastes like a curry in a glass but it's impossible to actually drink. Might be worth cooking with...

1.78/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

1.81/5  rDev -52.1%

As someone recently returning from a trip to Mumbai, I was definitely intrigued by this brew and not one afraid of Indian spices. The concept of this beer is actually quite brilliant, but the execution falls horribly short.

On the first sip the kaffir lime is extremely overwhelming and remains so throughout. Cayenne is the second flavor present. I want to stop there for a second... in cuisine, it these two flavors are leading the pack in a dish, would you eat it? Cumin arrives third on the palette, but the sourness and spice of the lime have already ruined the party by that point.

Because of the above, this beer is literally unpalatable. At around ten bucks, that hurts more than your typical new brew gone bad.

If they ever do it again, I hope they ditch the lime, the cayenne, and stick to more classical indian spices like coriander, cumin, and clove (especially clove... really really missing in this brew). There was also no sweetness to offset the bitterness of the lime and the heat of the cayenne... if they searched for a more umami flavor from by bringing in cinnamon and maybe cardamom this beer could have really worked.

I like this idea of a masala spiced beer, but this one is not it. Ballast Point, usually a huge fan but you owe me a Seamonster after this one...

1.84/5  rDev -51.3%

1.9/5  rDev -49.7%

1.98/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company