Indra Kunindra | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 293 | Ratings: 1,231
4.12/5  rDev +9%

Reviewed from notes. Appearance is a dark opaque brown, not quite black. Brown head forms and retains nicely. The smell is incredibly unique: lots of curry and lime come through up front with some coconut and spice to follow. The state is more spice forward and starts with some ancho chili followed by a dark chocolate quality. The finish features a touch of licorice. Quite the journey of flavored here. The body is on the thin side with medium carbonation. This was an ambitious project by Ballast Point and I think they did a good job at bringing together so many odd flavor in a brew. This would pair nicely with Pad Thai.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Near black in color with a wispy, thin light brown head. Spots of lacing left down the glass.

One of the more interesting noses on a beer, period. The initial blast of authentic curry is surprising yet welcome, and it pairs well with sweet and earthy coconut and vanilla aromatics. There's a bit of traditional roast elements throughout, as well.

The flavors are evolving and changing, both in the glass as the beer warms, and simply throughout the sip and swallow. The curry is ever-present, though the coconut and vanilla, with a hint of citrus, make themselves more and more accessible as the beer warms. There's also a lingering, spicy heat that stays for a while in the back of the throat. Interesting and delicious.

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation.

After sampling this beer a couple times from the tap, and then eventually out of the bottle, it easily became one of my favorite new releases of 2011. That being said, I would always want help from a few friends when opening a 22oz. bottle.

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Milky black, which is to say that it's opaque. Just a small ring of foam. I guess it doesn't want to sit too well in a pint glass. Even the ring eventually disappears. Looks like flat cola now.

Holy shit. That's a hell of a nose. Let me give this a shot. Other than the fact that it smells like a sweet chicken curry dish, I'm gonna try to break it down. First off... okay, I'm just going to name what comes to mind in descending order. Cumin, lemongrass, lime, coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coriander, dark roasty malts, chocolate, nutmeg, and a savory staleness to finish it off. No hops, just a dull earthiness. Over-the-top umami. Love the Kaffir lime addition. Totally unreal nose. One of the most impressive noses on a beer that I've ever experienced. Do you think they nailed it???

First sip... ... ...

I'm a little speechless...

Taste follows the nose, but with the heat added. Curry powder, hot chili powder, cumin, sweet lime, vanilla, cinnamon, lemongrass, coconut water, chocolate mole, minerally roast grain, nutmeg and mulling spices, dried banana, musty earthiness, and cayenne pepper. Looking for a complex beer? Ha! This one is ree-dic. A nice level 6 or 7 spice, according to a cook at a Thai restaurant. Export Stout? Sure! Whatever you say! I swear, I'd like to eat this beer for dinner three or four times a month. I think this tastes great enough to give it a 4.5.

Thin. The flavors carry out better that way, perhaps. Still, I'd like a little more body than a flaccid and semi-flat watery juice beer. I guess with a recipe like this, you don't need to pay attention to all the details? Still, it suffers here.

I'm starting to second-guess what I look for in an Export Stout. Maybe they should all taste like authentic Indian curry and have a bite that stings. Spicy? I like. Savory? I like. This is a beer that I need to stock up (at least, in this household). My girlfriend calls this the best beer she has EVER had. I disagree, but it might not be too far off. I'm a sucker. Ballast Point nailed it and no one can take that away from them. You're a bold-faced liar if you think this could've been much better. Do you like Indian food? Do you crave the strange and the exotic? C'mon now folks, not much noticeable booze and the idea becomes fruition. Invent a style for a beer like this, and it's a record that will never be broken. So good.

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Getting started just before sunset with this exceedingly unique brew, Ballast Point Indra Kunindra. The style is a foreign export stout, with an emphasis on the 'foreign' flavors; an explosion of Indian spices, most prominently cumin and curry, with hints of coconut and roasted malt on the back end. Finishes with a decent amount of heat from the hot red pepper but it isn't assaulting the palate like some chile beers do. Overall a worthwhile experiment and a super unique experience but I would recommend it only for fans of spicy Indian cuisine. Paired beautifully with spicy-sweet molasses cookies.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix.

