Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 298 | Ratings: 1,244
2.64/5  rDev -30.2%

Aroma is complex Indian spices and Jasmin/cumin. The flavor is complex Indian spices, dark malts, fruit and a mix of acidity and spicy heat in the finish.

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of spiced beers, took a sip and ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It does have a complex flavor of spices but it is almost too much to handle when drinking. It felt like I was drinking Indian food. I am sure that was something they were trying to emulate, but it just didn't taste right to me.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks like a decent enough stout when I poured it, smells like roasted dark malts, chocolate... and Curry. Lots and lots of curry. When I tasted it, the curry was so overwhelming my brain couldn't process many other flavors. I got chocolate and dark malts up front, but then the curry spice completely took over. Seemed like a lighter body with higher carbonation than an average stout, but the spices in this one were just too much for me. Seems like I was drinking an Indian dish, very strange...

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Hard beer to drink because of how much is going on; not sure if I'd call this a stout, but a very elaborate pale ale. Spices disguise any semblance of lime and coconut, and this is a clear sipper if nothing else.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 into pint drank right before best after 5/13' reviewed from memory

Looks good, like all the stout beers I've had from B.P. Good head from an aggressive poor, burnt red on the rim.

Whoo!! In my face spice and cocoanut, really fun curry and lime brings a whole exotic flavor profile. I'm really diggn this.

Damn. This is pretty nice until my throat catches fire.

Good carb. Slick and creamy. With a little too much heat, IMO.

I really enjoy all the dark offerings I've had the pleasure to enjoy from Ballast, this one not so much. I think I'm just not a spicy/hot beer fan. Atleast not yet.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, I guess this was interesting. Like drinking a bottle of curry mixed with stout. I mean, this clearly wasn't made for beer drinkers but for people who are just generally adventurous with their palates. Go ahead and try it, it's definitely different, but I hesitate to even call it beer and if you're a beer drinker looking for a delicious beer, this ain't it.

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it!

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well well well, what have we here, a cuppahataz? When I read about this beer, I was like, "pfft, fuckin' spice racks, am I right? This was kinda the beginning of Ballast Point's "hey let's do a bunch of beers with adjunct shit thrown in.

Pours dark mohagany reddish brown/dark brown. Lighter colored 1/3" tan head on the top. Aroma is deep roast, curry, spice rack and other accoutrements like its a dogfish head beer.

Taste is all over the place, roasted malt, lime, curry, spice rack. I don't get any coconut. Spicy mouth feel. This is just straight up throw a bunch of shit together and see what happens kind of beer. Its novelty wears thin after a few drinks. A decent beer to share among 10 people, but hell no do I want to drink all of this by myself.

I mean its not terrible, just something I only want 3oz of at a time maybe.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours nearly pitch black in color and appears very still. A small, mocha colored head quickly fades to a thin ring across the top. Minimal spotted lacing is left behind.

S: A blast of curry up front in the aroma. If you can get past the intensity of the curry, there are hints of spicy peppers, lime citrus and a bit of coconut. But overall, the curry dominates.

T: The taste is much more balanced than the aroma. The curry is still very prevalent, but it tames down and allows the other flavors to come though. Similarly as before, these flavors contain cayenne, lime, and coconut.

M: Medium bodied with a still feel. The intense spices in the taste coat the palate and leave a lingering spicy taste.

O: I enjoy experimentation and unique spins on styles as much as the next person, but this was a little too much for me. The dominance of the curry made this one difficult to enjoy, though I was really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll try it again, but I commend Ballast Point for trying something new and unique.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

From 12/18/11 notes. This one was sent to me from Nuggamooch and shared with some friends. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coconut, cumin, spices, roasted malts, and toasted malts. Some light chocolate as well. Very odd mix; doesn't really do it for me.

t - Tastes strongly of curry, coconut, lime, spices, cumin, pepper, roasted malts, toasted malts, and cream. Takes like taco cookies.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a very interesting stout. Wasn't necessarily bad, but a very weird and interesting mix that didn't do it for me. Some people really liked it as it tastes a lot like Thai style Coconut Curry, but that isn't what I really would want in a beer, and I think we all found it tough to drink 5 oz.'s. Not something I'd seek out again.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours very dark with a thick caramel head. Smells are curry, coconut and lots of other spices. Taste was very disappointing, they are trying to do too much and the curry overpowers everything. Very strong aftertaste. Overall not what I would expect from Ballast Point, they are usually one of my go to brewers.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed.

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 2" head that slowly falls.

Smell: roasted malts and a strong curry aroma rises from the glass.

Taste: roasted malts, cumin, cayenne, and a load of curry flavor. The spices are a bit overpowering here as a late bite really hits the throat hard. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Light crispness at the start, smooth and dry with a strong spicy kick at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: this beer was a bit too spicy and the curry and cayenne is too up front here. A small glass is all you can have in a single session.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

3.29/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Pours with a nice billowing head. Beer certainly doesn't mislead you. Aroma is packed with cumin, jasmine, and curry with a undernote of curry. If I had some tandoori chicken in front of me instead of the beer I might not know the difference. Maybe a tad heavy on the spice but that is preference.

Taste follows suit, and I really enjoy the jasmine and coconut flavors on the front palate. There is some spice and cumin but it is pretty balanced imo. That said, it ends with a huge pepper kick that is just too much for me. Really disappointed they packed so much heat at the end cause upfront it plays nicely with some delicate flavors. Still, a truly unique beer everyone should try once.

3.33/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

3.34/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

A: Your typical black/brown stout appearance. Decent head, lacing is good.

S: Smells like a mix between a chipotle burrito and a chocolate bar. This should be interesting.

T: Weird flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, spicy curry. Somehow, it works ok. I wouldn't drink this fast, however. Nor would I drink this with any spicy food.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Burns the tongue a little.

O: I can sum up this beer in a single word: bizarre.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company