Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 1,265 |  Reviews: 306

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.19/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I came into this with an open mind, intrigued by the concept. I love curry, whether cooking simple carrots or sharing a large round table full of vibrant dishes with others.

However, if this is any indication, curry does not belong in beer. It clashes with Indian food, and kills anything else you eat with it. It's just downright offputting in a beer. Describing the actual aspects of it is pointless, as the label says it all.

3.44/5  rDev -6.3%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy.

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

Damn, that's just not right...

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.23/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Notes from San Diego trip.

A- Black body with a light, creamy mocha-tan head. Retention and size are both decent. A few spots of lace down the glass.

S- Very unique. Huge coconut, lime zest and earthy feel atop a roasty stout body. Curry and cumin as well as the roast malt, cocoa.

T- Crazy beer. A meld of big coconut, a ton of lime zest, curry and cayenne up front. Hugely earthy flavors. Cumin kicks in with warmth and the coconut starts to fade.

MF- Silky, creamy moderately thick body that is somewhat oily. Slightly hot from cayenne with some roast bitterness.

A meal beer, between the spices and roast flavors it is more like food. Fresh spice flavors are very nice. Lime cocoa interplay is cool. A beer that is surely love and hate between different people.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company