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head atop. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, kaffir lime, coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some curry powder, coconut, and kaffir lime. Through the middle, the cayenne and cumin come through with some cinnamon and other spices. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, and kaffir lime.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very interesting blend of curry spices in the export stout. Good overall balance with great complexity.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch tan head with just ok retention

Smell: Cumin and coconut

Taste: Minty, cumin, spicy curry and just a little touch of lime and vanilla. Interesting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with just a bit of heat

Overall: Interesting is the only way I can describe this beer. If you like indian food you will like this beer but it seems to me to be a bit of a strech for a beer.

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

With all the different spices used to make this brew what did I smell, oak barrels.
Only latter as it warmed did i pick up other aromatics. The most aromatic was coconut.
Next would be curry paste.
A light black or ruby brown color with a fast fading head.
Taste is spicy. With coconut and curry and hot cayenne.
I think the stout beer itself is a bit lost amongst the spices.
Drinks smooth and hot.
The best part was the aroma, quite fragrant.
This is a fun beer with a lot of things going on but I think it's too spicy in that it's not balanced well. If the spices were more in line with the stout malts so they each complimented each other, bam!, you got a winner.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, Calif., on Dec. 27, 2012
Price: $7.99
Misc.: N/A

Poured a pitch black color with just over one finger of tan head that dissipated almost right away. Lots of random spots on the sides of the glass, well below average retention on the top.

Smelled unlike anything I’ve had before. Got crayons, yes, crayons first. Coconut followed, along with butter and curry.

All I can say about the taste is, “wow!” Like the smell, unlike anything I’ve had before. Got the coconut and crayon taste first, then got ripped with curry and a boat load of spices, including a lingering hot one at the end. I don’t know Indian food (besides curry), but there had to be tons of Indian notes. Spicy, spicy.

Full-to-medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish.

This was my first foreign export style beer. Although I don’t like Indian food (to me that was what this beer was all about), this was a very interesting beer and something nice to try.

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stoked to try this!

Served in a Port City snifter.

A: Poured black as night and with no head whatsoever. Lots of particles floating around in the beer though. Curious.

S: Holy crap this is a curry bomb! Along with the cumin, coconut, and Kaffir lime, to say this is "India-style" is an understatement.

T: Not for all tastes, for sure. If you hate these spices, this won't be your thing. It's amazing that you can taste each and every one of these spices. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

M: Just enough carbonation to be dangerous, and I really dug the milkiness added by the coconut. That especially rounded out the finish... while the cumin burns the back of your throat!

O: Come one peeps, you know you love this beer! The most unique brew of 2013 so far. I'd have it again.

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

Pours a inky black with a creamy mocha-colored head that settles to a nice cap and leaves lots of streaky lacing. Fantastic nose of sweet malt, coconut, curry powder, and spices. So insane, perfectly captures a Thai curry. Taste is just as amazing, TONS of coconut, chocolate malt, curry powder, and spices with a hit of lime and a subtle chili pepper spiciness that build as the beer warms (and you drink more). Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a medium-full body and good carbonation. Such an insane beer, and truly one of the most unique and memorable I've had!

2.19/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I came into this with an open mind, intrigued by the concept. I love curry, whether cooking simple carrots or sharing a large round table full of vibrant dishes with others.

However, if this is any indication, curry does not belong in beer. It clashes with Indian food, and kills anything else you eat with it. It's just downright offputting in a beer. Describing the actual aspects of it is pointless, as the label says it all.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bottle at 41 F split between a pair of big snifters. 021 D-1 0524 is the bottle code.

Pours dark, with a small beige head, lumpy and slick looking. Opaque, lots of fine carbonation. Smells are limited somewhat by my own congestion, sadly, but I get coffee and chocolate, and a little smoke.

Taste is vanilla, peppery / curry is quite noticeable. Makes me think of brown curry dishes I've had in Japan many times. Not overpowering, just an interesting accent.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, pleasant. Overall, quite tasty. I like it.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

I had to review this beer since I'm guessing it is a love it or hate it kind of beer.

Pours an opaque black with a finger of tan head.

Smell is straight up curry. I get a lot of cumin from the smell. I love cumin so I love the smell of this beer. I'm thinking a lot of folks won't like the scent for a beer.

