Big Eye IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2000

Ratings: 4,296 |  Reviews: 1,116

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was at Whole Foods and noticed an IPA from Ballast Point, which I had not heard of before..I was not disappointed.

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Golden orange with half a finger of foam....a little cooler than I would have liked.

S- Citrus, pine, grapefruit

T- Winner winner chicken dinner! Slight malt presence with hops that are in your face yet not overbalanced. It is what I like in an IPA

M- medium carbonation, slightly syrupy

Overall, I give this beer a 4.75...I would love to try a few more to get a better handle on it. This is a great example of an IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 26/3/14

A clear light copper, loads of tiny particles being moved around by steady streams, finger of foam slowly falls to a thin film but leaves zero lace

S grapefruit peel, dried apricots, some pine, lots of burnt brown sugar, faintly floral, nothing really jumps out with intensity

T more pine, a little lemon, and more citrus in general, still has plenty of brown sugar, tastes stronger then it smells, a slight improvement

M mild bitter bite, creams up a little from the bubbles, lots of grit, leaning towards full, brown sugar, pine and rind linger, booze is just noticeable

O decent beer but a bit of a let down for me, I was hoping for another Sculpin but this one falls a little short

5 months to the BB date I thought this one would be a little fresher, I'm guessing its 7 months old at this point not the one I was hoping for. It's far from bad beer and I do like it but my one other offering from this brewery was a memorable hop bomb.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%