Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 298 | Ratings: 1,244
3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Beers of California

#68

Best By Date: 10/5/13

A: Typical stout darkness, somewhat thin appraring, with a minimal head of khaki foam which leaves behind a sliver of bubbles on the rim.

S: Strong spice initially. The usual stout characteristics of cocoa and brown sugar are in the back along with the cumin, cayenne and lime.

T: The palate, although foreign, attempts to strike a balance between the spice and stout sweetness. Again the initial onslaught is the Madras intertwining with muted elements of dark sugar, espresso, cocount and cocoa. The cayenne and cumin build mid-palate extending into the finish adding complexity to the bitter spice finish. The lime is there, giving a citrus twang which juxtaposes the spice nicely.

M: Medium feel, slightly on the thin side, and smooth with little carbonation.

O: Originally purchased as an exercise for the palate, Indra is a unique and welcomed departure from the classic stout style. I enjoyed the spice charachteristics which add depth and complexity but ultimately wanted more balance with the inherent dark sweetness of the stout style and stronger coconut presence.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. A new bomber to me from Ballast Point, listed here as a Foreign / Export Stout.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a silky obsidian black, nearly opaque with some hues of red showing when held to the light. A finger of khaki head that thins to a fat ring. Appears well built and well carbonated.

S - The aroma is strange. I've never eaten curry, but you can definitely smell it in abundance in this one. Well done, Ballast Point, because this thing literally smells like madras curry. There are a bit of unpleasant armpit notes and cayenne pepper spice is very noticeable. Not really getting any of the coconut or kaffir lime leaf, but I don't doubt that they're in there. Chocolate malt roast is buried underneath.

T - The taste is very unique: lots of roasty chocolate malts, and lots of curry / cayenne pepper spice linger long and hot on the palate. It's a slow burning type of heat, and it is almost a bit much at times.

M - The feel is smooth, silky, & creamy, but the linger and mounting heat from the cayenne could stand to be toned down a bit. I guess they achieved what they were going for, which is good.

Overall, I'm glad to have tried it, but it's not something I'd want again. Lovers of chile beers will more than likely enjoy this one. Well-made, and recommended to those who are fans of hot stouts.

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra -----3.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a thin beige head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very strong spices, some roasted malts and some coffee, but pretty much all minty, peppery, herbal spices.

T: The taste starts out sweet with a quick burst of coffee and some chocolate that initially leads you to think that the spice might not be quite as strong as you smelled. No sooner you finish that thought… here it comes… an onslaught of peppery, herbal, minty spices, even some heat (Is that curry?). As dominant as the spices are, the coffee, chocolate and lactose flavors keep flashing in. The malt character is hearty and the hops presence is mild but I don’t think there’s enough malt or hops available to balance the spices in this beer. The after-taste is (yeah, you guessed it) very spicy and slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is very sticky.

O: I’ll give credit for the beer being flavorful and quite complex, does not go down easily, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, it’s a very uniquely intense beer overall.

On-tap at Bruery Provisions

A: The beer pours almost black in color with a dense tan head.

S: Smells like perfume and curry. Lots of cumin with a bit of smoke. A very light fruitiness from the lime, which is sort of weird. Almost chalky.

T: A very slight coconut sweetness up front followed by the lime leaves. There is a definite curry flavor and a strong flavor of cumin. Quite a bit of roast, a little bit of dark chocolate, too.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Kind of a funky beer/idea. Decent execution of it.

22oz bottle, 7% beer, not 9%

Poured into Duvel Tulip, near black with brown head, decent retention. Smell is heavy on the cumin, and cayenne, can't really get past the spices on the aroma. Medium to Light-Medium body, decent carbonation. Taste is cumin, cayenne, curry spices, burnt dark chocolate, peppery. I don't get any coconut, but a tad bit of the lemongrass. There is definately some spicyness here. Would not be able to drink a lot of it, but it is a fun brew.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very interesting beer. Love the spices and dig the idea for this brew. Definitely a beer you need to research before buying since its very different than any foreign extra stout I've ever had. Share with a friend also because it's STRONG flavored.

Cheers!

