Big Eye IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2000

Ratings: 4,296 |  Reviews: 1,116
3.91/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a copper color with a finger of head that took some time to completely dissipate and left some lace behind when it finally faded away. The nose has both hop notes and malt notes. The malt backbone is not as prominent in the flavor profile as the nose might suggest. The finish is semi-dry and pleasantly hoppy. This is a solid IPA, but it simply can’t come close to its cousin – Sculpin.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Date: 3/19/14
Location: Hock and Hops
Draught/Bottle: Can
Glassware: Delirium Tremens Tulip
Appearance: An amber/brown colored beer with a huge head pour. The head stays for a while as you watch the carbonation settle down immensely.
Aromatics: The smell is of oranges, grapefruit the hops dominate my nose. Much larger smell of malts then Sculpin as well. Missing a lot of the aroma because of a cold though.
Flavor: The oranges are what hit me with this beer. I feel like they are all over my palate. I'm also getting a lot of the hops in a more resin kind of way. The tongue feel is more bitter because of the hops. The malts are there in the background a good bit.
Finish: The hop resin holds to my mouth and helps to keep the orange flavor to my tongue. I'm also getting a load of carbonation just sitting there also.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

A- Lots of floating sediments, off white head, pretty cloudy, not typical for a non-bottle conditioned IPA

S- Piney and orangey, pleasant enough

T- Starts fair and pleasing, picking up bitter orange peel and pine, finishes way too bitter for my liking, almost like a chemical bitterness

M- Kind of flabby but and lots of carbonation, nothing special

O- Definitely expecting more out of this beer, maybe a poor or outdated batch? (couldn't find a bottling/canning date). Maybe will give it a chance of redemption in the future with a new batch but wouldn't buy this again.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

So I was on a Ballast Point quest this weekend. I had Bigeye first, then tried the over-hyped Sculpin. But lets touch on the Bigeye. I don't really care what my beer looks like, it's all about the taste. And this ale is VERY average, kind of bland, and forgettable. Much like Sculpin, the bitter aftertaste is extremely off-putting. In fact, the bitterness of this offering over-powers any other taste. If somebody offered me this beer, I'd drink it, but would never go out of my way to buy it again. I've been completely disapointed with Ballast Point - there's so much hype - but so little to take from the ales. Other than bitter and hard to drink. A craft brew should be exceptional - to be honest a larger brewery like Sierra Nevada has offerings that blow this away. (think Torpedo). Not to mention a top end crafter. Do't go out of your way to try this one.

3.25/5  rDev -20%