Indra Kunindra - Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrel Aged | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 06-03-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.54/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very boozy, as is becoming very apparent with all of their barrel aged offerings. Flavors are there but I don't think this came together as well as I hoped it would, prefer the base

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from tap into shaker, minimal tan head which recedes quickly. Jet black to look at. Smells of Indra Kunindra, curry in a glass with a shot of bourbon thrown in. Not going to go into lengths on tasting notes, but this is a muted version of the base beer. Where the curry spices jumped out at you, and the lime peaks out in the middle, then you are slammed with the cayenne pepper on the end, that is now tamed down by the time spent in the barrel. While I love the base beer, it can be a chore to drink sometimes. The barrel lends some mild vanilla/oak which helps dumb down the assault of the original and there is a nice pleasant bourbon flavor lingering in the background. I have a feeling I will be stopping by this bar next week several times to help them finish this keg off.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

1.44/5  rDev -64.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Taste like black liquorish. Smell was like sirup but I couldn't finish it..

4.94/5  rDev +22.9%

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

One of the beer tenders at Ballast Point Brewery gave me sample to try on 11/14/2014 (even though wasn't listed on their beer menu) to see all the flavors in this beer.... I love Thai food and this would pair great with a Pad Thai or Curry type dish... but the sample was enough for me. I like just about all the beers I've tried from Ballast Point, but this was more or a experiment type beer not one I'd regularly order, but also glad to at least tried it.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

4.1/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served on-draught into a 4.5oz taster glass at 38 Degrees in Alhambra last weekend. Cost was $4.5 USD ($1/oz). Reviewed from notes. Expectations were fairly high; I wasn't huge on the base beer but I like Ballast Point. The bar was crowded and busy and I wasn't able to go into as much depth during my review as I would have liked.

A: Pours a one finger head of beige colour. Lovely creamy. Luscious. Lush. Inviting. Great thickness. Soft complexion. Great retention (~4-5+ minutes). Body colour is a silky dark black. Quite appealing.

Sm: Subtle distinct curry powder. Dark malts. Chocolate malt. Cream. Chocolate. I like the curry powder in particular; it sets this beer apart. Some unrefined sugars as well. Balanced and inviting. Surprisingly moderate in strength. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not getting much from the bourbon barrel, though.

T: Amazingly well incorporated curry powder. Very well balanced and built. Lovely cream. Chocolate. Chocolate malt. Dark malts. Lovely rounded flavour profile. Spice never overwhelms the dark undertones. No real hop presence. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Again, the bourbon barrel notes aren't coming through a great deal. Maybe they're just subtle; I do like this better than the base beer.

Mf: Creamy, full-bodied. Dusty. Perfect thickness. A bit scratchy. Slight overcarbonation. Good presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: Very drinkable, but I'd have to say the barrel notes are quite restrained. They could be just very subtle; this is a definite improvement on the base Indra Kunindra. Hides its ABV well. I'd get it again. Another good brew from Ballast Point. I'd like to revisit this in order to go into more depth.

B+

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Indra Kunindra - Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrel Aged from Ballast Point Brewing Company