3.59/5  rDev -5%

FIrst of all, whether or not you like curry is going to either make or break this beer. Probably not going to be too many "gray area" people on this. You either like curry and coconut and will probably like this beer or not. I do like curry so this beer went over better with me than with some people. Pours dark, looks nice. Taste is lots of curry, lots of cayanne heat, and some silkiness from the coconut. Not really anything traditionally recognizable as beer flavored. Interesting and unique.

3.59/5  rDev -5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours almost pitch black, with cola colored head, almost non existent/low carb smoothness.

S: Instantly, curry. Upon further inspection, definitely cumin, coconut, and hint of the kaffir..but curry is the dominant note. I couldn't smell the chocolate.

T: Taste is way more balanced. I was expecting a wash of curry, instead got a spicy, even flavor with hints of curry. The dominant taste was definitely the chili powder, followed by the curry, and once it warms up a bit...almost overly sweet coconut. The chocolate doesnt hit until the very end, and I prefer the end notes to the initial sip.

M: Light bodied, but seems to almost thicken to a medium or heavy feel as it warms. Strange. The chili was just enough kick and actually had me sweating a bit, but was a pleasant warmth, not at all uncomfortable or sinus clearing.

O: The was definitely a surprise, a pleasant one. Keep an open mind...and dont watch reviews...I was TERRIFIED before cracking it. I would definitely buy/drink this again, and would especially if I found it on tap. Would have prefered less coconut sweetness, but it isnt offensive. Of all notes, I was surprised that I LOVED the chili kick (generally not a spicy/hot fan)Keep in mind this is a sipping beer, and not at all sessionable. I wouldve prefered it in a regular 12oz, as the bomber was too much between the boyf and I. Couldnt finish it.

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a bit of brown towards the head when held to the light... Little to no head after a regular pour, the head appears to be tannish, little to no lacing....

S: an interesting aroma, I get a ton of curry spice blended with cayenne along with a bit of lime, smells like a sweaty Indian guy, fresh out of the kitchen after cooking up some deliciousness in the tandor oven. I picked up on a strong whiff of coconut goodness when I opened the bottle however this seems to be lost now that its in my glass. I really don't get a lot of the typical stout aromas either... Mainly just the spice.

T: taste follows closely with the aroma, almost to a T, up front I get a light touch of chocolate then going into the curry spice and lime leaf, with the cayenne coming in strong on the finish, bringing a bit of heat to this, this is like liquid Indian food, very interesting. I do not mind the flavor, but a whole bomber may be a bit of a chore for one person.

M: medium heavy body with low/moderate carbonation... Not a bad mouthfeel. Dry w/ some cayenne heat on the finish.

O: this is a strange and interesting brew, a bit heavy on the lime for my tastes, and deffinatly heavy on the spice, like unsaid before, reminds me of a sweaty Indian guy. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself hurrying to pick up another.

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark color with a tan head.
S - toasted and dark chocolate with lots of spice
T - Coconut with lots of curry and cayenne.
M - Medium body
O - Like curry and spice you will enjoy it. It certain to be unique.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger of tan head that quickly fades. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Curry, a hint of lime, coconut, cumin.

Taste: Malty, cumin, cayenne, curry, coconut milk (more of a textural sensation than taste), and the subtlist hint of lime and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, slightly creamy/milky.