Taste is straight up curry with a heavy presence of cumin. This is a very unique beer but I'm not sure everyone will like it. While I do enjoy it I think I can only take a small amount of this beer. It has a little pepper heat on the finish. If you hate this beer I can see it being a great marinade for meat.

Mouth feel is nice and smooth.

Overall, this beer is not for everyone and even for people who like it, I'm not sure how much you can drink. I'd think eight or ten ounces may be the limit. After having half a glass the heat does start to build. Nothing painful but it does add up.

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Indra Kunindra pours a black color with a small lacing tan head. There is a slight curry aroma, with hints of coconuts. The taste is a creamy curry flavor, with mixtures of coconut, and finish with just a little heat and the cayenne pepper comes through. Great body, great flavors. Overall, very complex, the curry and coconut blend together great, and the warm aftertaste and pepper flavors are even better.

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - Pours cola brown with a tan, finger width head. Sub-par retention, fizzing away to a near barren surface and a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Milk chocolate, light earth and a serious spicy undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose. Sweet chocolate notes upfront, followed quickly by a hot, spicy and earthy flavor. Finish is much the same, with a mix of sweet and spice.

Mouthfeel - Full in body with moderate carbonation. Slick texture before the dry, burning finish.

Overall - Nice heat with the sweet combining for an odd, unique and mostly pleasant drinking experience. Everything the Rogue Sriracha hot stout should have been, but wasn't.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

$ 7.64/bomber ($ 0.347/oz) at Oppermann’s Cork N Ale, Saginaw, MI
Undated bomber at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter, allowed to warm to 50 degrees
Aroma – basically, curry
Head large (Five cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, rapidly diminishing to a three mm ring and no layer
Lacing - none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor – curry, definitely curry, burns my mouth. Not really picking up any stout qualities. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate full, almost creamy, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

A: pours slick black with a quarter inch medium khaki head looks delish until I look at the bottom of the glass unfortunately there are some kind chunks that have sunk to the bottom, not sure if it's lime rind or some of the spices clumped together but it's not appealing.
S: wow....amazing!! every ingredient listed is definitely apparent in the aroma, the lime is most pronounced as you pour it but after its warmed a bit the curry and cumin come out quit a bit follow by the cayenne finally the coconut being the most minimum
T: Again, wow! spot on! all flavors blend together gloriously, the cayenne hits in the end of the after taste along side the lime, the spices of the curry and cumin hit mid-palate with a hint of lime, the coconut is lacking unfortunately. Also looking for a little roasted malt to balance and bring it all together, if this had been given more time to mellow it'd be even more amazing.
F: could definitely be less carbonated, I'd say it's a medium to medium high carbonated stout. I'm sure time would help this too.
O.A. amazing stout, unlike anything I've ever seen before. Needs more time in the bottle been in my fridge for 2 months, should have waited 2 to 3 more, but as always curiousity got the best of me!

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle.

Pours opaque black with a half inch head of beige. A few whisps on the surface and elongated dots of lacing throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with bakers chocolate, Kahlua, espresso, coconut, and spice.
Hints of curry, mint, and peppercorns follow through. Hawaiin Tropic suntan lotion drizzeled over Oreo cookies.

Full bodied with a snappy, prickly mouthfeel.

Charred malt, dark chocolate, coffee beans, and chili peppers start the palate. Coconut shavings, spicy curry, and white pepper follow through.

Finishes with a lingering throat burn, bitter chocolate, and coconut.

Interesting beer, but definately one to split a bottle with 2-3 people.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with just some fizzy bubbles rising. Looks like a glass of Pepsi.

Holy shit what a nose on this. Lime, coconut, curry are big big aromas. Some charred malt in there somewhere.

Odd spiced brew. I only truly got all the flavors by reviewing it. The choice of stout works as a vehicle to carry the rest of the flavors. Curry, lime, and essence of coconut. Then, huge cayenne burn, with a good charred malt bitter push. The spices and essence flavors move aside, and the cayenne and stout notes stay. Now it is a peppered stout. Finishes with a burn and an french roast coffee bitterness.

Fuller bodied with carbonation that, if you belch, brings a pepper burn back.

Interesting. One to share (as this is a bomber). Hard to finish, but not because you dislike it, but because it is just alot of spice.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company