Overall: A very unique beer. I don't think I could drink a bottle solo, but a wonderful experience. Followed it up with homemade indian food. A perfect pairing.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured into a nonic pint glass to a deep black with a finger of rocky tan head that fades to a small collar around the glass
S: smells of cumin, cayenne pepper and curry
T: coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, a bit of roast malt displaying some coffee and chocolate. swallow brings more coconut, coffee, lime leaf? and a bit of heat
M: somewhat heavy with slightly prickly carbonation
O: one of the more interesting beers I've drank. Definitely not sure what to expect and I'm not sure if I like the outcome. I wouldn't call it a drain pour candidate but I don't think I'll be buying another one. Spices seem to dominate the malt bill and I'm not sure if I'm feeling carbonation or my tongue starting to burn. Not bad at all though. If you're looking for an interesting beer that's kinda DFH like in oddity then this one is right up your alley. the coconut is nice but a bit of subtlety from the spice would have been lovely instead of it being so in your face.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weirdest beer I've had yet. Glad I tried it once. Don't know if i can finish the bomber. I do wish i would have split it with a couple of other adventurous peeps.An experience for sure. My tummy hurts...No regrats.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Very dark brown with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Aromas of cumin, curry and lime along with the base stout. I really picked out the lime in the nose. Taste is tons of curry and cumin along with the sweet coconut and stout. Lime is not very detectable on the palate. The cayenne is there, but I did not notice much of it until I was on the second half of the glass and the beer was beginning to warm. Medium feel that had the right amount of carbonation. Interesting and unique beer that is perfect to share and a one and done. Good, but nothing to drink again.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really don't know what to think of this beer. It's so different to the point of I'm more intrigued by what's in it than how to enjoy it. It's almost not a beer. I definitely should of had this with a certain type of food to bring out the taste for. In conclusion, it's not a beer for everyone but worth tasting due to the challenge it presents on the palate.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark black pour with a fleeting, fizzy half finger of head. No retention and no lace.

Nose is lime and coconut, with dark peat malt underneath. There is a bit of aged beef in there too.

Flavor is very spicy. I get the coconut initially up front and lingering in the finish. In the middle, though, there is some intense pepper and spice. The curry and cayenne really do a number here. If you don't like heat, then stay away. I'm a spicy food guy, but this one burns on the way down. The heat pretty much swallows up any stout flavor that might exist here.

Body is a bit on the thin side, but not overly so. Fairly easy drinker in that regard.

Overall, worth a shot but wish this came in a 12oz instead.

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Brewery - Linda Vista
8oz pour into a BP Tulip glass – 06/26/2015

A: The pour is a dark ruddy brown that consists of a near black core with some russet color taking effect towards the edges. A dense lather of oatmeal colored cream forms over top with some good longevity. Very creamy only leaving behind a few small curvy lines of lace behind.

S: The nose reveals up front dark roast malts, cocoa, toasted coconut and lightly charred grains with some brown sugar/molasses type sweetness. Quickly shifts into the add-in spice mixture which comes together like taco seasonings if you will. Picking up lots of Cumin influence here with a bit of that warming Cayenne pepper spice. There is definitely a lot going on and especially as the brew warms up but am still on the fence with it. Not really getting the lime here either.

T: Flavors are definitely heavy handed with the spices as others have noted. It’s a bit overwhelming at times and again getting the Cumin most dominantly which sets the pace for more of a Taco style mix rather than Curry per say. The base stout seems pleasant enough with a good dose of blackened grains there, molasses and umami notes, and a bit of chalky cocoa powder. There are some fruity elements to this but not exactly stand out with the lime or coconut. They seem to get lost in the sauce if you will. Has a good moderate amount of earthy hop bitterness hitting midway as it rolls into a spicy warm chili pepper finish. Cayenne lingers a bit in the aftertaste and offers up a smoky quality. Again quite a bit going on here albeit fairly well executed in the end.

M: The body is semi full and moderately thick with an upper moderate amount of prickly carbonation on the tongue. There is a bit of chalkiness to the feel and some bitterness towards the finish. Warm and lingering with all the spices.

D: This brew is a fun experiment to try out but can be somewhat polarizing with the heavy spice additions. I really don’t get the love for this one. Just not something I could drink much of in one sitting.

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Strange beer. Ordered at Peppercorns on a whim. As a stout it had a pretty lightweight texture and mouthfeel. But speaking of mouth, this beer has some heat. Peppers, Cumin, Curried heat mixed up with Coconut,Mango sweetness, Not a great beer, not a bad beer.....tastes like it said..an Indian meal, but hard to imagine without trying

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black in color without much head retention. Aroma of roasted malts, curry, and faint lime. The flavor brings out the same as the aroma, with the addition of cayenne, which gives it a light warmth but nothing very notable.

All in all, the label states: Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut & Lime. This was a nice beer, but I would be racing out to buy it again if only it had about 200% more of these flavors present.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company